Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 7

After this past week, all I can say is thank goodness for being on Winter Break!  By the time we got back from our Christmas vacation last Sunday night, my cold had worsened and I felt absolutely miserable.  I was sick enough that had we not been on Winter Break, I would have taken a couple of sick days off from work.  I spent a couple of days debating whether or not to head to the doctor, and in hindsight I probably should have since I also battled a sinus infection that I eventually fought off.  Although we had plans to go to a friend’s house for New Year’s Eve, we decided last minute that it would be best to stay home in order for me to rest, and we definitely made the right decision.

By Thursday, I felt well enough to head to the gym for the first time in over two weeks, and to run for the first time in almost a week.  I took my first run since being sick slow, but it felt absolutely amazing to be back in the gym and running again.

It felt so good to run again on Thursday and to be back in the gym!

The training highlight of my week was Saturday’s long run.  It was my first run over a 5k since December 13th.  It was also my first run with my new Garmin, which was my Christmas present from Preston.

first garmin run

Mon 12/29 – 35 minutes of yoga

Tues 12/30 – Rest day

Wed 12/31 – Rest day

Thurs 1/1 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.49 mile cool down walk, kettlebell squat swings, abs, glutes

Fri 1/2 – 2.07 mile walk around the neighborhood with Riley

Sat 1/3 – 6.02 mile run around the neighborhood, 0.44 mile cool down walk

Sun 1/4 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 12.12 miles (8.58 miles more than week 6)

Total Shamrock Training Mileage – 77.24 miles

Given how well Saturday’s run went, I’m excited to be back at it and to have resumed my half marathon training!  Only 10 weeks to go until Shamrock!

QOTD: What new running gear did you get for Christmas?  Have you used it yet?

This entry was posted in Shamrock Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 7

1. Tiff says:

I’m glad you’re feeling better. Comebacks are haaaard!

Sweet gift, btw! 🙂

2. Happy to hear you are feeling better and love the Garmin!
    Karen @karenlovestorun

Glad you are feeling better – I think I am starting to come down with a cough myself! Nice present – Garmin pics are fun 🙂

4. haleyduke17 says:

Glad to hear youre on the mend.
    I received lots of running gear for christmas, new shoes, socks, visor and pullover. It was a good Christmas for me.

Glad you’re feeling better and enjoying a new Garmin! I got some new compression socks for Christmas and a foot massager that I’ve definitely used. I also got a new gym bag that I’ll be breaking in tomorrow 🙂

I got a new Garmin but I’ve been sick as well. I haven’t been able to use it yet, or the running gear I got 😦 I was also on break, so even though I was miserable and wanted to have fun with my family, I didn’t have to use any sick time from work.

7. What a great Christmas gift. I love the color. Is that the new 15? I have the ten and there is nothing wrong with that so I can’t be upgrading just yet. Glad to hear that you are feeling much better and was able to grt a long run in.

8. LilMysNinja says:

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Good luck on your training! 🙂

9. Glad you’re feeling better Kathryn! I’m still enjoying my new Garmin from my birthday in November!

10. wow – is shamrock just 10 weeks away?? omg this year is already flying by 🙂 glad you are feeling better, lady!

11. Glad to hear you are feeling better! I got cash for Christmas and still trying to figure out what something pretty I want to buy myself 🙂 and oh my – 10 weeks? Yikes! I need to get on this training thing!

12. cheriarmour says:

Cool that you’re doing this half! Shamrock was my first full! Great race, sorta crappy weather that year. Would definitely do it again. You will enjoy that course. Nice and flat. Little windy, but nothing you can’t handle.

So glad that you are feeling better Kathryn. I have been struggling with a sore throat the last 5 days, was seen at the doc and was told it was a virus and not the flu. I have been self medicating but just wish it would go away. Your Shamrock training is going well and I am tempted to travel to Virginia Beach just so I can cheer for Christine and all our running friends who will be there!

I didn’t get any running gear for Christmas, can you believe it?