My Goals for Sunday’s Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

On Sunday I’ll be running my fifth race of the year – the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run.  You may recall that last year’s race didn’t go as I had hoped that it would, and resulted in a bad taste being left in my mouth about this race.  I’m hoping for a much better experience this year.  I’ve already checked and I’ve been placed in the correct corral for this year, so that’s already an improvement over last year’s experience.  That has me hopeful that this year’s race experience will be better than last year’s.

After finishing the 2014 Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

After finishing the 2014 Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

Since Shamrock Half Marathon, I’ve only run a handful of times, which does include a 6 mile run that I completed on Saturday.  Although I had intended to run more than once while on vacation last week, it didn’t happen.  And I’m okay with that.  My body and mind needed a break after Shamrock.

I’m looking forward to this race for a couple of reasons.  The peak bloom for the cherry blossoms is still predicted to happen this weekend, which will make for gorgeous scenery along the course.  Several area bloggers will be running the race, and I can’t wait to see them.  And right now, Preston is planning to run the race with me instead of at his own pace (although he could still make the last minute decision to run on his own and meet me at the finish line).

Because my Spring goal race was almost two weeks ago, I won’t be pushing myself on Sunday like I did at Shamrock.  That doesn’t mean that I don’t have goals though.  And if a PR happens (my current PR was set at the Army Ten Miler back in October), then great, but if a PR doesn’t happen then I won’t be disappointed either.

So what are my goals for Sunday’s race?

Goal A – Finish the race in under 1:46:40 (10:40 pace) – my pace from Shamrock Half Marathon

Goal B – Finish the race in under 1:53:02 (11:18 pace) – my current ten miler PR pace

Goal C – Finish the race in under 1:58:44 (11:52 pace) – last year’s Cherry Blossom finish time

QOTD: Do you push yourself to PR at every race, do you just run some races for fun?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to My Goals for Sunday’s Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

1. kstewjones says:

i usually try to have some sort of goal in mind to keep me motivated and focused. I set my 10- mile PR in March so this race is just about having fun and hopefully seeing cherry blossoms! I missed them last year! I do love this race and I had a great time last year. It is more of a girls weekend this time around! Good luck and hope you enjoy the race!!

2. Coco says:

I am excited that the trees will be in bloom this year! I seem to accept that the Reston 10 Miler course is hard enough without setting an agressive pace goal. I did so well at Cherry Blossom last year I can only hope to do the same.

3. ishouldrun says:

Good luck! I bet you beat your Shamrock time. Sometimes those races right after a race have your best times. I did that in my Miami half after Disney Marathon (2 weeks later). But to answer your question, no, I don’t feel like I do any races for fun. I always try to push a PR on some level. I wish I could just relax and enjoy the moment when I know my time won’t be that great, but I can’t.

This one sounds like a great one to run for fun. I haven’t been in DC for the cherry blossoms and I know I would be enjoying the scenery if I ever did this race.

5. Good luck to you!! I bet the race course will be beautiful with all those cherry blossoms! Love that you set three goals for yourself. I do the same thing. I actually am a day of and sometimes in the middle of a race decider to try for a PR or not. I hate training for a target PR race only to come up short. I run several races for fun only or help other friends reach their PR goals. I love pacing!

It should be beautiful scenery for your race Sunday. You will certainly beat your time from last year, and maybe get a PR with the speed you have developed over the last 12 months. I only “race” certain races and PR attempts only happen a few times a year. This year I have far fewer races on my calendar, but since I PR’ed the half in February, I am not certain I will be going for any more PR’s.

7. runsaltrun says:

I love how you set up your goals and I will be rooting for you to get your A! I feel a PR is coming for you. 😀 Good luck this weekend!

8. christyruns says:

Good luck hitting your goals! I don’t try to PR at every race anymore, but maybe secretly I am always hoping I do, 🙂

9. hope to see you sunday! i don’t try to PR at every race – i think i’d drive myself crazy if i did!!

10. Goodluck at the CheRey Blossom. Hopefully it will be a better experience than it was last yr for you. I don’t think every race people should set themselves up for a PR. That way they do not get disappointed. I haven’t had a PR in forever and that’s ok. I still enjoy running.

11. I’ve heard that race is so beautiful! Even if you aren’t feeling up for a PR run, you can enjoy the scenery :).
    I don’t run every race to PR. I usually use shorter races to just enjoy, and then really train to get faster for longer races. In fact, I have no idea what my 5K or 4-mile race times are because I never track them! I have a 4-miler this weekend, though, so maybe I’ll keep tabs.

12. mkadens1 says:

All the best this weekend! That race sounds like a great one. I rarely if ever push myself anymore. Never say never, but I suspect my PRs are behind me. Now I run for the joy of it.

Good luck! It sounds like it should be a beautiful morning for the race 🙂 I definitely have certain races where my goal is to push myself and others where it’s just to have fun. I cherish both of them for different reasons.

14. It’s good to have a finish goal…I have a 10 miler coming up next weekend. I haven’t decided if I’m going for a PR or just a strong race!

15. Great goals! I would love to PR at every race, but if I know I haven’t done the training then I do not push myself to PR.

16. Sam @ PancakeWarriors says:

wootwoot you got this girl!! The cherry blossoms are seriously so gorgeous! I hope they are at their max for you this weekend!

17. Sun says:

Best of luck at the race this weekend! All those cherry blossoms will make for a beautiful course 🙂

I like to push myself at most races, but not always a PR-worthy push. Sometimes I go into a race and view it more as a hard workout. It will require some effort but not all-out racing pain!

18. Good luck on Sunday!!! I wanted to run CB this year – it would have been my first time – but I missed registration {new mom brain!}, so hopefully next year 🙂 It’s supposed to be a gorgeous day!

19. I hope you have a great race girl! I have been pushing myself to PR every race lately. But I have a half marathon next weekend and I’m planning on just running that one for fun.

20. I hope this year’s race goes more smoothly than last year! I also hope you crush that goal! 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun

21. I’m with you, I’ve only run a handful of times since Shamrock plus the MCM 11 miler that was so tough. This was a late addition race for me so I have no plans to try and PR but hey if it happes – great. Good luck with your goals! Hopefully I’ll finally get to catch up with you at a local race!!

22. NutriFitMama says:

I hope you achieve your goals at this race! I hope this is a great time and you enjoy it 🙂

23. I’ll be running Cherry Blossom too, I’m so excited to be running it for the first time. Good luck, and I hope you hit your A goal!!

24. Some races you just have to run for fun! I think you’ll DEFINITELY be able to beat last years time with all your training, and that’s normally what I set out to do on a repeat race. Have fun!

25. Great goals and good luck!

Hope you have a much better Cherry Blossom experience this year. I have set some goals, but not thinking PR right now (if I do or get close to it, will be happy). I will be running with my friend Rachel and will be a nice long run for St. Michaels training.

27. Have a great race! The slower 1/2 is running again and hoping the weather is better than the Rock ‘n’ Roll DC marathon last month! 😉

28. Juliana says:

this race sounds like it is going to be gorgeous! I usually try and PR almost every race I do minus disney ones. My disney ones are for PRing in fun (the more picture stops, the better). local races I do try and PR as much as I can or at least shoot for a course PR. best of luck this weekend!

29. Pingback: Weekly Training Log – Week of April 6th | From Dancing to Running