The Story of My 14 Mile Run on the Treadmill

Like I shared in yesterday’s weekly training recap, on Sunday I ran 14 miles on the treadmill.  Not only was this run monumental because its the the furthest distance that I’ve ever run, but the fact that I completed it on the treadmill was far from easy.  Other than the obvious reason why the run was difficult – its my now personal distance record – it was a very difficult run both mentally and physically.

14 mile run

Running long distances on a treadmill is very trying.  It is very trying mentally, as you aren’t running anywhere.  And its very trying physically because our bodies aren’t designed to run long distances on it.  While I’ve previously shared tips for treadmill running, and usually follow most if not all of these, several things just didn’t align correctly for me on Sunday.

The first difficulty I faced was that I had to do it alone.  Although Preston and I often complete our long treadmill runs at the same time, we had conflicting schedules this past weekend, and it didn’t work out for us to both complete a long run at the same time.

The second difficulty I faced was in dealing with the iPad.  Although I had episodes of Amazing Race downloaded to my iPad, the episodes weren’t buffering correctly, and kept cutting out, sometimes every couple of seconds.  It was very frustrating having to restart an episode countless times while also trying to keep my head in the running game.  I eventually gave up on the iPad and just started listening to music.

The third difficulty I faced was the right shin pain that I started experiencing about halfway through my run.  Its not unusual for me to experience shin pain when completing long runs on the treadmill (this is something I usually only experience running outside when my shoes are nearing the end of their life).  And no its not my shoes – I just started wearing my current pair of running shoes a couple of weeks ago.

What I can celebrate is that I was able to maintain my running intervals for the entire 14 miles.  I started my run running 3 minutes 15 seconds followed by walking 45 seconds.  Every mile to mile and a quarter I walked an extra minute in order to allow myself time to drink extra water or Powerade, or to take a Gu or chew on a couple of Clif Shots.  I’m so happy that I was able to maintain these intervals for my entire run, and it makes me optimistic that I’ll be able to do the same on race day in less than two weeks.

Did I step off of the treadmill on Sunday feeling on top of the world?  Honestly, no.  It was such a mentally frustrating run, especially with the iPad not working correctly.  But did I step off of the treadmill proud of what I accomplished?  You bet!

QOTD: Have you ever had mixed feelings after completing a milestone workout?

This entry was posted in Training and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to The Story of My 14 Mile Run on the Treadmill

The dreaded long run on the treadmill. I’ve only had to do a few, but they are never fun and rarely satisfying. Feeling a bit like a gerbil on it’s spinning wheel, I am not a fan at all. But congrats on getting that run complete and now you can enjoy taper for Shamrock!

2. I have never ran past 6 miles on a treadmill. Kudos lady!!

3. Girl, I don’t know how you did it. I think I would have gone postal spending that much time on the dreadmill. Heck, I go insane after just ONE mile on the darn thing. Of course, at this point, I’d be happy to run ANYTHING on ANY surface, lol! 🙂 See you guys in November! 🙂

4. Fist of all congrats on running your first 14 miles! And, then, on the Treadmill . . .. ugh — I say you have the mental stamina to go a full marathon that on the actual road!!

5. Girl you are a rockstar! 14 miles on a treadmill?!!! I think the longest I’ve run on a TM is 7 miles…and it was so tough! Great job girl!

Awesome job! So proud of you and especially since you only had music! Way to get it done!

7. First of all, congrats on your longest run ever! But, more importantly, the fact that you did it on a treadmill makes you a total badass. I don’t think I could EVER run that far on a treadmill. Honestly, I get frustrated/bored/want to quit when I attempt 4 or 5 miles on the treadmill! But you fought through the frustration and were able to stick to your intervals and keep your head in the game. WTG! 🙂

I try to find a TV in front of Sportscenter, but it’s only an hour. Then it repeats, so I’m up to date on the sports stories by the time I’m done.

9. oh man! I would have been fuming over the iPad not working. The one pleasure I take in doing long runs on the treadmill is being able to catch up on shows. So awesome you were able to stick through it! You’ll need to post that playlist!

