My Year of Running

Its incredible to look back and think about all that I’ve accomplished this year!  At this time last year, I was training for my first half marathon, and now I’ve crossed the finish line of three half marathons, as well as a handful of other races.  I love looking back and being able to see all that I’ve accomplished this year!

With my last race of 2014 having been last weekend, now’s the perfect time to start looking back.  I’ll share a couple of different year end reviews over the next couple of weeks, but I thought it would be fun to start the end of year reflection with the linkup that Miss Zippy is hosting.

year_of_running_2014

Best Race Experience:

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon! Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon!
Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon, the Disney World Half, back in January has been my best race experience to date.  There was no greater feeling than having my sights on accomplishing my goal to finish my first half marathon (which I set in March 2013), and then doing everything necessary in order to ensure that I accomplished my goal.  And doing so with Preston by my side made the experience that much sweeter.

Best Run:

post rnrvb

I absolutely loved my last half marathon, Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach.  There was no sight better than finishing the race on the boardwalk while overlooking the ocean, and then being able to put my feet in the sand post race.  Not only did I PR and meet my goal pace, but I was able to celebrate my accomplishment with several other bloggers at the finish line.

Best New Piece of Gear:

pro compression

My PRO Compression marathon socks and sleeves.  They have been critical to my post long run recovery, especially after races.

Best Piece of Running Advice You Received:

To keep up with cross training, weight training, and yoga.  Being a successful athlete means taking care of all of your muscles and incorporating a variety of exercises and stretches to make you the strongest runner possible.

Most Inspirational Runner:

Preston's six Dopey Challenge medals: 5k, 10k, half, full, Goofy, and Dopey

Preston’s six Dopey Challenge medals: 5k, 10k, half, full, Goofy, and Dopey

My husband continues to be my #1 inspiration.  Not only is he my #1 cheerleader, motivator, and supporter, but his own accomplishments inspire me everyday.  I am still in awe that he completed the Dopey Challenge back in January.

If You Could Sum Up Your Year in a Couple of Words, What Would They Be:

Continuing to Make Progress

QOTD: How was your year of running?  Did you accomplish everything that you wanted to?  What did you learn this year?

This entry was posted in Milestones, Motivation, Races, Training and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to My Year of Running

1. What a great year of running for the both of you. Va beach is one of my favorite places to run.

2. Liz says:

Congrats on a great running year! Aren’t ProCompression socks the best? I love mine as well!

3. Congratulations on a great year! I love that runDisney was your first race experience too!
    This year will be very exciting for you 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun

4. CARLA says:

I did this post but my year of WALKING.
    and yes 🙂
    I accomplished more than I ever thought I could.

5. What an amazing year Kathryn!!!

6. Debbie @ Deb Runs says:

You had a great running year, Kathryn, and congrats on running your first marathon! I’m in awe of your husband for completing the Dopey Challenge, too!

Sounds like a great year! My year would be summed up with “bouncing back”. Just took a little longer to bounce.

8. What an amazing year for you! And it’s been so fun to follow you along this crazy path of running. Keep it up and we’ll see you at the finish line. 🙂

9. congratulations – this is awesome! I love how you and Preston are able to share these moments together. 🙂

That’s so sweet that Preston is your most inspirational runner 🙂 Looks like you’ve had an amazing year! Here’s hoping that next year is as well.

11. Looks like a great year! Congrats!

Congratulations on a fantastic year and I loved the Virginia Beach race because we finally got to meet you and Preston. My favorite memory of 2014 was crossing the finish line and Quintiles Marathon when I knew I had my BQ! It was magical!

you had such an incredible year! i can’t believe you were training for your first half only a year ago… you seem like a pro now 🙂 looking fwd to your next year of running!

14. Juliana says:

great post! it is amazing how far we can come in a year! You have really rocked it and I think 2015 is going to be a great year for you! I always forget that you just ran your first half a year ago-so inspiring!

15. Pingback: 2014: A Running Retrospective | LNRB for Miles