Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 16

What a week its been!  We’ve seen everything in the DC area weather wise this past week, including temperatures and wind chills in the single digits at the beginning of the week, 8 inches of snow on Thursday, and temperatures in the 50s yesterday!  I had more Snow Days this past week (Monday, Thursday, and Friday), and yet it felt like Spring over the weekend.  Its been one crazy week of weather, and unfortunately, Thursday’s snowstorm caused me to missed a planned run since the roads were bad enough that it was too risky to drive to the gym.

Although we had Spring like weather over the weekend, the majority of the sidewalks are still covered with snow, and many intersections still have snow drifts of upwards of a foot of snow blocking the ends of sidewalks, making it pretty much impossible to run outside safely right now.  This was quite disappointing since I had my last set of back to back training runs for the Dolphin Challenge this past weekend – 5 miles on Saturday and 14 miles on Sunday.  During Sunday’s run, I also set a new PDR!  And as of yesterday, I’m officially tapering for Shamrock!

14 mile run

Monday 3/2 – Rest day

Tuesday 3/3 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.41 mile cool down walk, kettlebell squat swings, abs, arms, shoulders, stretching

Wednesday 3/4 – Rest day

Thursday 3/5 – 30 minutes of yoga

Friday 3/6 – 35 minutes on the elliptical, 0.32 mile cool down walk, arms, shoulders, abs, glutes

Saturday 3/7 – 5.00 mile run on the treadmill, 0.54 mile cool down walk

Sunday 3/8 – 14.00 mile run on the treadmill, 0.87 mile cool down walk

Total Weekly Mileage – 27.43 miles (8.79 miles more than week 15)

Total Shamrock Training Mileage – 241.91 miles

QOTD: What is the furthest distance that you have run on the treadmill?

This entry was posted in Milestones, Shamrock Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 16

1. Great week in workouts! The longest I ever ran on a treadmill {mind you, this was about 7 years ago} was 6 miles. We used to have a treadmill in our upstairs living room, so I would pop in a movie once a weekend and run/walk until the movie was over.

2. Looks like a great workout week. That’s awesome how you keep track of every day. The furthest I’ve ran on the treadmill is 6 miles I think could be 8 I was training for my first half during the winter.

3. Great week of runs despite the weather girl! Hope the snow is gone!

4. Great workout week! I think the farthest I have run on the treadmill was 10 miles and it was torture.

Great job getting that long run done on the treadmill. I’ve done a few long ones on the TM, but don’t remember how long and that is probably a good thing. Shamrock will be great and I know you are looking forward to race weekend and attempting a new PR. Running in Virginia Beach is always fun!

6. I think the furthest I’ve done on a treadmill is 5 miles! I can’t imagine 14–way to still get it done!!

I’ve done 11 on the treadmill, and was soooo happy to get off that thing. Congrats on the taper and hopefully the weather turns more normal.

8. NutriFitMama says:

Looks like you had a great week of workouts! I hope you have a wonderful week this week as well!

9. Uggh, I don’t think i’ve done more than 10 miles on the TM all at one time. I don’t mind for shorter runs, but anything longer than that doesn’t interest me. Perhaps if I ever become a faster runner I won’t mind long TM runs! -M

10. 14 miles on a treadmill! Wowza! You just keep rocking out those runs! Awesome awesome awesome – you’re going to crush that half.

11. charissarunning says:

Wow, great week! Good for you for getting that long run on the treadmill! It’s always tough to have to run that kind of distance in the same place for so long, but it does make you stronger 🙂
    My longest treadmill run was 17 miles when marathon training last summer. I’m hoping I won’t have to do that again anytime soon.

12. YAY! Setting a new PDR is always so exciting!! Great week 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun

13. I am not a runner but once I went 11 miles on a treadmill. It was fantastic and then I lost interest all over again. LOL!

14. Elle says:

Nice week. YAY for PDR. Treadmill? I think about 8 miles is my longest and that was so many years ago I am not positive….

15. Way to go with staying consistent with yoru training! I saw 14! miles on the TREADMILL and immediately wanted to bow to you! Ah-mazing! LOL

16. So exciting!! Way to get in those miles. The roads are not in great shape here either, but I did get out yesterday for a run and it felt awesome!

17. 14 miles on a treadmill now that is tough! I ran an 18 miler on one once, and swore I would never do even half that again on one, LOL So I have to say great great job on that!!!
    My cousin lives in D.C. it’s funny, one day she sends me pictures of her kids in shorts and t-shirts and the next she is talking about it freezing, gotta love March weather!
    Your race is coming up in a couple of weeks, looks like you’re more than trained for it, you should have an excellent time and race!!!!

18. mkadens1 says:

Nice workout week despite the dicey weather. I think we’re all warming up this week finally. My mill PR is 22 miles.

19. Hmmm, 7 miles I think.

Great job on your 14 miles on the mill! Go girl, I know how tough it can be. So far my record is 18!!

21. shanks324 says:

Wow! Way to go on 14 miles on the treadmill! That is amazing! 6-7 is my longest. I can’t remember as I haven’t been on a treadmill in long time, but I know it’s tough so kudos to you!

Congrats on the PDR!! Hope the next couple of days will melt away the snow in your neighborhood.

23. Juliana says:

awesome job on the treadmill-I dont know if I could do that many miles on a treadmill! You are going to rock your race though!

24. jillconyers says:

Awesome training week! I think 9 miles is the longest treadmill run for me.

25. Pingback: The Story of My 14 Mile Run on the Treadmill | From Dancing to Running

26. Furthest I’ve gone on the ‘mill is 10 miles. I hope to never repeat that experience again!

27. 14 miles on the treadmill?? Good for you! I could barely get to 3 miles last week. I was just so done with the treadmill and everything that could go wrong did (forgot headphones, calves were hurting, etc) lol Furthest treadmill run I’ve done is only 6 miles

28. The weather has been so crazy this year! It sounds like you’ve been rocking your training anyways! Good luck with your upcoming half!