Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 12

As I continue to recover from the car accident, I also continue to face limitations both at work as well as with my training.  I’m doing my best to take things one day at a time, especially since some days my back pain is bearable and other days my back hurts quite a lot.

I met with a chiropractor Saturday morning. She took a series of X-rays, did a number of tests, and a physical exam.  I meet with her again Thursday afternoon to go over a plan for treatment for my back.

This past week I did my third set of back-to-back runs as part of my Shamrock training.  I did a very easy 3 miles on Saturday (1 min run/1 min walk intervals), followed by 11 miles on Sunday (3:15 min run/0:45 min walk intervals).  I was actually a bit worried when I woke up Sunday morning with very significant back pain that Sunday’s run wouldn’t happen.  I’m so glad that by mid-afternoon on Sunday that my back pain was much more manageable and that I was not only able to still get my long run in but that I was also able to take advantage of the gorgeous Spring-like weather that we had this weekend.  It was quite hard to believe that it was the first weekend of February since the high yesterday was 59 degrees!

11 mile run

Mon 2/2 – Rest day

Tues 2/3 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.42 mile cool down walk

Wed 2/4 – 30 minutes of yoga

Thurs 2/5 – 3.20 mile run on the treadmill, 0.43 mile cool down walk

Fri 2/6 – Rest day

Sat 2/7 – 3.09 mile run around the neighborhood

Sun 2/8 – 11.04 mile run on the trail, 0.46 mile cool down walk

Total Weekly Mileage – 21.74 miles (12.85 miles more than week 11)

Total Shamrock Training Mileage – 156.68 miles

QOTD: How has the weather been where you live?

This entry was posted in Shamrock Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 12

So glad you were able to enjoy the beautiful day yesterday Kathryn. You have certainly exhibited alot of perseverance as you recover from the car accident. Have a great week!

Glad you were able to enjoy the beautiful weather yesterday! Hope your recovery continues to go well this week.

3. So glad you could get in your long run! And I’m sure the chiropractor will help you heal quickly!

4. NutriFitMama says:

The weather was nice this weekend (when I COULDN’T get out for a run of course!) but it’s getting cold again soon!

5. MMMarathoner says:

What?!!! Thank goodness you are okay!!!

6. Our weather here has consisted of three snowstorms last week dumping 50cm of snow easy, plus ice and freezing rain. Todays its -15, with a windchill of -28. It’s been a week of treadmill runs.

7. I’m so jealous of your 59 degree weather! It was a little warmer in NYC, but I can’t wait for 50s again! Glad you were able to get out there despite the back. I hope it continues to heal up!

8. I love chiros and swear by their therapy for everything! I’ve even gone to mine when I’m fighting off a simple cold. And I won’t torment you with my weather as I haven’t been able to take advantage of it either for running. At least Calypso thoroughly enjoys it, running around like a maniac. Not that that’s different from any other day!

It was in the 70s this weekend but Saturday was quite windy. We are supposed to go back down to the 50s, but I want to get outside still. The wind makes it difficult to know how to dress though.

10. Elle says:

Sounds like you are on track! Hope your back continues to mend and that you will progress as planned with your training. Nice to have the temps warm up too!

11. Larissa says:

Killer pace for your long run! I was never good at interval pacing for the long ones. I just settled in and went, but I know I could push faster if I paid more attention or integrated intervals.

12. Congrats on getting back out there and back into your long runs. Sounds like you will be just fine for the Shamrock

13. I’m glad you were feeling well enough to get those 11 miles in! and it was nice outside…bonus! 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun

14. I am absolutely jealous of your weather! Although, the five year old in me is loving having another snow day today! Glad to see you are hitting your groove for Shamrock.

15. Great job on your long run. I hope your back feels better. I went to the chiropracticor last wk as well but mine was just for an adjustment. Iactually don’t feel any different Hope going back helps you.

16. i’m so happy that you were able to enjoy the wonderful weather yesterday! keep taking care of that back!

Gosh, so sorry you are still dealing with pain! You are doing a great job of staying positive though!! It was a beautiful weekend. We took the boys out to play baseball. Such a tease!

18. I’m glad you were able to get in your long run! The weather here is terrible, we have close to 5 feet of snow and its still coming down. Apparently another storm is heading our way at the end of this week too…so for me, Spring can’t come soon enough!

19. Nice job on the run! I hope the chiro can help you get rid of the pain completely. Way to perservere!

20. I hope you feel better soon. My cousin also had a car accident and now her back is having problems. She initially thought there wasn’t a problem but it gets increasingly worse. GEt well soon.

21. It has been crazy cold in Northern NH. I am super thankful for swimming and my bike trainer for keeping me fit through this awful cold weather and while I am injured. It sounds like your training is going well! Good luck with your race!

22. imamosier says:

Good luck with your treatment plan. Fingers crossed for you for pain free runs. It is quite warm in Dallas right now. Although I am not crazy about running in the cold I am not ready for the summer heat to start.

23. It takes a while to bounce back after an accident. I have kinda been through this (years ago) and I remember it took forever to get to a certain point and then once I got there, the rest just sort of went faster. I think since you’re listening to your Dr’s you’ll be doing great come your half marathon! It’s awesome you’re still able to get so much running in!!!

24. jillconyers says:

Our weather has been freakishly strange and unpredictable. You’re doing great with your training.

25. RFC says:

59 degrees? WOW! We are buried under about 3 feet of recent snow up here in Vermont with sub freezing temps. I’m SO ready for spring!

26. Great job with your training! Currently, the weather is cool (mid 30s). I will admit. It is chilly and oftentimes hard to get motivated. 🙂

27. Juliana says:

great job on the back to back runs and you were so lucky with the weather! hopefully the doctor will bring good news

28. Erica G says:

The weather has been crazy here and as I listen to the downpour that just started I am hoping it eases up a bit so I can get a little run in. I am already geared up and ready to run!!! I was just waiting for the sun to come up and rain is coming down by the buckets!