Friday Five – December 5th – Holiday Travel Edition

Happy Friday everybody!  With this week’s theme being Friday Favorites, us now being in the midst of the holiday season, and with Preston and I having flown to Illinois last week for Thanksgiving and us flying to Disney World in another 14 days, I thought that it would be perfect to dedicate this week’s Friday Five to Holiday Travel.

Although many people dread the travel part of the Holidays, there can be some positives associated with it as well.  It all depends on your mindset and approach to travel.  So what are some of my favorite parts of Holiday Travel?

1.  Crazy lines and crazy people at the airport make for great people watching.

Holiday travel definitely brings the crazies out.  Even during delays and connections (which we thankfully didn’t have to deal with either of those last week when we traveled to Illinois), I am usually quite entertained by the people I’m surrounded by.

2.  Long days of travel make for lots of time that you get to spend with your significant other.

While long travel days might not be glamorous, there’s nobody else I’d rather spend my time with than Preston.

3.  Surprise gifts of TSA Pre-Check are always welcomed.

Preston and I were blessed to be surprised with TSA Pre-Check during our return trip from Illinois on Monday.  When the TSA agent directed us to the pre-check line, he even said “Happy Holidays!”  It was definitely a welcomed gift!

4.  Delays give you the opportunity to meet new people.

Back in January when I traveled to Illinois for my mom’s surprise birthday party, I was not only rerouted but also met with delay after delay after delay.  The delays meant that I not only got to suffer the agony of the delays with other people, but that we had lots of time to talk and get to know one another.

5.  Holiday travel usually means that you get to spend one of the most magical times of the year with loved ones who live far away.

Since both Preston’s side of the family and my side of the family don’t live near us, we always travel for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Its wonderful to be able to spend both holidays with our families.

295179_10100229550665495_686303231_n

Christmas Eve 2012 with my parents and sisters

QOTD: What is your favorite part of Holiday Travel?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Friday Five – December 5th – Holiday Travel Edition

1. Love that you found so many positives in something many people don’t like. I will be staying put for the holidays, but my favorite part of travel in general is the uninterrupted time to read a good book.

I like your positive outlook on instances that can make people travel crazy. Luckily my close family live in the area so I do not have to do any holiday traveling, but these would come in handy when I travel for work. TSA pre-check is sooo nice 🙂

3. I don’t mind air travel…we usually get to the airport early and have a drink together and people watch or meet other travelers. It does make it more of an adventure during the busy travel days.

It is hard to find the positives in travel. I’m a nervous flyer and I don’t like airports, so I just try to make it through without any drama. Traveling for Christmas means I get to see my parents 🙂

5. I don’t really travel much for holidays and if I do it’s only a few hours by car. But I can imagine how tough traveling can be!

Ahhh yes, pre-kids travel…so many wonderful memories 🙂 Enjoy it.

7. haleyduke17 says:

I don’t consider myself to be a very cheerful traveler, especially since we have two little ones until 4 years old, but I used to enjoy it much more. Definitely like to people watch. But most times we would just belly up to the bar and have a bloody Mary or two before flights.
    Have a great weekend!!

8. This is a little cheesy, but I love watching people greet their loved ones at the airport during the holidays (and any time of year). And yes, I enjoyed seeing this even before the movie “Love Actually” came out… 🙂

I love spending time with my family at holidays but the travel is not so fun! However, our drive to VA for thanksgiving wasn’t too bad!

Great way to remain positive! I always end up flying somewhere for the holidays and I don’t mind it so much once we get through security. It’s a good way to catch up on some reading 🙂

11. Oh my Holiday travel! When I am not working I try to avoid airports as much as possible. It’s true you see ton of holiday travelers that only travel once a year and have no idea how things go.

12. HoHo Runs says:

I just have a short trip and back on Christmas Eve. You are so right! It’s extremely entertaining to just watch other people.

13. Juliana says:

TSA pre-check is really like a Christmas present everytime. i went ahead and spent the 85 dollars to make sure I have pre-check everytime-such a good investment!

14. I haven’t been traveling for holidays much since moving back near my parents and siblings, but I did love that excitement of packing up the suitcase with Christmas gifts for others!