2014 Turkey Trot Recap

Not every race needs to be large and glamorous.  Sometimes the races that are most memorable are those that are smaller in size.

I don’t think I’ve run a more low key race than the three mile Turkey Trot that I ran Thanksgiving morning.  In fact, this race was so low key that you didn’t even have to register in advance of the race, nobody wore a race bib, and if you wanted to time your race you had to do it yourself.  Oh, and the race was free!

The Turkey Trot that Preston and I ran last Thursday was put on by the local parks and rec department in my hometown.  This race was both runner and walker friendly (1.5 mile loop for walkers, 3 mile loop for runners), and was held at a local park.

What made this race special was that my dad joined us and walked the race.

with dad

In addition, it flurried during the entire race.  It was the first time that I ran while it snowed.  The snow made it such a peaceful experience.

Preston opted to run the race at my pace, and I’m thankful that he did.  The cold air quickly got to me, and about halfway through the race my lungs started bothering me.  We took a couple of short walk breaks, and made it across the finish line in 30:26.  Given that I had never previously run outside with the temperature in the mid 20s, I was more than pleased with my pace during the race.

turkey trot

The Turkey Trot wound up being the perfect way to kick off Thanksgiving.  It was low key and a family event, and just how I wanted it to be.  And the icing on the cake was that with the Turkey Trot I accomplished my goal to run 14 races in 2014!

QOTD: Did you run a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving?  What was your Turkey Trot experience like?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to 2014 Turkey Trot Recap

1. I love running in cold weather and flurries, but maybe not at Thanksgiving 🙂 Sounds like a fun event!

What a great idea to do something low key on Thanksgiving and fun that your dad could also be part of the race. We enjoyed our turkey trot, at least Christine and I did! The boys tolerated it! haha

Glad your dad was able to join in on the fun. That is nice that the race was low key and free – great to hear an event makes it accessible to all!

4. Kristen says:

Great job! You’re on pace to do a new PR soon!

5. Sounds like a fun race! I love that it was free!!! 🙂

That’s great that your dad was able to do this one too! I loved the 5k experience I had with my dad. I love the Montgomery County low key races. They’re all day of registration but they do at least have timing and bibs. It’s great that this one was free, that’s always a nice way to encourage more people to do it.

7. Congrats on reaching your 14 in ’14 goal!!

8. Awesome! Congrats on completing your “14 in ’14” goal! Low-key races can be so much fun, especially when they’re holiday-themed. It’s awesome that your dad got to join in on the fun, as well! 🙂

9. Fun! I didn’t get to do a turkey trot but I ran my own 5k in my neighborhood that afternoon!

10. That’s awesome that it was free and so low key! Snow running is always peaceful even though it’s cold. Congrats on 14 in 14!!

Running in the cold always gets to my lungs. Sometimes I need to use my inhaler to stop the coughing! It takes them a while to warm up if I’ve been out in cold weather.

12. kristenk says:

Congrats on 14 in 2014! I have 3 more to go and I’m packing it in 🙂

13. Juliana says:

that’s awesome! I ran a 5k+10k Turkey Trot in downtown LA. over 4000 runners but it was still really low key. and my 14th race will come on Saturday!

14. I would love to do a Turkey Trot! I wasn’t able to this year as I am injured. And I think it would be awesome to run in the snow! (Great pace btw!) I live in Florida though, so the odds of that happening are lik -1% haha.

15. Pingback: 2014 Christmas Town Dash 8k Recap | From Dancing to Running

How fun! I was supposed to do a Turkey Trot but decided to sit it out because of a nagging hip flexor issue!

17. Pingback: 2014 Year in Review | From Dancing to Running

18. Pingback: Tips for Staying Healthy Over the Holidays (and a SmartyPants Giveaway!) | From Dancing to Running