Inspiration from Boston

Just like in years past, I tuned in yesterday to follow along during the Boston Marathon.  Although a busy day at work prevented me from spending as much time following along as I would have liked to, it was still awe inspiring to see so many people from so many walks of life take to the streets of Boston.  One of the most inspiring images I saw yesterday was of bombing survivor Rebekah Gregory DiMartino.

If this isn't inspirational, I don't know what is.

If this isn’t inspirational, I don’t know what is.

Seeing images like this makes me think long and hard about why it is that I run.  More importantly than any other reason, I run to prove to myself that I can do it.  Prior to starting to run a little over two years ago, I never imagined that running would be, or could be, a part of my life.  But it has become a major part of my life, and now I can’t imagine my life without running as a part of it.

Sure, the speed at which the elite runners run at is inspiring in its own way, and by no means do I want to discredit their abilities.  But for me, its seeing people overcome the odds that are the most inspirational, and remind me why it is that I push my own boundaries and refuse to let my own obstacles dictate what I can or cannot do.

Its people like Rebekah Gregory DiMartino that made me want to push myself on the treadmill last night after a long day at work.  I could have easily said that I was too tired and spent the evening relaxing on the couch instead.  Instead, I walked into the gym, and found the motivation to push myself forward.  Thank you Rebekah for inspiring me!

Feeling great after last night's strong treadmill run

Feeling great after last night’s strong treadmill run

QOTD: How does the Boston Marathon serve as a source of inspiration for you?

I’m linking up today with Erika from MCM Mama Runs, Patty from My No-Guilt Life, and April from Run the Great Wide Somewhere for the Tuesdays on the Run Linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well!

Tuesdays-on-the-run

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Inspiration from Boston

1. LIke you, I love following the elites for their skill and talent, but what really inspires me are the stories of everyday people like us battling through training and/or a tough race!

2. FitMomma says:

The Boston Marathon makes me want to be a better runner…I want to run with the best of the best so therefore I have to become BETER. My goal for 2015 is to become better/stronger/faster!!

3. The Boston Marathon is amazing! So many people who worked so hard to get there! And then to get to fulfill their dream! It’s so emotional!

4. Great job! I had to go for a run yesterday too after watching!

5. The Boston runners are such an inspiration, especially since the tragedy 2 years ago. I find that running is always providing challenges to tackle that really prove my strength and determination. It’s something I hope I can do for the rest of my life!

I read her story in ESPNW. On top of everything she went through, she had to testify at the trial. She was shown SportsCenter this morning with footage showing her getting her medal.

I agree, her story was so inspirational. And when I watched the Marine Corps Marathon last year, it was definitely a lot of the “regular” runners where you could see the struggle in their faces that I found the most inspirational.

8. There is nothing more inspiring than watching Boston. I LOVE it.

9. Rebecca’s story is incredible! I read about her in Runner’s World and she has such a positive spirit. I love that she found strength in that tragedy and did something truly amazing.

10. I am always very inspired by the stories like this from Boston as well!! Runners are truly an amazing group of athletes!

11. I’ve always been in awe of the elites. Their talent is truly inspiring!

12. It’s seeing people like that that makes our problems so trivial. If they can get thru races there is no reason that we can’t.

13. mkadens1 says:

I just read about RDiM earlier this week. So inspiring! I love everything the Boston Marathon stands for and I know firsthand how it feels to qualify and train and run it. It’s still surreal to me.

14. The Boston Marathon is SO inspiring to me. Seeing the elites with pain all over their face still push through and do it for their country is incredible. I always get a bit emotional watching this race more than others! Seeing people reach their goals and have this be their “victory lap” is truly incredible and something I hope to experience one day!

15. Seeing stories like this definitely inspires me the most as well. Overcoming adversity to achieve not just running success, but inner contentment, is wonderful!

16. rebecca’s story is amazing! The whole Boston Marathon is inspiring-one day hopefully I will be able to qualify!

I think races in general provide me inspiration. Not just Boston. Don’t get me wrong, boston is incredibly inspirational, but take a look at MCM too. All of the wounded warriors running on blades….totally amazing! I”m from Boston, and the bombings were devestating and made me want to run the race even more but I think runners are just a strong bunch of people and you find something great with each one!

18. Shalama Jackson says:

I was. I wrote about watching the Boston Marathon from work yesterday as well. I’ve only run one full and will add another to the list next year, but felt like I was inspired to go out for a double digit run. I didn’t, but my heart raced as I watched in anticipation of all that was happening.

19. Lily Lau says:

Boston marathon will always be so inspirational… my heart goes with all of you there 🙂

20. d20girl says:

The Boston Marathon is so inspiring to me because it is the pinnacle race for so many people who earned it through awesome race times or raising funds for awesome not-for-profits. It seems like almost every runner has a story and I love watching them from the elites to the last runner to finish! Thanks for linking up with us today!

21. HoHo Runs says:

It inspires me to push harder. What I struggle with is absolutely nothing compared to what some people have overcome. It gives you a big healthy dose of perspective.

22. Yes the Boston Marathon is amazing and seeing the survivors is inspirational, but all marathons are 26.2 miles. I’m inspired by all runners who push through their limits and achieve that goal.

23. Seeing the survivors is amazing and just seeing everyone else run too. I know that I would someday want to run this race.

24. MCM Mama says:

I love watching the elites finish, but it’s the human interest stories that get me every time. Glad you got your run in!

25. jillconyers says:

I challenge anyone to NOT be inspired by Boston (and many other races)! Whether it’s the physical strength and stamina of the athletes or the determination of the runners, it all inspires.

26. Sam @ PancakeWarriors says:

Yes, she was certainly an inspiration for me as well. I love that he came back strong! What an awesome story! I love stories like yours where people pick up running and it becomes their new passion!

27. It inspires me to work harder and seeing everyone at the marathon who have worked so to be there… just beautiful!

28. #RebekahStrong. This story has helped me to feel stronger. I still struggle sometimes with PTSD from 2013.

Rebekah’s story was incredible – very inspiring and left my teary-eyed.