Why Do You Run?

Often times when I discuss my passion for running, I’m often met with the response of, “You’re crazy!”  Many people think that I’m absolutely nuts to have put myself on this running journey, and often gasp when they hear that I’ve run three half marathons this year, among other races.

So why do I bother pushing myself and training to run races?

I run because I feel empowered and on top of the world when I put my mind to something and accomplish it.  I was always told that dancers can’t run, and after dancing for as long as I did I had talked myself out of the ability to run.  But I’ve proven to myself that not only can I run, but I can set my sights on conquering a goal, like crossing the finish line of a half marathon, and feel on top of this world when I’ve accomplished my goal.

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon was one of the most amazing feelings of accomplishment that I've ever felt! Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon was one of the most amazing feelings of accomplishment that I’ve ever felt!
Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

I run because my I have the physical ability to do so.  Not everybody in this world is able to partake in the physical activities that they would like to, and I’m thankful to be able to do so.  While I may have a weak ankle, I refuse to let this physical obstacle prevent me from getting out and hitting the road running.

Photo Credit: Potomac River Running

Photo Credit: Potomac River Running

I run because its a stress reliever.  Many days, even if I go into my workouts feeling tired and drained mentally by life’s stressors, I often feel better about life in general after a good, sweaty workout.  Its a great way to push through my stress, and any frustration that I might be facing, and to come out feeling much better than I did when I went into the workout.

There's nothing like a good sweaty workout to help get you back into your training routine!

I run for the bling.  Let’s face it, having a wall of race medals in your house is pretty darn satisfying, as well as motivating to push yourself back out there to earn more bling.

medals display

Most importantly, I run because its fun.

QOTD: Why do you run?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Why Run and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Why Do You Run?

1. All great reasons. I run bc I love it. They say find something that you enjoy doing or you won’t stick with it, and that is what I found I enjoy over any other activity.

2. Great reasons! I run for the feeling of accomplishment, because it’s a great way to compete with myself, and I love the community of runners! Plus, the bling is great 🙂

3. Souzapalooza says:

Wonderful list of reasons! I run because I like to prove to myself and the world I am capable of things I thought to be impossible, for the bling, and for the fun of it (that’s why I love races but hate training!)

I run for the accomplishment, stress release, endorphins and health. I’ve always run, even if I didn’t like it, to train for sports, and when I got out of shape after college, I hated it. I hated the weight gain and the feeling of being stressed all the time.

I love this post. I run because I can and because it is a sport that I really enjoy. Not going to lie here either, I absolutely love winning AG awards and it helped alot that I aged up at the end of last year! 🙂

6. love it! I run for every reason you stated – and mostly because I can. 🙂

7. I run for bling too!! But I also run to explore, for charity, and like you said for fun!

❤ Jamaica

8. Love this. I was a dancer and certainly never thought I’d become a runner. Maybe it’s a good thing I don’t have natural turnout LOL. I definitely run because I can, because it’s something I never thought I could do, I feel strong and empowered.

All great reasons to run! I love the sense of accomplishment, becoming healthier and fitter, the community, exploring DC/other cities and noticing something new, and participating/catching up with friends!

10. Look at all of those medals!!! Congrats! Yes, running can be such great stress relief and I just love having a goal to work towards.

11. runsaltrun says:

That is one impressive bling collection! These are all such great reasons. 🙂
    I run because it makes me feel powerful and confident. I hope that I’ll be able to pass that confidence on to my daughter!

12. i think every commutes runner dad heard the words “your crazy” before. I know I have! I run for many of the same reasons as you too.

The only part non running friends comprehend is when I point out that as a mother of three running gives me time to myself.

13. Juliana says:

I run because I love it! It brings me so much joy, so much fun and it reminds me that I can do anything once I put my mind to it!

I run for my sanity. I also am very goal oriented and love the feeling of having a structured plan to execute and the feeling when you accomplish it is amazing!

15. Pingback: Inspiration from Boston | From Dancing to Running