Friday Five – January 23rd – Five Memories from High School

This week’s Friday Five theme with the DC Triefecta is “Five Things About Me.”  I’ve written several posts previously with the “About Me” (you can find some of them here, here, and here), so I thought I’d narrow this week’s topic in a bit more and share five memories from high school.  Because who doesn’t look back on their high school days and love every minute of it? 🙂

1.  The majority of my close friends were all in Marching Band and Color Guard.  Yes, I was a band groupie, and when I wasn’t performing with the dance team at football and basketball games I could usually be found sitting in the stands with the band.  Steak ‘n’ Shake was our post football and basketball game hangout spot.  If you have never gotten a shake at Steak ‘n’ Shake you’re missing out!  (And yes, we went to Steak ‘n’ Shake after our high school reunion back in November!)

My friends Heather and BreAnne and I at a Friday night football game

My friends Heather and BreAnne and I at a Friday night football game

2.  I was on my high school’s Yearbook staff sophomore-senior years of high school, and was an editor junior and senior years.  When I wasn’t busy with academics or my rigorous dance schedule I could usually be found in the Yearbook lab.  And I may or may not have made arrangements to have study hall added to my schedule for my last semester of high school just so that I could spend more time in the Yearbook lab.

3.  My favorite classes in high school were my Social Studies classes.  (Anybody shocked given my profession?)  I have fond memories of participating in mock debates in my International Relations class and late nights baking cookies from scratch with my cookie shop group for my Economics class.

4.  In Illinois, every student is required to take PE classes all four years of high school.  I was so excited junior and senior year when a brand new class called Dance Fitness was offered.  While it didn’t fit into my schedule during junior year (there were very few sections of the class and I had to make the choice between taking upper level core classes or Dance Fitness), I was so excited when it did fit into my schedule senior year.  I loved being able to spend my daily PE time learning ballroom dances, doing yoga, or doing the occasional Tae Bo.

5.  Junior Prom was by far my most favorite of the high school dances that I attended.  My date was my best friend from high school, and although I was super sick with a nasty cold, I had a blast that night.  I always remind my students that who you go to a dance with can make or break your dance experience, and despite being sick (sick enough that I had to go home sick from school the day before Prom), Junior Prom was one of the best nights of my high school experience.

Jon and I at our Junior Prom

Jon and I at our Junior Prom

QOTD: What is one of your favorite memories from high school?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Friday Five – January 23rd – Five Memories from High School

Great minds think alike! I went w a hs theme too haha. We were only required to take .5 year of PE and .5 year of health. I like that your school had so many options, which would make sense if they required it for 4 years.

After I left band, I was still a music groupie because most of my friends were in chorus.

3. fun – i went throw back as well. i was also in the band and loved it! have a great weekend 🙂

4. That’s so cool that you had P.E. 4 years! I was also in yearbook (all 4 years!) and was Editor my senior year. Loved it! 🙂

5. High School memory… well, I was in a Metal band (just like school band right? lol) and I met all of the members while in high school. We did everything together and went to concerts and stuff. I was also kind of a nerd (in a good way) so I was like the weirdest “metal kid”.

6. I joined the band because all of my friends were in it, but it became one of the hardest and most rewarding experiences of high school for me (that includes sports too). I played the cymbals and we marched at a Bears game and then traveled all over the state in competitions. At the state championships at ISU the drumline won the state championship for schools our size! I moved away about a year after graduation but some of those people are still friends.

BTW-Where did you go to school in Illinois? I went to Metamora, which is a small town outside Peoria.

Love the throw back post. Your HS prom photo is so cute.

8. Olivia S says:

I was also a kickline dancer with the band and in winter guard when I was in High School! Your photo brought back a flood of Friday Night and band trip memories!

Now, I’m craving Steak n Shake!! 🙂

9. Karen G says:

I was in Color Guard as well! And, no joke, we would all go to Steak ‘n’ Shake after all the football games! Granted, it was Rural OH, so that was probably the only place open late. 😉
    Fun memories! 🙂

Fun post! I was on the yearbook staff and editor senior year too. I spent a lof time there but it included some of my favorite memories too 🙂

11. Love the HS prom picture. I’m not sure I’d be willing to share mine. ;o)

12. Sweaty Mess says:

I only had to take a semester of PE and a semester of Health. Maybe if I had been forced to take PE for 4 years, I might have had an earlier interest in health and physical activity. Looking back, that’s kind of a shame that some school systems have such a minimal requirement.

13. High School! I played soccer in high school. We only took PE half of our freshman year. I would have loved it for four years, especially now as I am a PE teacher.

14. HoHo Runs says:

I did the whole band thing…Symphonic, Jazz and Marching. I twirled a rifle in the Color Guard. That was AGES ago!

15. runsaltrun says:

This is terrible, but I really can’t think of one. I hated high school so hard. I did have fun sometimes, but nothing specifically that stood out. Your junior prom pic is adorable! I love your dress! I look so tacky in all of mine!