My Spring “Training” Plan

With my big Spring race now behind me, its time to turn my training focus elsewhere.  Although I’ll be running other races this Spring, including the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run in just under three weeks, these races aren’t going to be a major focus of my training.

After finishing the 2014 Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

After finishing the 2014 Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

Currently, my next “big” race isn’t until Labor Day Weekend when I’ll be running Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach, so my focus until I start training in May for Virginia Beach will be conditioning and maintaining my current running strength.  However, I’m contemplating adding one or two 10ks to my Spring race calendar in an effort to get a better proof of time for Wine and Dine, so that may slightly alter this plan.

That doesn’t mean that I won’t be taking my Spring races seriously.  But mentally and physically I’m in need of a bit of a break from long weekend runs.  I’ve spent the past 18 weeks focused on training for Shamrock, which has required a lot of time and dedication, especially on the weekends.  Over the past 18 weeks I’ve encountered my fair share of obstacles, the biggest one being my car accident on January 28th, and I’ve pushed through and refused to let those obstacles prevent me from continuing to train.  But for now, I’m in need of a break.

Preston and I have lots of exciting activities on our calendar for this Spring, and I’m ready to turn my focus on the weekends to things other than running for awhile.  Plus, we leave for Florida Saturday morning and I don’t want to feel guilty not doing a lot of running while we’re on vacation.  While I plan to pack my running shoes, the focus of our time in Florida will be on relaxing and enjoying our time away together.  Although we’ll be spending some time lounging around the beach and pool, we’ll also be doing plenty of walking during our days at Disney World.

I also want to give my back some time to rest.  Since the car accident, I’ve been seeing the chiropractor three times a week, which has significantly helped in alleviating my back pain.  However, at mile 8 during Sunday’s Shamrock Half Marathon my back started throbbing, so much that I contemplated walking the rest of the race.  I obviously didn’t (and will explain what motivated me to keep going when I write my race recap), but my back is screaming for some rest.  At yesterday’s appointment, my chiropractor wasn’t shocked to hear how much pain I was in given how tight my lower back was, so clearly its time to slow down for awhile and give my back the rest its screaming for.

So that’s my current plan: to take it easy for the next couple of weeks.  If I PR at Cherry Blossom, great, but if I don’t, I’m okay with that too.  My hard work over the past 18 weeks resulted in a massive PR, and if that’s my only PR for awhile I’m more than okay with that.

QOTD: Are you always “in training” for a particular race or do you ever allow yourself a mental and physical break from training?

This entry was posted in Training and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to My Spring “Training” Plan

1. You definitely earned a break! I see a lot of people “in training” constantly and I know that my body can’t handle that. Not to mention that I also like spending time with my friends and Adam on the weekends. Life (and running) are all about balance. Sounds like you’re making a great decision for you!

2. Farrah says:

I think breaks are sometimes necessary, just to give your body that rest that it really needs! (I’m all about finding the balance in life. :] ) I hope your back feels better soon!

3. Colleen says:

That sounds like a very healthy approach! I feel like when I decide to “take a break” from running I find that I really respect and love it that much more. Good for you!!

I think a break from the stress of a training plan is absolutely necessary. I also am amazed at the runners who “run all the races”. Not only is that a financial drain, but also a horrible drain on your body. It just would not be exciting for me to race too frequently either. Your spring vacation sounds great!

I think that is a great plan! I’m defintely ready for that as well, marathon training sucks the life out of me…but yet I keep going back!

6. I think being always in training can be exhausting. Sometimes you just have to give yourself a break and relax. Sounds like you will be doing plenty of that in Florida. Have fun!

7. Glad you are listening to your body and taking that much deserved rest!

8. NutriFitMama says:

I think breaks are totally necessary. BUT I will say that after running this last half, I have a new outlook on running/training. I want to do it all for fun now- I am kind of over the way I was doing things before. It was becoming so serious that I wasn’t having fun anymore!

9. I’m not always in training but I do keep my calendar full of races to motivate me.

I always take a break after a race and it’s great both physically and mentally. I will bike a few days after just to get my legs spinning, but I take a break from the scheduled workouts and just wing it. If I want to veg, I let myself veg.

