Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 14

Its hard to believe that four weeks from yesterday I will run my fourth half marathon!  I haven’t run a half since August 31st, and I cannot contain my excitement for this upcoming race weekend!  On Friday Shamrock released details about the race app that is available for download, which allowed runners to find out which corrals they are in.  Seeing which corrals I’ll be in for both the 8k and the half marathon only further increased my excitement.  And Shamrock posted on their Facebook page last week that once a photo has been shared 1,000 times that the medals will be released.  The shares have been slow going (as of Sunday evening the photo had only been shared 347 times), so I’m sitting on pins and needles in anticipation of seeing the three medals that I’ll earn in a month for completing the Dolphin Challenge!

Training got very serious this past week.  We didn’t have school on Monday because of President’s Day, and the only day that wasn’t a Snow Day was Thursday.  I tried to take full advantage of the extra free time that I had this past week, spending as much of it in the gym as my body would allow me to.  Since my back was very sore on Tuesday, I opted to stay home and do yoga instead of my planned run.  I still ran three times this week though since I had another weekend of back to back runs to help me prepare for the Dolphin Challenge.

All of my runs this past week had to be completed on the treadmill.  Between getting close to a foot of snow this past week, sub zero temperatures, and lots of ice, it has been far too unsafe to run outside.  Yesterday I took to the treadmill for my 12.5 mile run, the farthest that I’ve run on the treadmill since December 2013.  It was a definitely a mental challenge, but I’m so glad that I was able to complete it, with the assistance of watching a couple episodes of Amazing Race All Stars on the iPad and Preston running alongside me.

12.50 mile run

Hopefully the weather will get a bit better this coming week, especially since I have my first two races of 2015 next Sunday!

Mon 2/16 – Rest day

Tues 2/17 – 30 minutes of yoga

Wed 2/18 – 3.80 mile run on the treadmill, 0.42 mile cool down walk, abs, glutes, arms, shoulders, stretching, 10 minutes on the stair master

Thurs 2/19 – 40 minutes on the elliptical, 0.73 mile cool down walk

Fri 2/20 – Rest day

Sat 2/21 – 4.00 mile run on the treadmill, 0.46 mile cool down walk

Sun 2/22 – 12.50 mile run on the treadmill, 0.75 mile cool down walk, stretching

Total Weekly Mileage – 27.13 miles (15.10 miles more than week 13)

Total Shamrock Training Mileage – 195.84 miles

QOTD: What is the farthest that you’ve run on the treadmill?

This entry was posted in Shamrock Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 14

Great week / weekend of runs! That is a good idea to bring your iPad along to the gym. During the weeknights I get lucky and there is a Law and Order marathon on, but during the weekends it could be hit or miss.

So far the farthest I’ve done is 16 miles, but I’m anticipating an 18 miler and maybe even 20….eek! And I would be waiting for the medal release too! 1000 shares? They really know how to build up the excitement don’t they? I’ll go share to help you out 😉

3. marywdw says:

I have never done more than 6.5 on the treadmill. After that I go outside if it’s nice out. My motivation lacks on the treadmill after 6 miles…

4. I don’t think I’ve done more than 5 miles on the treadmill. However, I cross trained a horrible 7 miles on an elliptical. I don’t recommend it.

5. The longest I’ve ever run on a treadmill was 24 miles. It was before my first full marathon and I needed to get in the run but there was a tropical storm happening outside that day. Watching movies and tv shows really get me through those longs on the treadmill.

6. shanks324 says:

Looks like a great week of workouts! Wow 12.5 miles on the treadmill, you are awesome! I think the farthest I’ve ran on the treadmill was 7 and that was brutal.

7. Oh man, 12.5 miles on the treadmill must be killer! Glad you had some TV and your hubby to help pass the time.

8. Maureen says:

I am so impressed that you can do all that running on a treadmill! I’m not really a runner, but even when I did run more, I could only do up to 3 miles on the treadmill before dying of boredom!

9. m limit is 7 – I tried 8 yesterday but the heat of the gym and the lure of 50 degrees was too much so finished downtown! great week of workouts. Glad you’re feeling better from the accident. Looking forward to the race this weekend and even more for Shamrock!

10. mkadens1 says:

Mad props to you for training thru this ridiculous weather! My mill PR is 22 miles. You do what youv’e gotta do, right? I can’t even remember my last half. Might have been last spring. Geez.

I did 11 miles on the treadmill once and that was really trying. I saw Sportscenter 2.5 times so I was caught up on all the sports news.

12. Elle says:

Looking good! Definitely need a tv and movies to run on the treadmill. Awesome mileage.

13. Looks like you had a great week! I have to say that I HATE treadmills..thankfully I live in Tennessee so there aren’t too many times that I just CAN’T get outdoors to run 🙂

14. I can’t believe all the snow you’ve been getting! Good for you for pushing through with the treadmill. I ran a lot on the ‘mill last year and even managed a half marathon on it, but I did not enjoy it!

15. The weather forced me to do all my runs indoors this week, as well. I did 9 miles on the ‘mill, which was the most I’ve ever done indoors! I had the Today Show to keep me company, so it wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be!

16. You are a treadmill beast! I normally only run 2-3 miles at a time on a treadmill; I just have to break it up! I think the fartherst I’ve run indoors is 8 miles, but that was divided between an indoor track and treadmill.

17. NutriFitMama says:

I have ran 11 miles on the treadmill and it was very mentally challenging! I find it very difficult to focus on the treadmill and get bored after about 30 seconds!

18. 12 miles on the treadmill? wow!! I just get so bored. I did 5 miles last week and that was a feat for me haha. Longest I’ve done is 6. Your training is looking solid! I’m glad I see you count the XT days as mileage – I just asked that over on my blog (if runners count XT as mileage) because I’ve been seeing people do that…makes me feel better about my training too 🙂

19. jillconyers says:

12 miles on the treadmill! Wow. You have me beat by 3 miles. What’s 3 more miles. I can do it. Or can I?

20. The furthest I’ve run was a full marathon on a treadmill, just last month! It wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be. I ran the Shamrock in 2007, it was a TON of fun! you will love it!

21. The farthest I’ve gone is 10 miles on the treadmill. It was utterly excruciating because it was in my dark basement with nothing to look at but paneled walls. *shudder*