Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

Its hard to believe that another week has already come and gone!  This past week has been super busy, and included a trip to Illinois to spend Thanksgiving with my family.  Between bad weather in DC, changing our flight, and the holiday itself, it was one crazy week.  I’m sure you noticed that I didn’t blog much last week.  That wasn’t my intention, but things always seem to be extra busy around the holidays.

Despite traveling and how busy the holiday week kept us, I’m super proud of myself for keeping up with my workouts, especially while we’ve been in Illinois.  Depending on how our travel day goes today, I may have two rest days in a row, but I’m optimistic that I’ll have another successful week this coming week.

The training highlight of my week was Thursday’s Turkey Trot.  This was the first time that I’ve run a Turkey Trot, and while I’ll save the recap for another post, it was the perfect way to kick off the Thanksgiving holiday.

turkey trot

Other than Thanksgiving itself, the other highlight of our time here in Illinois was my ten year high school reunion.  It was great to see old friends and catch up with several people.  Its hard to believe that its already been ten years since I graduated!  Time has certainly flown by!

As for the rest of my training week, I’m so proud of the fact that I kept up with all of my planned workouts, and even made it to the gym twice while we’ve been here in Illinois visiting my family.  Thank goodness that Preston and I are members of a nationwide gym chain that has a location in my hometown!

Mon 11/24 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.25 mile cool down walk, abs

Tues 11/25 – 15 minutes of yoga

Wed 11/26 – Travel day

Thurs 11/27 – Turkey Trot (3 miles)

Fri 11/28 – 35 minutes on the elliptical, abs, glutes, chest, back, arms

Sat 11/29 – 6.00 mile run on the treadmill, 0.30 mile cool down walk

Sun 11/30 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 15.89 miles (3.12 miles more than week 1)

Total Shamrock Training Mileage – 28.66 miles

QOTD: How do you make sure that you get your workouts in when you’re traveling?

This entry was posted in Shamrock Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving! Ahh reunions I have a college one coming up during the Spring/Summertime.

2. Great job keeping up with your workouts while out of town! That’s what I love about running….you can do it anywhere!

Sounds like you had a great week! I agree that things always seem extra busy around the holidays. We had flight issues as well and ended up changing our Wednesday evening flight to Thursday morning.

4. Great job on still getting your workouts in during the holiday weekend. I have never done a turkey trot. They always look so fun but every year it always seems to snow where I live during that time. And of course this year it did not disappoint.

My 10-year high school mark was last year, and college will be in 2.5 years. CRAZY! I did some core work Thanksgiving morning, but not any of the turkey trots. I did one in 2012 when I was with my parents, my mom and I did the 5k and my dad did the 5-miler. It was a great way to start the day.

Nice job on your workouts Katherine, I make it a priority to workout while on vacation, but sometimes we plan the vacation right after a big race and then I have rest/recovery time which works out perfectly!

7. Juliana says:

great week recap! and you are so lucky you got to go to your 10 year reunion! Mine was over Wine and Dine weekend so since I was running I couldn’t go. I suggested either over thanksgiving or christmas break but oh-well

Oh gosh, I feel SO old now…10 years? It’s been, OMG, TWENTY years this year??!! How did that happen??

9. Lindsay says:

I realize this post is super OLD… but I think you grew up in the town I live in. If you come back to B/N again you should totally use the trails for running they are the BEST. I wouldn’t be able to get in my long runs without them! 🙂