Friday Five – November 14th – Cold Weather Running Tips

Its hard to believe how quickly its gotten cold outside!  Hearing about how much snow that areas of the country have gotten, and seeing images of sleet and snow on the DC area weather report last night makes me a little sad.  I’m not ready for winter to already be here!

Its hard to believe that on November 13th that the first snow flakes were spotted in the DC area!  Photo Credit: NBC Washington

But ready or not, winter is coming, which means that its time to start thinking about how to stay safe and healthy while running outside.  Last year, I spent too much time running on the treadmill during the winter, and I’m going to try and have as much willpower as I can this winter to not always resort to the treadmill.  Of course, there will be days when the treadmill is the safest option, in which case I’ll be relying on some of the tricks that got me through long runs on the treadmill last year.

So what can you do in order to stay safe when running outside in the cold?

cold weather running

1.  Dress in layers.

Dressing in layers will not only allow you to keep yourself properly warm, but it will also allow you to strip layers if you become too warm once you get going.

2.  Invest in a couple of thermal pieces.

Preston and I bought our first thermal running tops a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of how cold this winter is supposed to be.  Unlike regular sweatshirts, thermal running gear will still allow your body to breathe, which is especially important once you’re warmed up and starting to sweat.

3.  Keep hydrated.

Just because it isn’t warm outside doesn’t mean that you won’t be sweating.  In fact, depending upon how many layers you wear its possible that you may sweat even more than you do in the spring and fall.  The more you sweat, the more you need to replenish with water, both during as well as before and after your runs.

4.  Don’t over exert yourself.

If you’re like me then you’ll likely find your lungs working overtime to keep you moving.  Don’t overdo it, and find a balance between pushing yourself and taking it slow.

5.  Watch out for road conditions, and run during daylight hours.

The colder it is the greater the potential for encountering ice, especially black ice.  By running outside during daylight, it’ll be easier to keep your eyes out for black ice in order to avoid it.

QOTD: What tips do you have for running in colder weather?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Training and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Friday Five – November 14th – Cold Weather Running Tips

Thinking of my spring goals always keeps me motivated for the winter (more so than running in the summer into fall). Having a running buddy always helps. I’ll need to look into the thermal wear – thanks for the tips!

2. jillconyers says:

I’m not looking forward to winter running but as long as there’s no ice I’ll be hitting the streets as often as I can with my treadmill as plan B.

Great tips.

3. Thermal pieces are great!

Karen @karenlovestorun

Looks like we had very similar ideas it’s going to be so cold in Richmond this weekend. Hope we both survive our races

Definitely good ideas. The other benefit of running in daylight hours is it’s usually a little warmer and at that point I feel like every couple degrees helps!

6. Oohhh black ice sounds scary. Luckily I don’t have to worry about that here on the Gulf Coast. Stay warm this weekend!

I do find running in cold weather aggravates my sports asthma. I have to remember to use my inhaler before a run since I don’t really need it in other conditions.

8. Cold, dry air definitely makes my lungs hurt, so that’s a great reminder now to take it easy sometimes. And thanks for the link to your treadmill post! I don’t anticipate that I will be doing any speedwork on the track this winter (I don’t think it’s well-plowed) so I think I’ll be hitting the treadmill.

9. alsoranagain says:

These are great tips! One of my cold weather running tips is to wear more cushioned running shoes. Cold weather stiffens the materials in running shoes’ soles, which is harder on your feet.

10. Great tips! I know I am in MS but it has been FREEZING here this week! I don’t have that many cold weather running outfits b/c we don’t usually have this weather!

11. I can’t believe there were flurries the other night. That’s crazy! Too early for that! I make sure I always run in the daylight during winter so I know where I am stepping. Never can see slick roads at night.

12. Living in Florida, it’s hard for me to think about running in the cold! Every time I do it, it’s really hard for me to breathe because the air is just thicker when it’s cold outside.

13. araekeech says:

I need to remember number four. The cold weather means it takes longer to warm up and when its really cold can make the run feel more challenging than it truly is.