Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 13

This week I’ve experienced a roller coaster of emotions.  During Tuesday’s visit to the gym, I felt frustrated and defeated that I couldn’t run at the speed that I wanted to, and that I couldn’t use any of the weights that were staring me in the face while I was on the treadmill.  Since then, I’ve tried to remind myself that its going to take time and lots of patience to get back to where I was before the car accident.  Progress isn’t going to happen overnight, and its going to take a lot of work to get my body back to where I want it.

Thursday’s visit with the chiropractor went well.  It was a bit eerie to see the X-rays of my neck and back and see how out of alignment my body is right now.  The doctor is confident that with some work that I’ll start to feel better, and that after a couple of weeks of back and neck adjustments, as well as doing specific stretches to help regain strength and range of motion in my neck and back, that I’ll be able to get back to life as it was before the car accident.

The other exciting news from this past week was that Preston and I spent Valentine’s Day afternoon car shopping, and we left with a replacement car for the one that we lost in the car accident.  Not the most romantic way to spend Valentine’s Day, but at least we were able to find a new car and I no longer have to drive a rental car.

Between a couple of long days at work, trying to take things easy (especially when my back hurts enough that I need to take pain medicine), and seeing the chiropractor three days in a row (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday), I didn’t get to work out as much as I would have liked to this past week.  But I am excited that I was able to restart some light weight training during Sunday’s workout at the gym!

4 mile run

Mon 2/9 – Rest day

Tues 2/10 – 3.30 mile run on the treadmill, 0.36 mile cool down walk, stretching, abs, squats

Wed 2/11 – Rest day

Thurs 2/12 – 3.50 mile run on the treadmill, 0.42 mile cool down walk, stretching

Fri 2/13 – Rest day

Sat 2/14 – Rest day

Sun 2/15 – 4.00 mile run on the treadmill, 0.45 mile cool down walk, kettlebell squat swings, abs, glutes, arms, shoulders, stretching

Total Weekly Mileage – 12.03 miles (9.71 miles less than week 12)

Total Shamrock Training Mileage – 168.71 miles

QOTD: How did you spend your Valentine’s Day?

This entry was posted in Shamrock Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 13

1. Replacing your car is a good start to getting this accident behind you. Lets get your body back to feeling better so you can dive back into training full force!

Nice that you were able to replace your car and have some success in the gym on Sunday. This accident really put a damper on your training, but you still have time to be ready for Shamrock!

3. coming back from injury takes time-I am there myself now too. It’s super frustrating to say the least. You are young and strong you will get there quickly.

4. Hang in there! Injury is not easy. You WILL bounce back. We spent our Vday at the gym. 🙂

My friend went to a chiro after her accident and the chiro knew exactly what to do. Good luck with yours.

V-Day wasn’t big for me. I ate pizza and watched Greek Wedding. After I made my movie list Friday I realized I hadn’t watched Greek Wedding in over a year.

6. Ugh, I’m sorry you are struggling with back pain- just take it easy. Your body needs tons of rest when it’s injured- I know that story all too well.

You’ll be back to your speedy paces in no time! Can’t wait to see you at Shamrock!

Sorry to hear about your week. Hang in there, while it seems like it will take awhile I know you will be back to where you were before the accident. You were pretty resilient last year, and I know you will be ready for Shamrock. Hope you have a good day off!

8. You’re going to get there girl! You just have to give it time and let your body heal. But I know it’s frustrating. Congrats on the car!

9. NutriFitMama says:

You’re going to rock that half marathon 😉 I did the Hot Chocolate 15k, then my son’s basketball game, and out to eat with the family on Valetine’s day. It was a fun, but long day 🙂

10. katemovingforward says:

We had a pretty low-key day at home. There was bad weather here, so we just stayed in and snuggled. 🙂

11. carmyy says:

Valentine’s was spent napping and binge watching Netflix! My boyfriend had to work so the next day was when we celebrated 🙂

12. Slow and steady and you’ll be back to your faster pace :). Hope you’re enjoying the new car!

13. Oh hugs! I hope your back heals quickly. Congrats on the new car!! My weekend was a whirlwind and went by far too fast.

14. Ouch! Great training plan and way to go on the car! 🙂 I didn’t do anything special for Vday… same old regular day.

15. alsoranagain says:

I’m so sorry to hear you’re not back to 100% yet since the car crash. It sounds like you’re making your recovery your #1 priority, though, by getting treatment and following your doctors’ recommendations. I hope your injuries resolve soon!

16. Give your body rest! It’s better to let things heal than to make it worse by pushing too hard.

Yay for getting the car situation resolved. I had an accident once and my car wasn’t totaled, and it took forever to get it back. Very frustrating. At least that’s one frustration off of your list now.

17. Ahh progress requires paitence, which I know is so difficult when your heart is ready and your body needs time to heal. Hope you continue to feel better 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun

18. It can be frustrating to feel like you’ve lost fitness but the good thing is that you’re still able to get back to training! You’ll do awesome at Shamrock. I was going to sign up for that one but figured a May race would be better for me (I hate winter running lol). Best of luck!

So glad that the chiropractor can help. I was in a car accident years ago and the chiro worked wonders on my neck. I had to go 3 times a week for a few months but it did the trick!!

20. sandralaflamme says:

First of all so glad you are ok. Secondly, it sounds like you are on a good path to recovery. Chiropractors can definitely work their magic. Thinking of you!

21. jillconyers says:

I spent an awesome awesome day with my husband for Valentine’s Day. Just the 2 of us 🙂

22. Valentine’s day…let’s see…we did nothing. Boooo! Neither of us are big on the romance. I think we were in bed by 10. Crazy cats that we are…

23. RFC says:

Aww, hang in there girl! I feel you, it is SO frustrating to not be able to do something that you were able to do just the other day (last week, last month, etc). It WILL make you stronger in the end!