Recovery Is Never An Easy Process

Yesterday marked one week since my car accident.  I’ve been trying to not let the accident overtake me, but its been easier said than done.  The accident did a number on my back, and I’ve had difficulty accepting the physical limitations that I’m currently facing.  Emotionally, I’ve also been having a difficult time.

I know that my current physical and emotional challenges will only make me stronger on the other side of this injury.  But that doesn’t make the recovery process any easier.

Work hasn’t been easy, as I spend the majority of the day on my feet working with my students.  It hasn’t been easy trying to move and stay active either.  When I saw the urgent care doctor last week, she suggested that I try and move as much as I could in order to help prevent my back from stiffening up.  I’ve been doing my best, but naturally, my back has been very tight.  Some days after work I’ve come home in so much pain that all I can bear to do is lay on the couch, often on top of the heating pad.

I tried doing yoga for the first time since the accident last night.  I knew going into it that my back would be tight, but I had no idea just how much flexibility I’ve lost in a week.  Yoga poses and moves that once were super easy for me are now a huge challenge.

I know that I’ll eventually come out on the other side.  I’ll eventually be as flexible as I was before the accident.  I’ll eventually be able to lift weights again.  I’ll eventually be able to run as fast as I could before the accident.  It’ll just take time, patience, and of course determination.

gandhi quote

As for my poor car, let’s just say its making its way to the junkyard.  The amount of repair that the collision center would have had to do would have essentially resulted in them almost rebuilding an entirely new car.  Preston is going to the collision center today to get the last of our belongings from the car.  I decided that seeing the car again isn’t worth it – that it’ll probably bring back more memories from last week than I want to handle right now.  Looking at the pictures I took before my car was loaded onto the tow truck is hard enough, and I fear seeing the car in person will be even worse.  I drive past the accident site at least twice a day, and each time I approach the site I get the chills.  I know with time I’ll heal emotionally.  And hopefully once we purchase a new car that’ll also help me to move on a bit more from this traumatic event.

I know things could be much worse than they are.  I could have been more seriously hurt, I could have left the accident site in an ambulance, and I could have not made it through the accident.  I’m definitely counting my blessings, and remembering all that I have to be grateful for, despite how frustratingly difficult the healing process is.

QOTD: How do you physically and/or emotionally manage traumatic experiences?

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Recovery Is Never An Easy Process

1. Sending you lots of positive thoughts and well wishes! You will recover and be stronger,I’m sure of it. Karen @karenlovestorun

2. Hugs Kathryn! You have a great positive attitude about this all. You WILL recover and be stronger than ever!

3. runsaltrun says:

I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how you were feeling. I think going back to yoga is a great step…it has always helped me so much. Just do as much as you are able and keep on healing. Sending lots of hugs and happy vibes to you, my friend. ❤

It does take time. I had my accident when I was 18, and I avoided that intersection for years. I wasn’t banged up that much, but it was still traumatic. Keep on trucking. Progress is progress no matter how small.

So sorry you are dealing with this…I bet yoga could help a lot for your back pain. Just remember you are strong and you will get through it!!

6. Wow, so sorry hearing about your car accident. But, really glad to hear you are getting better and healing every day. Wishing you well with further recovery!

7. Pixie dust and paw pats coming your way! ❤

8. 😦 I’m so sorry this happened to you! I’m a firm believer in, “everything happens for a reason,” though, so something good is bound to come out of all this! Keep recovering and getting better and soon enough you’ll be back and better and stronger than ever.

9. I am so sorry about this. Just keep breathing and praying (if you do that) and I’m sure you’ll come out of this stronger. Traumatic events are definitely hard to overcome. My only advice is to allow yourself to feel what you feel. If you need to scream, do it. If you need to cry, do it. Wishing you well and hopes for a speedy recovery!

Kathryn, I am so very sorry. It sounds like it was a scary accident and with a totaled car, your body certainly would have dealt with a huge blow. Hopefully you can slowly ease back into your activities over the next few weeks/months.

11. So sorry to hear about your accident and your car. But like your said look on the bright side it could have been a lot worse. And you are ok which is the most important thing.

12. FitNiceRunner says:

Stay strong! Back injuries are difficult because those muscles rarely relax. It could have been a lot worse, stay focused on the positive and you will be better than ever.

13. Dang. I didn’t know you were in an accident. There is so much recovery to go through. Back injuries are the worst and not be messed with.

14. carmyy says:

): I’m so sorry to hear. Sending you all the positive vibes!

15. I’m sorry you’re going through this! Sending you positive, healing thoughts so that you recover quickly.

16. Christine says:

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear that you were in an accident but glad that you are OK. It is really frustrating to be injured and to be limited but take it easy and let your body rest and recover. I know, easier said than done. Sending healing vibes!

17. Somehow I missed hearing about the car accident. I’m so sorry! I’m glad you are ok, but sorry to hear that you are having issues. Give it some time. It will come back. Hang in there.

18. kristenk says:

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon! I know exactly how you feel – I was in a bad car accident on the PA turnpike about 5 years ago and I was traumatized for a while. I would drive past the crash site and see the marks my car made on the road and the median and want to pass out. It does get better but it definitely takes time.

19. Juliana says:

SO sorry again to hear about all of this! Healing will take time and it will get better. Sending you good and healing vibes!!

20. This has to be so frustrating. You just have to give your body (and your mind!) time to heal, and you absolutely WILL come out of this a little bit stronger on the other side. Sending you positive thoughts!

21. *HUGS* hang in there girl. Soon the swelling and inflammation from the trauma will recede and the flexibility will return. Emotionally, I think it will just take a little time and you’ll be able to get past it. Car accidents are terrifying!

22. Pingback: 2015 Year in Review | From Dancing to Running