Half Marathon #4 Will Be…

Although I was looking forward to the training break after Army Ten Miler, I’ll share a secret with you: I’ve had a bit of race envy.  As I’ve heard about everybody’s fabulous fall races via Social Media, I’ve been itching to finalize my plans for my next major race.  And volunteering at yesterday’s Marine Corps Marathon gave me the final push to pull the trigger and register for my next big race.

This wasn’t a spur of the moment decision though.  I’ve thought long and hard about where I want to run my next major race.  I had incredible experiences at all three of my half marathons this year, but wanted #4 to be a new race.

I’ve heard nothing but fabulous things about the race that I’m registered for, and Runner’s World Magazine has rated this race as one of the country’s best half marathons.  I cannot wait to experience this race for myself.  The countdown to March 22nd is on, when I’ll be running…Shamrock Anthem Half Marathon!

shamrock

And I didn’t just register for the half marathon.  I figured if I’m going to make a trip to Virginia Beach for Shamrock Marathon weekend that I should jump completely in.  I’m registered for the Dolphin Challenge, which means that I’ll complete the TowneBank 8k on Saturday followed by the Anthem Half Marathon on Sunday.  I cannot wait to earn three pieces of bling down in Virginia Beach.  And what’s even better?  Although half marathon #3, Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach, was in the same town, the courses are completely different!  I can’t wait to experience a different part of Virginia Beach!

And if this weren’t already exciting enough, I can’t wait to share this experience with my friend Kathleen from Sister to Sister Running.  Kathleen and I have known each other since high school, and last saw each other when she and her sister were in town in April to run the Nike Women’s Half Marathon.  She is currently on a quest to run a half marathon in each state, and Shamrock will be her Virginia race.

Kathleen and I at dinner in Georgetown back in April

Kathleen and I at dinner in Georgetown back in April

I’m beyond excited about this race!  Training will officially start on November 17th, and just as with my other half marathons, I’ll be following one of Jeff Galloway’s training plans.  I’ll share more about my training plan in a future post, but for now, the excitement of having registered has me motivated to keep up with my running between now and when training officially kicks off.

QOTD: Who else will be running in Virginia Beach during Shamrock weekend?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Half Marathon #4 Will Be…

1. Woo hoo! I’ve heard great things about that race, as well. You should have some great weather during that run, too!

2. Kelly says:

woo! This is such a great race! I ran the full last year, where we run the Rock N’ Roll course for the first half and the Shamrock half course for the second. So fun! Be prepared for it to be cold and windy by the ocean!

Yayyyyy so happy you will be at Shamrock!! Glad to have my corral buddy for the Dolphin Challenge 🙂

Great choice! You will have a blast Kathryn! Christine loves the Shamrock race weekend, and we both love races in Virginia Beach.

5. Kathleen says:

I cannot wait!! This is going to be my goal race of 2015… hopefully the weather cooperates for us 🙂

6. How exciting! I’ve heard amazing things about this race!!!

What fun, and a chance to get more bling!

8. kelly says:

excited to hear about your training plans…and jealous I want to run that race! Maybe next year (2016)

9. haleyduke17 says:

Volunteering always makes me want to race. It’s like the cruelest version of torture to go watch people doing something you want to be doing. Thankfully you get to do it!! And it sounds like a great race. Virginia Beach is beautiful.

10. nice! you’ll love it. i’m debating going back to va beach (not for the full though, i’m not running a spring marathon) but i’m also debating running rock n roll dc again. choices choices! 🙂

11. jenzenator says:

Oh fun! I’ve heard this race is great with some awesome swag. Have fun!

12. Oh I love this race. It is such a great weekend. One of my favorites. Hopefully the weather will be better than it has been in the past. I have done the full the last two years. I hope do this race again but by the time I know if I can get off work the half is always sold out. Maybe I will do the full again.

13. I’ll be there doing the Dolphin Challenge too! It’s such a fun weekend!

14. Sarah says:

See you there! 🙂

15. Tracy says:

Shamrock was my first half in 2012! I’ve run the half twice and last year I did the Whale Challenge (8k + full). It can definitely get cold and windy but it’s always a fun time!

16. Stephanie says:

Woohoo! I’m doing the dolphin challenge as well. See you there!

17. Juliana says:

Awesome! I’ve heard nothing but great things about this race. Can’t wait to see how your training turns out!

18. kristenk says:

Congrats! This race looks awesome!

19. Pingback: 2014 Marine Corps Marathon Volunteer Recap | From Dancing to Running

Great choice. This is where I had my HUGE PR in the Spring. I loved the race. I’m trying to convince my hubby that we need to go down again next year…fingers crossed I’ll see you down there!

21. Pingback: November 2014 Monthly Goals | From Dancing to Running

22. Pingback: Reflecting on My Past Half Marathon Training | From Dancing to Running

23. Pingback: Current Countdowns | From Dancing to Running