Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 17

Alright, so when you’re tapering you’re supposed to cut back on running, right?  What about the rest of exercise?  I took the term “tapering” very literally this past week, as I only worked out three days.  Its not what I had planned to do, but its just the way things worked out.

I spent much of the beginning of the week letting my body recover from my 14 mile run.  I was more sore than I thought I’d be, and took my first run post 14 miler run very easy.  My bad ankle also bothered me on and off throughout the week, which is another reason why I took the extra rest.  The extra rest paid off though, as I set an unexpected 5k PR Thursday evening during my run.

5k PR

So what did I do with my extra time this past week?  I spent time catching up with a friend on the phone one evening, I went to happy hour with friends on Friday, and more importantly, I took care of several chores around the house.  It was nice to have extra time for some of the things that I haven’t had time to do over the past several weeks of training.

This coming week I plan to take it easy again, listening to my body and doing as it says.  If I feel up to it, I’ll try to do one day of cross training in addition to the two days of running I have planned for this week.  My legs felt very heavy during yesterday’s long run, so I won’t be doing any lower body weight training this week.  Most importantly, I want to give myself the best chance possible to PR next Sunday at my fourth half marathon.

Mon 3/9 – 1.24 mile walk around the neighborhood with Riley

Tues 3/10 – 2.25 mile run on the treadmill, 0.44 mile cool down walk, abs, stretching

Wed 3/11 – Rest day

Thurs 3/12 – 3.11 mile run around the neighborhood, 0.50 mile cool down walk, abs, legs, glutes

Fri 3/13 – Rest day

Sat 3/14 – Lots of walking around the outlet mall

Sun 3/15 – 5.01 mile run on the trail, 0.63 mile cool down walk

Total Weekly Mileage – 13.18 miles (14.25 miles less than week 16)

Total Shamrock Training – 255.09 miles

QOTD: How many days do you run in the week leading up to a major race?

This entry was posted in Shamrock Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 17

I also cutback on my cross training during my taper period. I think any extra rest will help out on race day. My running schedule calls for just 3 times per week of running and 2-3 days of cross training which is different than alot of plans. Actually, I think less mileage is important for older runners to help prevent injury.

2. Oh yes girl…I think it’s great you cut back on everything during taper. Gives your body the rest it needs so you can run strong this weekend! So excited for you!

It’s great that you listened to your body, especially since your ankle wasn’t feeling great. Plus, at this point you’ve already put in all the hard training and it makes sense to be rested and refreshed for your race. Good luck!

My legs felt heavy this weekend so I made sure I foam rolled a lot. They seem better this morning, but I have PT this afternoon. They’ll get worked for sure.

5. I am a big proponent of listening to our bodies, sometimes they tell us everything we need to know. Everytime I dont listen I get injured. Glad you are listening!

6. I’ve been doing the Run Less, Run Faster plan, so I’m running 3 days a week. It’s so much better for me than 5 days a week!

7. Looks like a smart plan for the week. It’s great how you built back up slowly and are ready to go for the race! Good luck

8. Maureen says:

I am not a runner, but your plan sounds good to me! Being able to connect with all those people this week was good for your soul! 🙂

9. Sounds like a great plan! I think you are more than ready. I only intend on running once this week. But I did 10 miles yesterday as my last long run. I have yoga and a couple of cross training days, plus I’m considering a massage. So excited for Shamrock weekend!

10. I usually run 4+ days I try to strength train too don’t want to burn myself out.

11. Leading up to a race, I usually run 3-4 days the week of. I try to take two days off in a row and then a little shake out run/walk the day before.

12. i usually run 2x the week of a big race. i’m so excited for you! 🙂

13. mkadens1 says:

I only run 3x/week so in taper I’ll keep that but reduce the distance and intensity. Congrats on the 5k PR!

14. I always find tapering mentally challenging.
    I usually run twice the week before a race and then a short shakeout run the day before so my body remembers how to run 🙂

15. Elle says:

Looks like a great week. And shopping is till time on the feet!

16. Good luck this weekend in your upcoming race!
    When it comes to tapering, I think it really comes down to learning to listen to your body and treat it with what it needs. Once you know what does best for you, then you’ve learned the correct art of tapering for yourself. Sounds to me like you are listening and have learned to taper per what your body wants, and that is a good thing!
    Some seem to need a lot of rest, others not so much. If it’s a week leading in a marathon, I pretty much keep my normal mileage, I just cut the pace back so it’s more to keep my legs fresh and stretched out, and any signs of tired are a sign to cut back on the mileage. I learned for myself, too much taper, gives me a worst race than if I just slow it down and cut it back a little. I even make sure I always run the day before in the early morning, even if it’s just a mile or two:)

17. I am always impressed at your total mileage! You’ve got this and I know the race will be great. Enjoy the taper : )
    Karen @karenlovestorun

18. Oh boy I guess I never really had a major race because I typically just get up, get dressed and go on the course b/c it s only a 5K or 10K. I know pitiful right? So I am the wrong person to ask but I am totaly impressed with your 14-mile run.

I take the taper very seriously and sometimes only do 2 workouts in the week leading up to it. My body does much better with lots of rest. Glad your ankle is feeling better. I tweaked mine a bit at RnR, probably from the change in going from the treadmill to outside for the first time in months. Good luck this weekend!!

20. I like to just taper 7-10 days before a big race. Any longer I kinda feel sluggish on race day. But isn’t it nice to have that extra time?? I took 2-3 weeks off from all exercise after my last half and it was so nice to just come home after work and RELAX on the couch for hours 🙂

Looks like a good plan. I’ll probably do some short runs 2x this week and maybe a day of elliptical. Hoping to add an easy yoga class with a lot of foam rolling. See you soon.

22. Well, we all know I’m not “normal”, so I won’t mention my running, but I think it’s important to listen to your body and give it whatever it needs in terms of rest. You’ve got the training in – you can’t hurt yourself by doing too little, but you could by doing too much.

Good luck!

23. You’re doing great!

My legs get very edgy leading up to a race, so I do go for a couple of short, slow shake out runs before hand. I don’t push it, but I need to keep moving, and this is the way that settles my nerves the best.

24. Sharon says:

Sounds like you have a good plan. Great that you listen to your body! Also, congrats on your 5K PR! It’s always fun when it is unexpected. Good luck in your race next weekend!!

25. katemovingforward1234 says:

Enjoy your taper!! I’m not the most knowledgeable but that is what I say! 😀 It’s nice to have the extra time to catch up with friends and around the house. 🙂

26. I love when rest creates a running beast! Way to PR amidst the final stretch of training!

27. Sun says:

It sounds like you’re being super smart with your taper! You’ve come this far so taking it easy at this point is the best thing you can do for your race.

The week of a longer race, I like to run 3-4 times, depending on if it’s a Saturday or Sunday race. If it’s a Saturday race, I’ll do a shorter run on Monday and Wednesday with a mini speed session on Tuesday. If the race is on Sunday, I’ll do shorter runs on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday with a mini speed session on Tuesday.

28. NutriFitMama says:

I run a few short times during the week before a race usually. 🙂 Good luck at Shamrock!

29. You are being such a good runner and respecting the taper. You will be awesome at your half!!!