Friday Five – March 27th – Florida, Here We Come!

Tomorrow Preston and I are leaving on a jet plane for one of our favorite places – Florida!  This trip will be unlike any of our previous trips to Florida, as we’re combining a lot of our favorite activities into one trip, instead of just going to Disney World or just going to the beach.  In the coming week, I’m looking forward to:

1.  Exploring a new to both of us beach.  We’ll be spending the first three nights of our trip in Cocoa Beach, and I cannot wait to put my feet in the sand, lounge around the pool, and enjoy some great seafood.

During our last Florida beach trip - Key West in April 2012

During our last Florida beach trip – Key West in April 2012

2.  Spending my birthday at the beach.  My birthday is on Monday, and when I first discovered that my birthday fell over Spring Break this year, I told Preston that I wanted to spend my birthday at the beach.  If I could, I would live at the beach, and I’m beyond excited to be able to spend my birthday in an environment that makes me so happy.

3.  Eating at five brand new to me Disney restaurants, three of which are also new to Preston.  We have a habit of making reservations at Disney restaurants that we’ve eaten at before and really like, but we decided to push ourselves outside of our comfort zone for this trip.  We only have one reservation at a restaurant that I’ve eaten at before, and that’s because Be Our Guest only recently started accepting reservations for lunch.  When I found out about the change last month, I immediately jumped on the computer and made a lunch reservation for one of the days that we’ll be at Magic Kingdom.

4.  Going to a Phillies Spring Training game.  For me, spring and summer aren’t complete without baseball, and I cannot wait to spend an afternoon in Clearwater cheering the Phillies on!

At our first Phillies Spring Training game in Clearwater in February 2011

At our first Phillies Spring Training game in Clearwater in February 2011

5.  Spending a week away with my husband.  Although we’ve done several weekends away by ourselves, Preston and I haven’t taken a week long vacation just the two of us since summer 2012 that didn’t involve a race.  I can’t wait to spend some much needed R&R time with my husband.

With us headed to Florida, I’m not sure that I’ll blogging everyday while we’re away.  I know many of you are anxiously awaiting my Shamrock 8k and Shamrock Half Marathon recaps, and while I plan to work on writing those on the plane tomorrow morning, I also want to do the recaps justice and don’t want to just throw them together.  I hope you all understand, and I promise, those recaps will be coming soon!

QOTD: When you travel do you try out new restaurants or stick to what you’re familiar with?

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Friday Five – March 27th – Florida, Here We Come!

Have a wonderful birthday in Florida Kathryn. It sounds like you have a relaxing and fun vacation planned.

2. Hope you have a fantastic spring break!!! Don’t worry one bit about the recaps – I’ll be anxiously awaiting them when you get back. A vacation from blogging is good too. 🙂 I can totally understand the sentiment of wanting a week away without a race. I feel like I’ve been constantly traveling but it’s the same sort of thing – long weekends with a race thrown in there. I’ve been daydreaming about a beach vacation A LOT lately!

3. Happy birthday Kathryn! I hope you have an amazing trip with Preston!

4. Have an awesome vacation in Florida! You deserve it 🙂

5. Have a fabulous time in Florida. I love trying out new restaurants but it’s hard to not go to the ones you know you like. I didn’t know Be our guest makes lunch reservations now. Good to know! Make sure you try the Grey stuff. I heard it’s delicious. .haha.

6. NutriFitMama says:

Have FUN! Florida has so many things to do. I like to try out new things when we are out of town. I do my best NOT to stick with anything I can get back at home 🙂

Have a great spring break and happy early birthday! We do have our favorites at Disney but I did check out the new Italian restaurant at the Boardwalk when I was at my conference. It was good but I can get most of the menu choices here at home.

Sounds like a great birthday vacation! I hope you have a great time and lots of opportunity to relax 🙂

9. Have so much fun! Eating in Disney is our favorite.

10. Just found your blog! sounds like you had an amazing week, I wish I could spend my bday at the beach. Happy belated bday, have a great weekend=)

11. have a wonderful trip! i love the beach as well 🙂

12. katemovingforward1234 says:

Your vacation sounds fantastic!! So relaxing and fun and warm! We are going on our first real family vacation (aka NOT visiting other family/with family) since our honeymoon in a few weeks and I’m soo thrilled. It’s gonna rock!

13. How fun!! Have a great time!

14. When I travel I love trying new restaurants! But, if there’s one that I really loved from my last visit, I will probably go back.

15. Hope you have an amazing time! Jealous of warm weather. My boys are huge phillies fans as well. Have a great birthday!

16. Have an awesome time in FL! I am super jealous, we are supposed to get some snow this weekend! EEK!

17. We’ve been in Florida all week, and it’s been great! We’re on the Gulf coast. I hope you have great weather. Every day has been awesome but it’s raining right now. I’m ok with it, because I get to catch up on all my blogs.

Have a wonderful trip!

18. My hubby and I usually don’t travel to the same place more than once so we don’t have the opportunity to go back to the same restaurant. We do have our favorite restaurants to hit up locally though and it can be difficult to have the motivation to try a new place.

19. Farrah says:

That’s awesome that you get to spend your birthday at the beach! I hope you have a lot of fun! Don’t worry about blogging and just enjoy your time in Florida in the sunshine! (Happy early birthday! <3)

20. Sweaty Mess says:

Happy Birthday! Have a grat time! I always try to find something new when I travel, I’m actually planning a Disney trip this fall, the only repeat meal we are having is O’hanas.

21. Happy early Birthday! I’m going down to DisneyWorld at the end of April so I’ll love to hear how your trip goes. My sister is working there right now and is trying hard to get us Be Our Guest reservations! I’m a Phillies fan too 🙂

22. Sharon says:

Sounds like a fun birthday trip! Have a wonderful time!!

23. Happy Birthday!! What a wonderful way to spend your birthday! If you could send some of that sun and warmth to the DC area-that would be greatly appreciatted :).

Enjoy your time together!

When I travel I always do a base restaurant and a few new ones.

24. GiselleR says:

I haven’t been to Florida in ages but I love it. Have fun on the beach!! I’ll be dreaming of it while here is still super cold Canada 😉

25. Happy early Birthday!! I hope you have an amazing and restful weekend!! Love the Phillies (grew up in Philly) and would love to see them in spring training! Have a blast!

26. Sounds like a great trip! I love trying new restaurants. Hope you have a great birthday!!

27. Sounds like an awesome vacation and what a great way to spend your birthday. When we travel we always try new restaurants. We just love to eat! Have wonderful trip and enjoy the Phillies, I too am a Phillies Phanatic, grew up outside the city 🙂

28. Hi Kathryn! Trips away with your hubby are the best. I lived in Florida my entire life until a couple years ago when I moved to San Francisco. I worked at Disney too, so am still a huge fan of all the parks. Some of my best meals have been at Disney Resorts. And the beach? Yay! I tend to like the Gulf Coast beaches more, but Cocoa is fun too. Have a wonderful and relaxing time!! 🙂

29. jillconyers says:

I hope you had a wonderful trip! We love to try new local restaurants when we travel.