Slowly Making Progress

If you a frequent reader of this blog, or you follow me on Social Media, then you’re probably well aware of the progress that I’ve been making this training cycle.  I haven’t kept the increasing of my running speed a secret whatsoever.  My average speed for each of my runs has increased dramatically.  Since late fall, for the majority of my weekday runs (which are usually from 3-3.5 miles in length), I’ve been averaging a sub 10:00 min/mile.  For the majority of my long runs, I’ve been averaging a sub 11:00 min/mile.  My recent training has me hopeful that I’ll be able to run Shamrock at a sub 11:00 min/mile.  My current half marathon PR was set with me running an 11:27 min/mile pace.

Stats from last weekend's 8 mile run.  Not only was my average pace below 10:00 min/mile, but I successfully ran negative splits!

My stats from last weekend’s 8 mile run. Not only was my average pace below 10:00 min/mile, but I successfully ran negative splits!

But my running speed is not the only area of my running where I’ve recently made improvements.

My endurance has also seen vast improvements over the past year.  A year ago I might, on a very good day, be able to run a 5k on the treadmill without any walking.  That was a very infrequent occurrence though.  Now, its rare that I walk at all when completing one of my weekday runs on the treadmill.  Its only been when I’m facing a difficult run that I walk at all during a weekday run.

My endurance has also carried over to my long runs as well.  I’ve been able to greatly increase my run-walk intervals over the past three months.  I completed Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach last August with 2 minute run/1 minute walk intervals for the first six miles and 3 minute run/1 minutewalk intervals for last six miles of the race.  I completed the Army Ten Miler back in October with a combination of 2:15/0:45 and 3:15/0:45 intervals.  For the majority of my long runs during my Shamrock training, I’ve been maintaining 4:15 run/0:45 walk intervals, and the only run where I really felt tired at the end was my eight mile run last weekend.  I’m hoping to maintain these long run intervals, but even dropping down to 3:15/0:45 intervals would be an improvement from my last two major races.

Mentally, I’ve also been becoming stronger.  Last winter, I was very quick to head straight to the treadmill on cold and snowy days.  Many of my runs, both short and long, while training for my first half marathon last winter, were completed on the treadmill.  This winter, I’m proud to report that all but one of my long runs have been completed outside.  I’ve bundled up, embraced the cold, and am learning to not use the cold as an excuse.

I’ve also become mentally stronger in terms of how I approach difficult runs.  If I’m having a difficult training day, I try to talk myself through to the end of my run, instead of talking myself out of completing a run.  A year ago, I tended to do the opposite if I was having a difficult day.

Is there still room for me to make more progress?  Absolutely.  But am I proud of the progress that I’ve recently made, especially since I started my Shamrock training back in November?  You bet!

QOTD: What progress have you recently made with your training?

Be sure to enter my Gorton’s Realistic Resolution giveaway!  It ends at midnight tonight.

This entry was posted in Milestones, Motivation, Training and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Slowly Making Progress

It has been so much fun watching your progress the last year Kathryn. You work really hard at your training and it shows not only on your Garmin, but your enthusiasm on social media. Running does not come easy and you have to put in alot of effort to get great results. Congrats on your progress….can’t wait to follow you at Shamrock!

2. It’s always great to see all of the hard work and traning pay off! Running outside is no joke, you definitely have to get used to it but it also makes you stronger. Keep up the good work!
    Karen @karenlovestorun

So proud of you! You have been working so hard and its been nice seeing your get stronger and faster! Looking fwd to Shamrock 🙂

4. Congrats on the improvements! Doesn’t it feel great when you see how much your consistent training is paying off? Keep up the good work.

5. You have done a great job with your progress, and you should be very proud! Keep up the awesome work and you will continue to reach your goals!

6. Girl I have so enjoyed watching your progress! You’ve improved so much!!!

7. I LOVE this post! You are killing it, first of all, and thanks so much for reminding all of us just how much all of our hard does pay off! It’s amazing to think back on where we were just a year ago. Keep it up! 😀

8. runsaltrun says:

INCREDIBLE progress!! Congratulations on that fastest mile and that is one fine looking progression run!!

Your progress really has been amazing! It’s so cool to have the data to be able to look back and see where you started and how far you’ve come. I’m sure you’ll have further still to go 🙂

10. Your progress really is awesome! Keep up the great work!

I feel as though my running has regressed, but I have had to cut back due to pregnancy. It has me itching to get back and make progress on my speed and endurance, and I can’t wait until I’m physically able to do that!

11. It’s exciting to see so much change! Good for you. Last year was a similar year for me. This year with my hamstring injury I am a little behind but hoping it will pick back up once I get stronger again.

12. Congratulations on your fastest mile. Well on your way to a new PR this Spring.

It’s so great to see progress! It’s hard for me to gauge how I’m doing since I run faster off the treadmill, but it’s still a good workout.

14. charissarunning says:

You’re making huge progress and I’m so glad you’re enjoying your runs! I’m sure you’ll have a big PR coming in a few weeks. Keep it up!

15. You’re doing AWESOME, keep it up!

16. this has been awesome to see! congrats – you’re going to do great at Shamrock! Then we’ll celebrate with a beer 😉

17. Nice work! There’s no better feeling than seeing all your hard work pay off. Good luck at Shamrock!

18. Amanda Nyx says:

Great work! It’s always awesome to see REAL results! You’re making great forward progress, keep pushing and never give up 😀

19. haleyduke17 says:

You are doing so great. I’m proud and happy for you! Keep it up and you’ll be breaking through those goals soon enough.