A Day in the Life

Several of you have often asked what a typical day is like for me, especially when you hear that I get up at 4:30 in the morning.  To help answer that question, I thought I’d walk you through a typical weekday.  Here’s a look into what my day was like on Tuesday.a day in the life

4:30 am – Alarm goes off, check e-mail and Social Media, including our school district’s Facebook and Twitter pages to make sure that we actually have school today (its Winter and it’s the DC area, you never know around here)

5:00 am – Shower, make my Shakeology and lunch, check one last time just to be sure that we have school (and last week it was a good thing I was checking multiple times since one day I discovered that school was canceled as I was about to put my coat on and walk out the door)

6:15 am – Out the door, on my way to school

6:45 am – Arrive at school, check work e-mail, respond to as many e-mails as I can, drink the rest of my shake, check in with coworkers

7:00 am – Two of my students drop by my classroom with questions

7:10 am – Make my tea, last chance to use the bathroom before school starts

7:20 am – Bell rings, first class starts

8:55 am – First class ends, homeroom starts (and I actually get to sit down for 30 minutes!)

9:30 am – Homeroom ends, second class starts

10:20 am – Second class ends, time to grab my lunch and head to the workroom for lunch with the other Social Studies teachers

10:50 am – Lunch ends, third class starts

12:30 pm – Third class ends, my planning period starts, check my work e-mail, respond to parents’ and students’ questions

1:15 pm – Head to the copier and find a long line (no surprise here)

1:40 pm– Finally finish copying one class set of a midterm, I’m now five minutes late to my team planning meeting (thankfully, my Assistant Principal and team leader understand)

2:05 pm – School ends for the day, I head back to my classroom to find that the teacher that uses my classroom during the last period of the day has allowed her students to leave the room a huge mess that I now get to clean up (unfortunately, this is a usual occurrence)

2:10 pm – A couple of students stop by for remediation and extra help, one of my students from last year stops by offering to help file papers or help with grading (she’s in need of Honors Society hours)

3:30 pm – I’m finally leaving school only 50 minutes after my contract time has ended

3:50 pm – Stop at the post office on my way home from school

4:05 pm – Arrive home, greet Riley, let him out, and spend some time with him on the couch while we watch a little TV

4:30 pm – Eat a snack, check my e-mail and Social Media, work on my blog

5:30 pm – Preston arrives home from work, we get ready to head to the gym

6:15 pm – Arrive at the gym

7:45 pm – Arrive back home from the gym, we both shower and make dinner

8:30 pm – Dinner is finally on the table

9:00 pm – Work on finishing my blog post for the next day, check e-mail and Social Media, watch some of the State of the Union but I’ve been awake way too long to give the speech my undivided attention, I glance over at the pile of essays on my dining room table that need to be graded but find that I’m starting to fall asleep on the couch

10:20 pm – Head to bed

QOTD: What time do you get up in the morning?  Do you workout by yourself or wait for your significant other to arrive home so that you can workout together?

Congrats to Mindy Bobe, the winner of my Gorton’s Realistic Resolution giveaway!  Be sure to check your e-mail so that you can receive your prize!

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to A Day in the Life

  1. Amazing to hear someone gets up earlier than me! ! Also how do you go to bed at 10.20? I have to get to bed by 10.00pm latest in order to survive the early morning. Very impressive! Keep up the good work! 🙂

  2. Sue @ This Mama Runs For Cupcakes says:

    School gets out at 2 o’clock???!!! Wow!

  3. Lesley says:

    I wake up at 6 but I live semi-close to work, and will live closer once I move next week. By that point, my commute in will be about 15 minutes.

  4. kryscasey says:

    That is a long and busy day! I give you credit that you even make it to 10:20! I typically wake up around 5 and get my workout done first thing in the morning. I never know what time ill get out of work and dont want to take my chances of not getting it in after work.

  5. How do you manage to not starve from 10:20-8??? Is your snack pretty solid? I’m starved when I eat lunch at 2 and it’s 630-7 when I usually get home!

  6. I’m with ya with getting up that early for work. The only thing good about getting up that early is that I get done earlier in the day. Wow 8:30 is way late for dinner for me. Heck by that time I sometimes am already for bed.

  7. hellotofit says:

    My alarm goes off at 4:45, but I usually don’t get out of bed till around 5. Early personal training clients every day makes for waking up before the sun rises, just like you 🙂 happy Thursday!!

  8. Larissa says:

    Busy busy! I can’t believe you eat lunch that early.I would be starving by early afternoon. I’m a morning workout-er, though I don’t get up until 6. I don’t have to be out of the house until 8 AND I can walk to the office, thus avoiding DC driving and/or a metro commute. It’s so nice.

  9. Whew! You are busy, busy girl…and I know as a fellow teacher that you don’t have that many moments to yourself during the day. I couldn’t eat lunch that early! That’s my mid-morning snack time 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun

  10. Wow girl! Your day sounds as crazy as mine! You don’t stop until night time! That’s the way it is for me too. I get up every morning at 5:25 for a quick run to start the day. 🙂

  11. Ugh, that godawful 5am wakeup heart attack,,,but if I want to get out of work at 4pm and get home to the Wonder Mutt, that’s what I do. The hubs is always home before me, so if it’s a gym day, he waits for me. Otherwise we work out at home or I’m off to yoga. Of course, Calypso always makes ab work a little more challenging!

  12. Pingback: Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 10 | From Dancing to Running

  13. Pingback: Friday Five – March 13th – Five Scenes From My Week | From Dancing to Running

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s