April 2015 Monthly Goals

I don’t usually wait until six days into the month to share my monthly goals, but given that I decided to take the second half of last week off from blogging while I continued to enjoy our vacation, and then spent the weekend super busy with errands, chores, and an Easter celebration with extended family, there just hasn’t been time to sit down and write!

Last month was quite an interesting month.  Now that the weather is finally starting to get nicer here in Northern Virginia (and will hopefully stay that way!), I tried to be outside as much as possible.  Whether that meant completing a long run outside, going for extra walks with Riley, or simply just being outside, it meant that my time at the gym became limited.  And thus, I didn’t do as much weight training as I usually do.  While weight training wasn’t one of my March goals, its always something on my mind.

This past month also included my ongoing chiropractic care from January’s car accident (I’m still seeing the chiropractor three times a week), which also takes time away from working out.  I also worked more long days each week than I prefer, but I’m hopeful that that’ll change this month as we enter fourth quarter at school, which usually means fewer students wanting to stay after school for extra help.

Despite how busy this past month was outside of working out, I’m proud of the fitness goals that I was able to accomplish.

mar 2015 goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 75 miles.

Grade: A

Not only did I meet my goal, but I crushed it with my highest mileage month yet: 85.6 miles, topping my 85.2 miles from December 2013.  Running four races definitely helped push me to a new monthly best (St. Patrick’s Day Double, Shamrock 8k, and Shamrock Half Marathon – which I know I still need to recap), as did all of my training leading up to my goal race, my fourth half marathon.

2.  PR at my fourth half marathon.

Grade: A

I’ve already shared with all of you that I not only met my A goal, but that I crushed it, by PRing by over 10 minutes.  I’m hopeful that now that I’m back from vacation that I’ll be able to share my recap with all of you this week.  It definitely wasn’t an easy PR to achieve!

3.  Cross train at least once a week.

Grade: C

I was better about cross training some weeks more than others.  I know how important cross training is, and being busy shouldn’t be an excuse for not fitting it in.

Now that I’m not “in training” for a major race, my monthly goals are shifting a bit.  While they are still fitness and general health oriented, they’re a bit different than they’ve been for awhile since my fitness focus has also temporarily shifted until I start training for half marathon number five.

april 2015 goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 60 miles.

Yes, this is a huge decrease from last month.  But since I’m taking a break from training for a major race, this month will be a test to see how much mileage I can log even when I’m not in training.

2.  Get enough sleep.

I will fully admit that with how busy March was that I did not get enough sleep.  I need to be better about going to bed at a decent hour, especially during the week.

3.  Weight train at least twice a week.

Now that I’m not currently focusing on training for a race, I want to spend more time working on weight training.  The amount I’m able to lift is still not at my pre-car accident amount, and I’m not able to lift for as long as I would like to, nor am I able to do all of the weight training activities I want to do.  Anything that involves my lower back either cannot be done or can only be done with a very small amount of weight.  But the little weight training I am able to do I want to focus on to help make myself stronger.

QOTD: What are your goals for this April?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Training and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to April 2015 Monthly Goals

1. I think March was a strong month for you! All of that training paid off and you had a great race.
    Sometimes a decrease in mileage is necessary to give yourself a little break 🙂
    Hope the weather continues to get nicer, it makes me want to run more when the sun is out and it’s warm! 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun

2. NutriFitMama says:

March sounds like it was a good month! April I have no races to train for, so I’ve actually been biking more lately. I am finding my love for biking has returned, and I can see running much less… we shall see!

3. Woohooo way to crush your mileage goal and PR!!! One of my goals is more sleep too and I will be stepping up my strength training before I start marathon training!

Congrats on a great month. It sometimes is nice to have a break from a goal race and just enjoy exercising and working out for fun. In the past few years, I have worked hard at goals and then had two week breaks with nothing followed by some easy workouts. It makes the hard training alot easier.

5. 85 miles, WOW! THAT’S AWESOME! My goals are to get back on my bike and ride more.

6. Great goals! My goals are to continue to eat well to nourish my body and get serious on my weight lifting program 😊 have a great week.

7. mkadens1 says:

You crushed March goals! I think you are wise to pull back a little this month. Give your body time to recover, refresh and come back stronger! My goal is to ease back into running after this respiratory infection. Oh and I’ve got my first tri later this month. Eeek!

8. You really worked hard on your goals with training and stuff. It’s good to see that the car accident didn’t effect you that terribly, hence the new PR!

9. March sounds successful, and I’m sure April will be even better. Sleep cannot be overemphasized!

10. Great job on crushing the goals! Now that spring has sprung, it will be so much easier to get out there and get it done.

11. Getting enough sleep yes I need more of that. I am working on adding another swim day to my week for April and getting outside on my bike instead of spin class.

Great job with March! I can tell when I don’t get enough sleep and it’s never a good thing.

13. Elle says:

Sounds like March was a great month! I have never been comfortable on the elliptical. They have very good ones at the gym I occasionally go to… you can change the plane so that you are working different parts of your leg, but I still do prefer running outside!

Good luck with April!

14. Wow! You ROCKED the month of March girl! You are doing so great with your running…I know the lifting will get better and better as well!

15. Mine is to increase my “plank time” to two minutes at once. Trying to make it a habit to plank every day!

16. Looks like you had a great month!! My goal this month is more ab work! I’m so bad about not adding it in!

17. I definitely struggle to find a balance between running and cross training.

My goal is to get my training runs in for the month. It’s been a very up and down training cycle for me!

18. way to crush it!!! my goal is to just learn to love fitness again for what it gives me – not worrying about training and times etc. I feel like I’ve fallen off the wagon a bit!

19. Way to go on last months goals!!! That’s how you crush a goal!!!
    I do like your goals for this month! I actually really like that you set goals each month, such a great idea!!!!

20. Love that you create monthly goals. I just don’t seem to be able to get around to doing that. Good luck on your April goals!

21. I love that you are going to dial back on the cardio and make weight training a focus as well! Way to dominate your goals in March!

22. jillconyers says:

You crushed your March goals! WTG! I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have monthly goals but I’m trying no-goals-April. We’ll see how it goes 🙂

23. great goals! one of my April goals is to get more into core strength training which will be good for me and also good for my running

24. Those are great goals! 🙂 My goals for April is to stay healthy, injury FREE, and to stay active. 🙂

Yay for March! I like your sleep goal for April. I’ve been making an effort to get to bed a little earlier the past couple of weeks and I am feeling much better. Hope you can catch up on some rest this month.

26. GiselleR says:

Congrats on your March goals. March wasn’t too great a month for me so it’s great to see others killing it. Here’s to hoping April gets better!

27. Pingback: May 2015 Monthly Goals | From Dancing to Running