Weekly Training Log – Week of October 20th

What a crazy, but good crazy, week its been!  But if life isn’t busy, then its boring, right?

With there being only one week left in the quarter at school, the end of quarter craziness was in full swing.  In addition, life has been pretty crazy at home, including having a sick dog for part of the week.  Thankfully, Riley is now feeling a lot better.

The training highlight of this past week was Saturday afternoon’s run on the trail.  Although I’m not currently preparing for a race, it was too nice of an afternoon to not get out for a run.  The nice weather helped me to push myself on a hilly trail, and my legs definitely felt it afterwards!

trail run

To cap off a crazy week, Preston and I volunteered at the Marine Corps Marathon yesterday.  While he volunteered at Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach back in August, I hadn’t volunteered at a race since last year’s Army Ten Miler.  I loved being able to cheer runners on as they passed through the food station that we were stationed at.  Seeing over 27,000 runners pass by was so inspirational, and gave me the final push I needed to register for my next half marathon. Be sure to come back tomorrow for the big announcement about which race I’ll run my fourth half marathon at!

mcm volunteer

Preston and I at food station #2, just before mile 13 on the Marine Corps Marathon course

Despite how busy this past week was, I kept up with my workouts.  Although I took things a bit easy two weeks ago, I definitely stepped things up this past week.

Mon 10/20 – Rest day

Tues 10/21 – 35 minutes on the elliptical, legs, glutes, abs

Wed 10/22 – Rest day

Thurs 10/23 – 3.02 mile run around the neighborhood, 0.24 mile cool down walk

Fri 10/24 – Rest day

Sat 10/25 – 4.02 mile run on the Cub Run Stream Valley Trail, 1.13 mile cool down walk

Sun 10/26 – Volunteered at the Marine Corps Marathon, 5.25 mile walk to/from the Smithsonian Metro and Hain’s Point, 15 minutes of yoga

Total Weekly Mileage – 17.07 miles

QOTD: Have you volunteered at a race?  What was your volunteer experience like?

This entry was posted in Training and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Weekly Training Log – Week of October 20th

1. jillconyers says:

I’ve never volunteered for a race but I’ve spectated and paced races for my husband. I think it would be fun to volunteer.

2. Thank you for volunteering!! I missed you it was crazy crowded but such a great day!

Thanks for volunteering! I look forward to your announcement!

4. Great job this week! That trail looks beautiful! And I love volunteering at races! So fun!

That’s awesome that you volunteered at the race! I’ve volunteered at 2 this year and they were very different. One was the Nike Women’s Half so big, well run and efficient, and lots of funds. The other was a local 50k in Montgomery County that wasn’t quite as well run, only a couple hundred runners, and not a lot of resources. Both were rewarding in their own way and it was interesting to have such different experiences.

6. Oh man I had no idea you two were volunteering. Sorry I missed see you guys. It was such a great race. Couldn’t ask for a more beautiful day.

Great job training this week. I’m starting to pick things up too. We’re coming up on the holidays and I need to make room for those calories.

8. i haven’t volunteered but spectated yesterday and it was so fun to be out there cheering on runners!

9. Katrina says:

I would LOVE to volunteer for MCM, best race ever!

10. I’ve never volunteered for a race, but I think that’d be a great way to participate in the fun without all the running! I wanted to sign up to volunteer for a Disney race, but you have to pay to do that…not sure whether or not to do it.

11. jenzenator says:

I have volunteered at a local half and LOVED it! It was such a fun experience to be on that side of the race. MCM would be a great one to volunteer at. Fun!

12. I haven’t volunteered at a race yet as I always seem to be IN them. Hope the Rilester is doing better! And what a gorgeous picture from your trail run! Don’t see anything like that around these parts – too many darn hurricanes!

Still catching up on my reading after MCM. Thanks for volunteering and the shout out. It was such a busy crowded course, I’m shocked you actually saw me! So glad the pup is feeling better. I always feel so bad when my little Lulu is sick. Nice job on your workouts too…you did alot of walking on Sunday!

14. I love volunteering! Thanks for coming down to MCM. I looked for you everywhere and didn’t see you, so bummed!