10. Great job!!! The last ridiculous run I did on a treadmill was 26 miles. Thankfully at my gym, the treadmills are smack in the middle of the room, so the people watching kept me entertained when the music and TV got boring, haha!

11. charissarunning says:

Ugh, that iPad trouble really is frustrating, but I’m so glad you were able to keep going and stay motivated! It sounds like your fueling strategy is on point too since you were able to maintain the whole way through 🙂
    On my 17-mile treadmill run last year, I actually had that exact same feeling of mixed emotions – glad I got it done (and in a decent time too!), but I felt completely drained of energy. It kind of made me feel like ‘How could I possibly do another 9 miles on top of this?’ I still needed to figure out a better fueling formula obviously.

12. awesome job! I too would have been so frustrated about the ipad. but the important thing is you did it and are now Tapering!

13. That’s amazing! Great accomplishment. I don’t know if I could ever do that. I had mixed feelings about finishing 13.1 whether I’d go for a full marathon or try to do better at my 13.1 time. I decided on the later 😊

14. Kate says:

Wowzers!!! Good for you!!! I’m starting to transition to outside now that Spring has finally arrived. The longest I’ve managed on a treadmill is 6 miles and it took A LOT of mental preparation.

15. shanks324 says:

Awesome job!! I too would have been frustrated that the Ipad was not working correctly! Way to stick it out and run your 14 miles!!

16. I hate when my tablet doesn’t work and I’m on my treadmill….it makes the run that much harder. I longest I’ve done on the treadmill is 13k. However, I do a lot of my running on a treadmill, with little kids it’s sometimes the only way I can get it in!
    Way to go!

17. mkadens1 says:

Congrats! 14 mill miles is huge! You’ll think back to this day and be stronger for it.

18. Nice work! I did 18 miles on the treadmill once and it was not easy. The treadmill I was on stopped after 60 minutes so I had to break it up. Not fun but it’s done, way to go!
    Karen @karenlovestorun

19. Good for you! The longest I’ve done is 6. I was supposed to do 6 on the treadmill last week but only did 3 because my calves and shins hurt and mentally I just wasn’t there. I really did not want to do it. Good for you for powering through though!

20. the weather was not bad this weekend – how come you chose to run inside? i raced on sunday morning and it was perfect, weather wise!

21. NutriFitMama says:

Ah, I can’t imagine running that long on a treadmill- I have done 11 miles but I think I took a million bathroom breaks because I was so bored LOL!

22. I ran on the treadmill for 50 minutes on Saturday which is outside of my norm and it was mentally challenging. That was only a little over 4 miles so I can’t imagine running for almost 4 times that. WOW! Congrats to you.

23. The most I’ve ever done on the treadmill was 12 miles and I was near losing my mind at the end. Just not a fan of long runs on the mill. Good job getting it done.

24. kristenk says:

Congrats on 14 treadmill miles! My longest treadmill run is 11 miles and it’s definitely rough. In fact, I ran 10 on the treadmill 2 weeks ago and as soon as I was done I threw up! It’s just so much harder to do long distances in one place for some reason 😦 I’m glad you survived and you hopefully can run long outside from now on!

Congrats on your PDR – what an accomplishment completing it on the TM and with only music. What great mental toughness.

26. You should be proud! Putting that kind of mileage on a machine is no easy task! Even if you are listening and watching things, it’s still hard work! Great job though!

27. Sun says:

14 miles on a treadmill at any pace is a great accomplishment in my mind! Kudos for sticking with your run and intervals despite a few hitches along the way.

Sometimes I feel disappointed about a workout or run if I miss a split at some point but try to reason with myself that occasionally being a little off is no reason to view it as a failure!

28. jillconyers says:

14 miles on a treadmill. That’s just crazy enough to tempt me to try it!

29. WOW, 14 miles on the treadmill is no oke, congrats on the PDR. I have done 11 miles on hte treadmill and couldn’t imagine doing anymore.

30. Pingback: Friday Five – March 13th – Five Scenes From My Week | From Dancing to Running

31. Pingback: Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 17 | From Dancing to Running

32. Pingback: Tips for Summer Running | From Dancing to Running