My Goals for Sunday’s Shamrock Half Marathon

The weekend of my fourth half marathon is finally here!  My hard work, persistence, and dedication over the past 18 weeks has led me to this race weekend.  To say that I’m excited about heading to Virginia Beach for Shamrock weekend is an understatement.

shamrock

On Saturday, I’ll be running/walking the TowneBank 8k, the first race of the Dolphin Challenge.  Since the half marathon on Sunday is my goal race, I’ll be taking the 8k really easy.  During my Shamrock training I did five weekends of back to back runs, so I know that my body is prepared for the challenge.  My plan is to run-walk the 8k using one minute intervals.  I’ve only run one other 8k, and have no intention of pushing myself to PR Saturday morning.

Sunday will be a different story though.  During the first several months of my Shamrock training, I focused on speed work at least once a week, and I’ve seen it pay off on my long runs.  My current half marathon PR was set last August at Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach, which I ran in 2:30:14 (11:27 pace).  I don’t want to jinx myself, but unless something goes horribly wrong Sunday morning, I should be able to PR at Shamrock.

I have set some pretty lofty goals for Sunday’s race.  I’m optimistic that I’ll have a great race, and that I’ll be able to meet either my A or B goals.

Goal A – Finish the race in under 2:21:35 (10:48 pace – my pace from my 12.5 mile training run 3.5 weeks ago)

Goal B – Finish the race in under 2:23:33 (10:57 pace – my pace from my 14 mile training run last Sunday)

Goal C – PR and finish the race in 2:30:14 (11:27 pace)

QOTD: How many time goals do you usually set for yourself?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to My Goals for Sunday’s Shamrock Half Marathon

1. It depends on the race. I’ve set some really loose time goals for Disney races, but with the side show that always go along with those, it’s never really been too much of a priority. I think the times you have in mind are very attainable and I wish you luck. Calypso and I will have our paws crossed for you!!

• I will be anything but worried about time when I run Wine and Dine. Between it being Disney, and the fact that I’ll have run RnR Philly the weekend before, I’ll definitely be taking my time and soaking everything in!

And thanks in advance to you and Calypso! 🙂

In my mind, there is always one goal, but I try to be realistic and be happy that I finished the race. I am after all the #oldladyrunner! Good luck on Sunday, you should have no trouble reaching that A goal.

3. I really only ever had one “Goal” race and that was Rock n Roll Las Vegas. I have learned not to set goals at Disney races because there is just way too much fun to be had, and RnR VA Beach is just WAY too hot…lol. Since you did so well at VA Beach this summer in that awful heat, I have no doubt that you will crush your time this weekend! Kudos to you for being so ambitious after your car accident. looks like you are back in action and ready to PR!

4. Good luck in reaching your goals! You will do greattach! I never set goals because I become very disappointed in myself if I don’t meet them. Hope you have great weather for the wkend!

5. Good luck! I think you will totally PR!

6. Have a good time! Great goals too!!

7. Girl you are going to ROCK that half marathon! Your training has been so awesome…trust it! I can’t wait to hear all about your huge PR!!! Have fun!

8. My last half, last weekend, had 2 time goals. Sub-2 and a PR. I achieved both! I’m thrilled. You’re going to do great at yours! Most importantly, have fun!

Good luck! I’ve never really set a time goal, but if my training’s gone well, I feel good about what I can do. My normal goal is to just finish the race and if I PR, it’s a bonus.

Good luck! You’ve worked so hard and it should definitely pay off this weekend 🙂 I hope you have a great time.

11. I think its a good idea to set a couple of goals for a race because you never know what’s going to happen. You can have a great training season and wake up just feeling off that day or come across bad weather. But good luck, I’m confident you will rock it and PR!

12. I usually set one time goal per race, but i also set goals like “finish strong” or “negative splits” for if the specific time goal doesn’t work out.

13. I had planned to run the Dolphin Challenge this year, but life had other plans! I’ll live vicariously through you 🙂 I always have the goal of finishing healthy…that is the number one goal that surpasses all goals. Other than that, I usually have an “A” goal and a “B” goal for time. Recently I’ve been in the habit of not having time goals, but instead having goals like: fuel well, thank as many race volunteers as possible, high five at least 3 kids on the race course, etc. I find that because running is SO mental, having those kinds of goals keep your mind right and allow the time goals to take care of themselves.

14. YEY! You’re going to be great! I have a half this weekend, too – but my goal is to finish it uninjured as my last big race left me out of commission for months :(. Fingers crossed!

Good luck! I think you are going to have a GREAT couple of races! I think I may try to PR in the 8K now and see what happens with the half (since I know PR is probably a few months down the road) 🙂

16. It sounds like you have a PR on the horizon! Can’t wait to hear your recap! My goal is to finish strong and injury free. Every now and then I’ll set goals, but for the most part I want to have fun and enjoy the race. All the best to you!

17. Christy says:

Hi! I just stumbled on your blog and love it! It sounds like you definitely could PR based on what you’re saying! I’ve often set an A, B and C goal for a race. I raced the DC Rock ‘n’ Roll this weekend though and it was my first race after an almost 2 year injury, so my only goal was to finish, which I did!

18. I love how you set 3 diff realistic goals for yourself. what a great idea. Back to back races-impressive. Have a great time! (literally)

19. Good luck this weekend! You have training really hard and I don’t want to jinx you either but I think you will crush your last PR. I like having some back up goals too. No matter what happens on race day you have accomplished something great.

20. Elle says:

Sounds like you are well prepared and I hope you have lots of fun! Good to have alternate goals in mind I think.

21. Good luck this weekend! I’m excited to run, but don’t really have a goal since I’m coming off of an injury. Hope to meet you in person!

22. i do A, B and C goals as well. excited for all you gals running shamrock!! i’ll be cheering hard from DC 🙂

You are going to do great! So excited for you!! I usually only set one time goal, I should probably set A, B, C goals but I’ve never done that. Have a great time!!

24. I really only ever set a “C” goal. I always have a time I want to be under. Everything else is decided on race day, usually at about mile 6 where I either find that I’m moving along and feeling good or just trying to hang on. And I don’t even have those kind of goals for my back to back marathons. I just want to survive those LOL.

Good luck this weekend. I think you are going to rock it, based on your training.

25. mkadens1 says:

All the best with your race this weekend! I usually set A, B and C goals with C usually being finish upright with a smile on my face. : )

26. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!! I’ll be there this weekend, but cheering on my best friend 🙂 and you!!

27. Farrah says:

Best of luck to you on your race goals! I think it’s good to set them–it’s helpful to have something to aim for!

28. I usually only set one goal for myself, but that is just me. There is nothing wrong with back up plans if you think you might need them:)
    Good luck this weekend, I hope you hit your top goal!

29. Pingback: Friday Five – March 20th – Five Things I’m Looking Forward to About Spring | From Dancing to Running

30. Sun says:

Best of luck this weekend! It seems like your training has set you up for race day success 🙂

I like to set a few time goals, sometimes including a time range. I also like to set a non-time goal (i.e. not getting passed by women after X mile). Helps keep me focused within the race!

31. Pingback: April 2015 Monthly Goals | From Dancing to Running