Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 11

To say that the past two weeks haven’t gone anywhere close to as planned is an understatement.  I’m still in quite a bit of pain from the car accident (but its becoming more bearable and manageable with each new day), and we have no idea yet about the status of my car.  One thing is for certain though: everybody’s help, support, and encouragement has been beyond helpful – overwhelming at times.  Thank you again everybody for all of your virtual support.  I truly feel blessed.

I’m quite proud of the little training that I did do this past week.  What I’m most proud of is making it to the gym on Saturday, when I ran 4 slow progressive miles.  Despite the obstacles that I’ve faced over the past two weeks, I also managed to meet my January mileage goal.  I’ll reflect more on this and my other monthly goals in tomorrow’s blog post, so stay tuned.

4 mile run

To add to Saturday’s excitement I also got to work on breaking in new shoes

I have a follow up appointment with the doctor on Friday, so hopefully I’ll receive clearance to move forward a bit more rigorously with my training.  Some of you shared concern about me running on Saturday.  Just know that the little training I am doing has been approved by the doctor.

Mon 1/26   – Rest day

Tues 1/27 – 3.15 mile run on the treadmill, 0.32 mile cool down walk, abs, legs, glutes

Wed 1/27 – Car accident, unplanned rest day

Thurs 1/28 – Unplanned rest day

Fri 1/29 – 1.21 mile walk around the neighborhood with Riley

Sat 1/30 – 4.05 mile run on the treadmill, 0.48 mile cool down walk, lots of stretching

Sun 1/31 -Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 8.89 miles (8.37 miles less than week 10)

Total Shamrock Training Mileage – 134.94 miles

QOTD: How do you emotionally manage unexpected disruptions to your life?

This entry was posted in Shamrock Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

111 Responses to Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 11

1. cassi9879b says:

Reactions depend upon the type of interruption and when they happen. Don’t worry about your car, just keep within the training allowed by your doctor and watch out for delayed side effects.

2. I tend to stress out when unexpected things happen. I always have to remind myself to step back, take a deep breath and change the plan. Hope you are getting better each day!
    Karen @karenlovestorun

So sorry you have been dealing with this!! I think you are doing a great job….just do what Dora does….just keep swimming 🙂

4. Sorry to hear about your car accident but way to get to your mileage goal despite all the set backs! Hope you hear good news from the doctor on Friday 🙂

5. slow and steady! I had surgery a week ago last Friday and no running for me for 4 weeks! My nice walk outside was heavenly! Make sure you follow doctors orders so you can make a speedy recovering! Remember they make cars everyday but there is only one you! Take care of yourself!

6. Take care of yourself girl! Glad your runs have been approved by the doctor. Hope the doctor’s appointment goes well!

That is awesome that you were still able to meet your mileage goal for the month with the accident. You should definitely be proud of the training you did this week 🙂 I hope that you have a good meeting with the doctor later this week.

8. Ima Mosier says:

It looks like you have had a tough week. Congratulations on taking the rest you needed (very hard for runners, especially when training for an event) to recover and then getting yourself back out there. Good luck with the car.

9. I hate whenever unplanned things get in the way… nothing gets everything off track like a car accident. Hoping you’re all cleared to run and and taking care of yourself xo

10. Oh didnt’ know you were in an accident-so sorry and hope you are feeling better. We all have unplanned disruptions in our training. I’m struggling with a foot injury now that has prevented me from running for the past month and prob put me out of the RnR race again! There is always another race to do. Keep moving forward!

11. Such a great question to ask! I think first, it’s okay to be upset and cry and second you just have to take it one day at a time. I was supposed to be training for my first marathon right now but my hamstring injury has side-lined me pretty good. I try to look at the positives – even if they are little like running 3k every other day for a week and then reassessing my injury.

Glad you are able to keep moving (literally) after your accident and you have support from your Doctor. Actually, now that I think about that, having support from your Doctor (mine included) can help you get through the tough time emotionally since they understand the importance of your training/race/goals etc.

My way of stress is I can handle everything within the situation that is making me stress, but one teeny tiny thing from outside that situation, I drop everything and spazz out. Great job on still meeting your goal!

13. Elle says:

Wow! You had quite the week… I will focus on the positive here and say I love trying out new running shoes too. You look great and the shoes are purty! Hope this week is much better for you.

