My Remaining 2014 Races

I had originally planned to share my Army Ten Miler recap with all of you today, but I’m finding myself struggling to put into words all of the emotions that I experienced that day.  Instead of rushing to slap a recap together, I’d rather take some time this weekend to work on it.

The Army Ten Miler was my 13th race of 2014, which puts me only one race away from reaching my big 2014 goal: to complete 14 races in 2014.

Originally race #14 was going to be another repeat race: the Veteran’s Day 5k that benefits Team RWB, the veteran’s organization that Preston and I both belong to (its an organization for both veterans and their loved ones).  However, we’re now going to be out of town the weekend of the race.  I’m sure it’ll be held in future years, and I’ll eventually be able to rerun that race again.

However, it now looks like I’ll actually surpass my 14 in 2014 goal, and will cross the finish line of 15 races this year.  With Army Ten Miler being race #13, I’d like to officially announce what races 14 and 15 will be:

Race #14: City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Turkey Trot

Preston and I will be visiting my family in Illinois for Thanksgiving this year.  We’ll kick off Thanksgiving morning with a three mile race through a local park.  My parents plan to complete the walk option of the trot.  You may recall that they joined us at Disney World back in January for my first half marathon, and I can’t wait to share another race experience with them.

Celebrating the completion of my first half marathon with Mom and Dad

Celebrating the completion of my first half marathon with Mom and Dad

Race #15: Christmas Town Dash 8k

The weekend after Thanksgiving Preston and I are planning to head to Williamsburg.  For a couple of years we’ve been wanting to visit Busch Gardens during their annual Christmas Town celebration, and we thought that running the 8k would be a great addition to a weekend there.  This will be my first 8k race, and although the course is advertised as being quite hilly, it’ll be an instant PR.  I’ve already started working on my costume, and I can’t wait to share the finished product with all of you!

CTD8K_generic_mirror

And there you have it: my final two races of 2014.  I’ve already started plotting out possible races for 2015, and can’t wait to start finalizing which races will definitely be on my 2015 race calendar!

QOTD: What will be your final race(s) of 2014?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to My Remaining 2014 Races

Nice selection – I love that your parents will participate in the Turkey Trot with you and Preston. I am actually quite excited for the holiday season (I know still a bit early), but its fun to see everyone in festive costumes for the Christmas races 🙂 Williamsburg should be fun at that time of year 🙂

2. I was going to run the Christmas town dash w a friend last year but it got canceled due to weather and we couldn’t make the rescheduled date. That looks like a fun race! I hope tosome type of turkey trot as well for Thanksgiving to help compensate all the food I will be eating later in the day:)

3. Those sound like great races Kathryn! I love that you will get to do another one with your parents!

There’s a 5k in town benefiting the rescue shelter I got my cat from. It’s at a local park I’ve run through before and I could turn it into a Christmas theme since it’s in December.

5. Kathleen says:

Lauren and I were going to do the Turkey Trot last year until I realized it was more of a “fun run’ than anything else– not that there is anything wrong with that! Just don’t expect any sort of timing (I believe there is a clock at the start and finish– so just use your own device) or any frills. We really wanted to do a Thanksgiving run in Peoria, but our parents were against it last year so I’m sure they’ll be against it this year…haha. I have a big training week that week, so I think I’ll just do my 45 minute run around town that day 🙂

• We’re actually looking forward to it being a fun run since we won’t get into town until the night before and we’ll probably be exhausted from working all day and then traveling. If you change your mind and decide to do the Turkey Trot, let me know! Would love to see you multiple times that weekend!

6. kittenmeari says:

My first race ever was the Christmas Town Dash. It’s on my birthday. I’m doing it again this year, the day before I turn 40! (then coming back to visit the park after it opens that day)

7. awesome! i have 2 5ks plus the marathon. and potentially the NYE 4 miler put on by PR Running. 🙂

I think my final race of 2014 will be the Jingle all the Way 5K put on by Pacers! It was so fun last year, I’ve got to do it again!

9. Juliana says:

Awesome selection! I have quite a few races to round out my 14 races and will end up with 15 as well! Wine and dine half, avengers half, turkey trot (a 5k and 10k), christmas 10k run!