2014 Marine Corps Marathon Volunteer Recap

Sunday morning I got to experience the Marine Corps Marathon from a different perspective, as a volunteer instead of as a runner.  Because Preston and I had wanted to be a part of this incredible race, we debated for awhile about registering for the 10k.  Once I realized that it had sold out, I immediately headed to the volunteer registration page instead.

We knew that we wanted to volunteer someplace on the course, and after a short debate, decided to sign up for Food Station #2 (just before the mile 13 marker on the course), where we handed out Clif Shot gels.  We were well aware of the walk that this volunteer position would require since its on Hain’s Point, and the closest Metro station is just over two and a half miles away from the end of Hain’s Point, where the food station was.  Nonetheless, we signed up, and figured that walking over five miles that morning would be good exercise.

Sunday morning we left the house just before 6:00 a.m., and as luck would have it, we just missed a Metro train as we arrived at the station.  Due to Metro only running trains every 15-20 minutes on the weekends, we sat at the station for about 15 minutes before we were finally on our way.

We got off at the Smithsonian station around 7:15, and headed out towards Hain’s Point.  Our volunteer assignment started at 8:00.  We checked in with the Marine in charge, were given our volunteer shirts (the only sizes that were left were sizes XL and XXL – much bigger than what either Preston or I wear), and chatted for a bit with the other Marines stationed at the same table as us.  The time passed by quickly, and before we knew it the first wheelchair participants made their way through the food station at 8:14 a.m., just 34 minutes after the wheelchair start of the race!

mcm volunteer

Ready to volunteer!

Food station #2 all set up and ready to distribute Clif Shot gels to runners

Food station #2 all set up and ready to distribute Clif Shot gels to runners

Seeing the wheelchair participants was so inspiring.  Many of them were missing one or both of their legs, and the fact that they had the determination to keep moving forward was beyond words.

After the majority of the wheelchair participants had made their way to the halfway point of the course, there was a brief break before the runners started to make their way through.  It was incredible to hear the updates on the elite runners via the walkie talkie that the Marine in charge had.  As we heard each update and how much closer the elite runners were getting to mile 13, we were blown away by their speed.  And at 9:03, just 68 minutes after the race had started. the first elite runner arrived!

The lead runner at mile 13 of the race

The first place runner at mile 13 of the race

The speed of the elite runners was absolutely amazing, and quite inspiring!  After a short while, more and more runners started arriving at the food station.  And within less than an hour, there was a steady stream of runners.

We were instructed to stand on the side of the road, holding out Clif Shots, and that runners would come towards us if they wanted one.  The number of thank yous that we received was beyond countable, even from the runners who declined the Clif Shots.

With several other bloggers running this race, I tried my best to be on the lookout for many of them.  It wasn’t an easy task though, as I was constantly having to reach down to pick up more gels, and I was also trying to pay close attention to the runners who approached me in order to receive a Clif Shot.  The one blogger I did see was Pam from We Run Disney.  The only other person that I saw was an old coworker.  It was just too crowded to easily find the other runners that I had wanted to see that day.

As more runners came through, it was clear that more and more of them were starting to struggle.  I tried to encourage as many runners as I could, as did the other volunteers and Marines around me.  One Marine in particular kept encouraging runners to take the Clif Shot from him by saying “I’m holding freedom in my hand.”  As runners asked us what flavor gels we had, some volunteers joked that they had beer flavored gels, which of course got a smile and a laugh from many runners.

The one thing that disappointed me about this race had nothing to do with the organization itself (I actually thought the race was well organized, volunteer communication and directions via e-mail were very prompt and clear, and volunteers were well supported), but rather with some of the runners.  Preston and I were stationed at one of the last tables at the food station, and by the time most runners got to us they had already picked up at least one Clif Shot.  We were told that runners could receive multiple gels, but some runners wound up with handfuls of Clif Shots – so many that they couldn’t hold onto all of them.  I worried that we’d run out of gels, and that slower runners would be shafted, but fortunately there were more than enough boxes of gels, with a couple of boxes to spare.  I just don’t understand the need to be greedy, especially when there’s no way that anybody’s body could handle the number of gels that some of the runners left with.

Around 11:00, the crowd started to thin out quite a bit, and around 11:30, the last of the runners had made their way through.   We were then provided plastic gloves in order to help pick up the trash.  Although the trash sweeper truck came through and picked up most of the trash, there was still debris left that had to be picked up by hand.

By 12:00, we had finished and started the long walk back to the Metro.  On the walk back, we saw runners in the distance running over the 14th Street Bridge.  And as we neared the National Mall, we saw even more runners on the course, especially since we had to cross the course on 14th Street in order to get back to the Metro.

The more that I processed my volunteer experience, the more motivated I became to finally register for my next major race.  Only a couple of hours after getting home from volunteering, I got on the computer and pushed the registration button for my next half marathon.

QOTD: What experience(s) have motivated you to register for your next major race?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Races and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to 2014 Marine Corps Marathon Volunteer Recap

  1. Pam says:

    Thanks again for volunteering Kathryn and Preston. I actually found your comment about the runners being greedy quite interesting. The water stops I found very difficult to navigate and Tom even commented that he thought there was a lack of courtesy among the runners. At some of the water stops, runners did not grab a cup and move away quickly, but instead hugged the area by the tables. I wasted alot of time trying to get my cup of Gatorade or water.

  2. Jennifer says:

    Great volunteer recap. I would have been in a state of awe watching the Elites go by! Did most of them opt in for the Gels? Or did the fly (literally) by w/o them? That is a shame that people take more than they need (and I understand there are those who may have forgotten, but it seems like you observed more than a few). When half marathons have gel stations I am amazed at how many many gels (unopened full packets) are tossed aside up to a mile after the stop. Thanks to you and Preston for volunteering! I would love to do on course support for my next volunteer assignment.

  3. Lesley says:

    Beer gels? That’s a thought… I know Clif shot bloks come in a margarita flavor. I always try to say thank you when I’m getting water or Gatorade during a run because the volunteers are awesome!

  4. Chaitali says:

    That’s great that you guys got to volunteer for MCM, it sounds like a wonderful experience! It’s weird that some runners took so many gels that they even had problems carrying them. What were they planning to do with them?!? I’m glad there were still enough for everyone. Reading race recaps definitely makes me want to sign up for more races!

  5. Sorry to have missed you two. Well I guess it’s easy to do since its a huge race and I didn’t even take any of the clif shots. I bet volunteering for that race was just as exciting as running it.

  6. Kelly says:

    Thank you so much for volunteering at the race! I wish I could have found you – it would have been a great pick-me-up! Those miles are my favorite with the American flags and by the water. I love your recap!

  7. Sue @ This Mama Runs For Cupcakes says:

    Thanks so much for coming out, I was searching for you at that stop but never saw you :/ I’m glad you had a great time, It’s always fun to give back!

  8. Volunteering is always an amazing experience! Watching the elites is always inspiring! And shame on those runners that took too many gels! 😦

  9. Thanks SO much for volunteering!! I couldn’t remember which station you were at so didn’t know when to look for you. I don’t take gels so I remember running straight through this one 😦 glad you had a good experience though! I love volunteering and need to do it again soon!!

  10. Volunteering is so important and it sounds like guys had a good day. I’m always amazed (and also disappointed) when I see runners being greedy or selfish on the course. Wish I would have been able to see you guys while I was in town cheering for Mom. 🙂

  11. Pingback: 2014 Year in Review | From Dancing to Running

  12. Pingback: 2015 Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Recap | From Dancing to Running

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s