14. I’m sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to see you are recovering well! Take care of yourself!

15. Glad to hear you are feeling better every day! When unexpected things happen I just try really hard to focus on the positive aspects and have faith that everything else (like a car situation) will work out in the end. I also try to give myself a little bit of grace and remind myself of the situation before I get too hard on myself for things that might get a little left behind in the process. It sounds like you are on a great track, hope you have a good week!

16. kemeyer2014 says:

I’m glad to hear you’re recovering quickly from your car accident. It looks like you have had a great comeback in your training as well. Kudos to you! I get really stressed when things get in the way of my training schedule. Something like a car accident I’d be a bit less stressed and much more understanding of the disruption. But something more minor that interferes with my workout schedule is very disruptive to me! lol

17. Kim says:

Sounds like a scary week for you! When things like that happen, I recognize them as a chance to slow down and take a closer look at what I need to learn. Good luck on your recovery!

18. Hope your are feeling better Kathryn and can progress with your workout regimen soon. I have been taking some time off from running due to my IT band so I have been doing some work out videos and surprisingly I am pretty sore from them.

19. I don’t. I usually have to just let it go quickly. I bum out for a little while then move on. That is exactly what I had to do this week.

20. Great job with the mileage last month!

21. carmyy says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your car accident ): I hope everything turns out okay. sending positive vibes your way!

22. Oh my goodness, I hope you are feeling better Kathryn and you get the full clearance from the Dr so you can get back to your training. You had some great mileage last month!! I usually don’t like when things derail my plans, I am pretty type A but I have been trying to deal with them in better ways. Usually I just try and think that things could be worse and I appreciate what I am able to do about the situation in that moment.

23. I hope you’re feeling better soon! It’s tough when unexpected things happen that affect other parts of your life. I’ve found that taking things one day at a time and taking it easy on myself help.

24. Yikes! I am glad that the injuries are manageable. It’s only a car. As long as you are OK… don’t sweat that. Feel better quickly!

I try to manage unexpected disruptions with grace. I sometimes do and sometimes fail miserably! But, I try!

25. I think I missed where you were in an accident. I’m so sorry and hope you are on the mend! That is much more important than training. I’m recovering from strep so haven’t worked out in a week. I kind of just take a deep breathe, shrug things off and know that tomorrow is another day full of possibilities to make things better! Take care of yourself!!

26. I am really sorry to hear about the accident. Car accidents and what they do to our bodies are no joke, I went through that years ago so I understand a little of what your going through! You’re smart to listen to your Doctor, and it makes sense that keeping active a little while your healing can help!
    Hope you get the full okay to be cleared to push on to more training soon, especially with the half marathon coming up next month!!!

27. Take care of yourself. You only get one body. There are tons of races in your future. Plus, I am sure with proper rest you will make it to the starting line. Speedy recovery to you!

28. I’m sorry you were in a car accident. But you sure have cute pets!

29. alsoranagain says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your car accident! I hope you’re back to normal soon, but in the meantime, good on you for listening to your doctor and waiting for his/her say before returning to your regular training.

When I experience unexpected disruptions, I try to manage them by thinking, “Everything happens for a reason.” It’s not necessarily true, of course, but my mother has said it for as long as I can remember, and she passed it along to me. It provides me some comfort, at least.

Take care of yourself!

30. Shayna says:

Oh no! I’m so sorry! I too was in a car accident, back in August! 5 car pile up on the freeway! And I was training for my first race, a 5K! I’m a brand new runner and it really halted me too. It was so frustrating because I had worked so hard and I couldn’t do anything for 2 weeks. I still went to my race, but I had to walk due to Dr’s orders. Add just the normal frustration and confusion after an accident and I really lost my mojo!

I’m physically ok now, but I still haven’t gotten into the training schedule I was in before. I think maybe the only way to get back on the horse is to enter another race?

I’m glad that you weren’t more hurt! Good Luck for your half marathon!! 🙂

31. Tricia Johnson says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your accident. I was recently in an accident too so I can relate. I’m so impressed that you were still able to power through a 4 mile run and keep up with your training for the most part. Mine has pretty much went to the crapper, with me only getting to a couple of spin classes, physical therapy and yoga for the month+ since my accident. It’s been so frustrating to not be able to do the things I want to do, but know it’s best to take things slowly, which it sounds like you’re doing too. Good luck and feel better!

