Friday Five – January 9th – Five Things I Love About Disney World

I’ll admit, I haven’t always been a fan of Disney World.  I only went once as a child (in first grade), and didn’t make a return trip until a month after Preston and I got married.  For the longest time I didn’t understand how adults could love Disney World.  I thought, “Isn’t is supposed to be a place for kids?”

It was inevitable that I would learn to love Disney World as a result of marrying Preston.  I was made well aware of his family’s love for Disney on our first date, when I found out that Preston and his family had annual passes to Disneyland when they lived in southern California, and since they moved to the East Coast have spent the majority of their vacations at Disney World.  It wasn’t until my second adult trip to Disney World in January 2013 for Preston’s first marathon when I truly came to appreciate how Disney isn’t just for kids.

Before the marathon started

Before the marathon started

Preston and I have had Disney on our minds a lot lately.  We were just there before Christmas on vacation with his dad, siblings, and their significant others.  Disney World Marathon Weekend is happening right now, and its been fun following along with everybody via Social Media.  We’re headed to Florida for my Spring Break, and our vacation will include spending a couple of days at Disney.  We have our calendar marked for when registration for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon opens in March, and are looking forward to planning our third trip in less than 12 months for this coming November when, as long as we’re able to successfully register, will be running our next runDisney race.

So what is it about Disney World that I have come to love so much?

1.  Seeing the classic Disney characters brings back wonderful memories from my childhood.

With Winnie the Pooh in January 2014

With Winnie the Pooh in January 2014

2.  You can eat around the world within the span of just a couple of days.

Before eating dinner in France in September 2011

Before eating dinner in France at Epcot in September 2011

3.  Being there makes you feel like a kid at heart.

Preston, his siblings, and I

Preston, his siblings, and I in September 2011

4.  You can run through a castle.

Preston and I right after we ran through Cinderella's Castle in January 2014 during the Disney World Half Marathon Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Right after we ran through Cinderella’s Castle in January 2014 during the Disney World Half Marathon
Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

5.  You can feel like a princess for a day (or a week).

Posing with Belle in January 2013

Posing with Belle in January 2013

And because I couldn’t stop at just five reasons for this post…

6.  Its usually warmer at Disney World than it is here at home in Virginia.

Don't let Minnie and Mickey's sweaters fool you, it was in the 70s when we were at Disney last month

Don’t let Minnie and Mickey’s sweaters fool you, it was in the 70s when we were at Disney last month

QOTD: What do you love most about Disney World?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Friday Five – January 9th – Five Things I Love About Disney World

1. Big fans of Disney here too, but since we go for races, we plan vacations elsewhere. I am excited that in two weeks I will be on a cruise in the Caribbean getting away from cold winter weather!

2. I never understood the whole Disney thing when I was growing up. Even though we live an hour from the park, Disney was never something my family did. And that’s okay because we took a lot of other fabulous vacations. But when I met my boyfriend almost 4 years ago I was introduced to Disney like never before. They’ve always been pass holders and the camp at Fort Wilderness multiple times a year. I was reintroduced to the magic and now I relish every moment when we are at Disney. We leave the world behind and take time to unwind.

3. I am a Disney fanatic! I love everything about it…especially the magic you feel when you’re there! It’s like its own little magical world!

4. haleyduke17 says:

I didnt learn to loooove Disney until i became a parent. Now I’m all about it. It truly is a magical place. The castle lighting this year, with Elsa and Anna from Frozen, gave me goosebumps. I was in awe.

I love Disney, I haven’t been there in so long and can’t wait to go back with the kids. We are actually thinking about a Disney Cruise this summer!

6. John @ run. geek. run(disney) says:

Great list. I LOVE Disney. I almost used it as my choice for the linkup too. Both my wife and I are huge Disney fans.

I absolutely love how Mike and I both feel like we can be silly and feel like kids when we’re at Disney.

8. I love Disney as well! (I have since I was a child) I ran the Disney Princess Half last year and it was so much fun running through the Magic Kingdom and seeing all the characters. I was excited to get a picture with Ariel afterwards, my favorite princess 🙂

My family’s been Disney through and through. I don’t know which park I like more, Disneyland or Disney World. I was watching trivia last night and there was a category of Disney songs. Nailed them 🙂

10. I’ve only been to Disneyland once as a kid and never to Disney World. I’m running the Glass Slipper Challenge next month. I can’t wait to get there and experience the magic!

11. I’ve never been to Disneyworld but I want to go so bad! I went to Disneyland as a teenager but I’ve heard Disneyworld is so much better, especially as an adult.

12. A FAVORITE thing about Disney?? No, you’re not asking for anything to difficult now, are we? 🙂 I’d have to say how Disney makes it so easy, (maybe TOO easy), to forget about the “world” outside and just get lost in all the magic. Even with screaming kids – and their equally screaming parents – you can pretty much easily get away from them, just let go and enjoy yourself. The ability to make Disney “adult” is what we’re all about!

13. What’s not to love about Disney! I love how you are free to act like a kid while you are there. We run the Princess Half every year as our annual trip now that we have our daughter. Plus, she is old enough to participate in the kids races so it makes it even more fun for her. I’m sure she will tire of it eventually, but for now, it is a great getaway in the middle of the winter!

14. i think disney is WAY better as an adult – and i LOVED it as a kid. it’s just so much fun. my husband has never been so we need to plan a trip!

15. thesimplepeach says:

I love Disney World! I haven’t been in a couple years but we are going next month since I am running the Princess Half. Eating around the world (Epcot) is always a favorite!

16. I LOVE Disney, but my husband doesn’t. Being only an hour away, luckily I can go there with people who are visiting, and runDisney events are great reasons to get back in the parks 🙂

17. HoHo Runs says:

My Friday Five post was on Disney as well. It has changed so much over the years, but the magic is still the same! My first half marathon was there (and my second). Love it.

18. Jolene @ Southern Fried Soul says:

I can’t *wait* to get back to Disney. My son and I LOVE it there!! While I am not a huge fan of running there (those 2:30am wake up calls are hard for someone who goes to bed at 1am normally), I am insanely jealous seeing all the pictures of my friends that are there this weekend.

19. I had a ton of fun when I went to Disney for Princess a couple of years ago. I’m probably never doing another Disney race but would love to go back just for the sheer fun of it!

20. runsaltrun says:

I CANNOT FREAKING WAIT TO GO IN FEBRUARY!!! I used to go to Disney constantly as a kid because my grandparents lived near. I went once as an adult and had so much fun! And I can’t wait to see it through Betty’s eyes! (Granted I am a little sad to not be there for marathon weekend, but next year!)

21. Love your reasons! I’m getting ready to head out for WDW Half marathon so happy first anniversary of your first half! Hopefully I will be able to do wine and dine again because it’s my favorite!