It sounds like your back (and the rest of you) definitely need this break! It’s well deserved and I hope you enjoy it as well as your time at Disney 🙂 I’ve been training for one race or another since I started running last January so I’m looking forward to my current break of just running for fun until I begin training for Wine and Dine 🙂

12. katemovingforward1234 says:

Absolutely nothing wrong with taking it easier for a little while and diversifying! Sounds like you have a good plan for recovery, rest and racing in the future. 🙂

13. I definitely feel like I am always in training for something. I just finished my half on Sunday and my big race isn’t until Oct (my first marathon) but I will continue running in the meantime to keep my strength as well as incorporate more strength and cross training.

14. Sounds like a bit of an off season is exactly what you need. While I love running and racing, sometimes not having to focus on a training every run is really nice!

15. I just had a half last Sunday, and I have another on the 19th. I allowed myself yesterday and today off but I’ll be back at it tomorrow! After the other half, I’ll probably take a little break and continue to run just to maintain fitness. We definitely need to rest up and take breaks to make sure running stays fun!

16. It sounds like you’re really in tune with what your body needs, which is the most important thing. I signed up for halfs in January, March, and September – after running the first two, I’m stepping back on all racing. Between now and the Disneyland Half Marathon, I’m doing two charity 5ks and I signed up for one 10k just to better my proof of time for that as well. And that’s all, folks!

17. Sam @ PancakeWarriors says:

Oh man I hope you do take some time off to rest and recover in Florida! Have a wonderful vacation! Sounds like perfect timing!

18. Tricia says:

You do need a break from time to time! I’m sorry about your accident. I took a fall last weekend down my camper steps too, not fun. I was able to heal enough to run a race this weekend but it was tough! I too am considering taking a break from long runs. But who knows….. Have a great vacation!

19. I give myself a break from training when I’m not working for a race. I usually switch to a weight lifting mind set.

20. I have been on a break since my marathon. I’m back in the gym doing strength training. Marathon training can be overwhelming mentally. You know what your body needs and I’m glad you’re listening to it. I’ll start training for Disneyland Half (DDD Challenge) and my next big race in October, so I’m enjoying the rest while it lasts. Enjoy your vacation!

21. Jessie says:

It’s great to relax and give yourself a break! I agree. Enjoy time with the family and just live life to the fullest.

22. You have DEFINITELY earned some rest. I feel like I’m always “in training” for something, but there are certain times of year (like, say, the summer months…when it is WAY too hot for me to be running, haha) when I do scale back quite a bit. I think it’s important for all of us to have an “off season”…and it sounds like you’re doing the right thing and listening to your body! Enjoy your trip!! 🙂

23. you have definitely earned it! i think it is great to do races and not always be gunning for a PR. I am running a crazy amount of races this year but not all of them are for PR purposes. I have 4 race weekends back to back coming up-10k,5k,5k and half and my plan is to beat my time for last year at the 10k and enjoy the after party, finally run a 5k in a race without stopping, use the 2nd 5k as a PR attempt/speedwork and then try my best at the half since it is very hilly (good training for the NYCM). enjoy your trip!

24. Viane says:

Sounds like a plan – rest is essential!

25. I think your plan is smart:) Every now and then we do need a break or time to reset before moving on, especially after a big race!

26. Taking a break after a good training period is so rewarding. Though I just straight up don’t run, so good for you for continuing to run and do races 🙂 that’s my goal this year. I am going to try to keep running even after I finish my half in May.

27. I have only trained for one race, the one I am currently training for, my first Half that’s in May. However, I think you had a solid plan going on. good luck!

That sounds like a good plan and you’ve definitely earned a break. It will be nice to enjoy weekends at your leisure, especially with spring activities picking up. Following St. Michaels I’ll have a few for fun races, but will likely take a break until marathon training picks up the end of June.

29. jillconyers says:

There was a time when I always wanted to be in training mode. Now I embrace the mental and physical break.

30. We all need a break sometimes, I am in one right now…albeit forced due to a shoulder injury. Good luck on the Cherry Blossom and VA Beach. I have run VA Beach 3 times and although it is always super hot it is a grat race!

31. What fun! Thanks for sharing yoru spring race plans! For me, if it is a marathon distance… I train. If it is the half marathon and I am running for PURE FUN… then I run on a whim. If I have a race goal then I do my best to train also. 🙂

32. I have a hard time taking a break from races but now have a had a forced 5 month break due to a back injury which has actually been a very welcome and much needed break. Congrats again on your PR and enjoy the time between now and your next big race!