• I definitely feel your pain! Its been very frustrating not to be able to do everything that less than a week ago I could do. Even simple things like reaching up for something on a high shelf. Stretching my arms above my head is so painful right now.

32. I hope you recover and heal well. Take it easy on yourself!

33. Sun says:

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about the car accident! That sounds very traumatic and would most definitely disrupt planned training. I think you’re doing a good job getting back on track though – a 4 miler on Saturday is great! Hope this week is much better for you 🙂

34. Congratulations on meeting your goal, even with a car accident thrown in! I hope you start feeling better quickly.
    I’m working on doing my best with just rolling with the unexpected. Skipping a week of training won’t derail me, so I just do what I can, when I can, and then when I can get back to my plan, I make sure to do it. Sometimes that’s easier said than done.

35. MB says:

Wow, thanks for sharing! First thing, the fun stuff, you are going to LOVE VA Beach (I see you did R-n-R, but I think J&A’s race will be better!). I did the full in 2013, and it was the most fun I’ve had at a race. So you’ve got that to look forward to!

Second, you are handling this right. That’s tough to have anything unexpected happen that breaks up your rhythm and mojo. And crying is totally good! But everyone here is right, work with your doctor and listen to your body. You can do it! Unexpected things just help us learn alternative paths and ways to get something done. I’d just say that you will want to adjust your expectations for race day and know that you had this extra challenge to deal with! I can’t wait to see how it goes!

36. Ali says:

Oh my gosh! I am so glad you are able to get up and get moving a bit after your accident. A lot of people would use it as an excuse to take a siesta. I hope that moving helps speed your recovery and I hope that you’ll be back at 100% asap.. Take care!

37. Farrah says:

I’m so sorry that you’re dealing with this! :[ I’m glad that you did take the time to make it a rest day though. Good job on reaching your mileage goal despite that, and I’m definitely keeping my fingers crossed for you! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

I hope you are feeling better Kathryn. I know you wouldn’t push yourself without your doctor’s consent – I hope he/she has good news for you this Friday. Your body is well trained and conditioned, when given the green light by your doctor I think you will be a okay for Shamrock. Sending positive vibes your way!

39. I’m so sorry about your accident! Your mileage for Jan was excellent! Hope the dr appt goes well. I love your new shoes!

40. runsaltrun says:

I hope your appointment this week goes well. All things considered you are doing GREAT!!! Just keep taking it easy out there!

41. I’m so sorry about the accident. Take it easy and rest up.

42. Awesome job getting back out there and taking it easy, listening to your body and your doctor. Hope everything goes well with finding out about your car and at your appointment on Friday.

43. Oh my goodness, very glad to hear you are ok after the car accident. Take it easy and don’t push it. Glad to see you hitting your January mileage goal.

44. Donna says:

I hate to hear that you had a rough week but it sure looks like you bounced back pretty well. I’m getting ready to start training for a half myself and reading your blog sure gives me added encouragement! =)

45. katemovingforward says:

What a bummer about your accident! It sounds like you are healing up fairly well though, I don’t think I’ve ever regretted NOT running when I’m injured so listen to your body and doc and rest if you need to but run when you can! Hope you feel better soon and this next week is less stressful. 🙂

46. The last month or so I have had way too much on my plate. I have been working two jobs and Marathon training. In the immortal words of Elsa of Arendale, I’ve had to let it go. A lot. I couldn’t fit in a run today and I had to trust in my training and hope that it would all turn out okay.

47. Dang! Glad you are okay and are able to do a little something. When unexpected crap disrupts my life I usually let myself throw a mini, private, fit and then immediately work at making the best of Plan B, whatever that is. 😀

48. So happy to hear you are ok. Car accidents can be so scary and unsettling. You will get back on track with your training.

49. Sarah H says:

Congrats on hitting your January goal, even with the unexpected disruptions! You seem to be handling a crappy couple of weeks better than I would be…I usually just spring for the chocolate 🙂

50. shohman25 says:

Congrats on hitting your January goal even with the unexpected events! You are definitely handling a crappy couple of weeks better than I do…I usually just spring for the chocolate 🙂