Friday Five – October 3rd – Sources of Inspiration

Even though running is very much an individual sport, it takes a community to help one another stay motivated and focused on our training.  For me, I turn to a number of sources for my inspiration.

1.  Social media

One of my recent accomplishments that I shared on my blog Facebook page

One of my recent accomplishments that I shared on my blog Facebook page

One of the things that I love about social media is the ability to quickly share our accomplishments with one another.  I love being able to not only celebrate my fellow runners’ achievements, but those milestones also help inspire me to push myself that much more.

2.  Honest blog posts

I absolutely love reading training and race recaps that truly depict a runner’s ability to face and overcome obstacles.  Every runner is going to face obstacles in their training, and I prefer to follow blogs written by those who share all aspects of their running – both the good and the bad.  At one point or another, we all have bad runs and face training difficulties, and reading a blog written by somebody who only wants to share the good that happens with their running is choosing to only share a glorified story of their running, which to me, isn’t inspirational at all.

3.  Biggest Loser contestants who have successfully transformed their lives

I have been a huge fan of the Biggest Loser since its earliest seasons.  And while witnessing the physical and mental transformations that many of the contestants go through is inspirational in and of itself, hearing the follow up stories about those who have successfully kept the weight off and are maintaining a healthier lifestyle than they did before they went on the show are just one of the many reasons why I will continue to watch this show.

4.  Those who can’t run

For various reasons, not everybody is able to run.  Some face physical disabilities that prevent them from running, while others face health obstacles that barricade them from running.  I’m beyond blessed to have the ability to run, and remind myself of that on a regular basis.

5.  Preston’s successes, especially in running his first marathon and then a year later completing the Dopey Challenge

Celebrating Prestons conclusion of the Dopey Challenge back in January after he crossed the finish line of the Disney World Marathon

Celebrating Preston’s conclusion of the Dopey Challenge back in January after he crossed the finish line of the Disney World Marathon

Preston’s completion of the Disney World Marathon in January 2013 was my initial inspiration to start running.  His running accomplishments continue to impress, amaze, and inspire me.  Although he plans to take a short break from racing after next weekend’s Army Ten Miler, I will continue to use his successes to help fuel my motivation to push myself as hard as I can.

QOTD: What are your sources of inspiration?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Friday Five – October 3rd – Sources of Inspiration

1. christyruns says:

I love the social media for inspiration too, and I am pretty competitive with myself that keeps me moving. My kids inspire me also

2. Social media is quite the inspiration everyday isn’t it? I love to read about others’ accomplishments.

3. Social media is one of my biggest inspirations too. I love sharing and reading about others struggles and accomplishments. And The Biggest Loser is one of my favorite shows…and races! 🙂

4. I agree! Watching the Biggest Loser is very inspiring. If they can do that, anyone can. I have been a big fan in the earlier seasons and have even met some people from there, including Kim Lyons (former coach for the Red Team).

5. RunStretchGo says:

Totally agree with all of your items, and I’d add my friends and fmsill who have emerged stronger and more focused on achieving their goals after tough situations or injuries. Most recently, I’m inspired every day by my BeachBody Challengers. They are incredible, work hard, and honest. I love it.

6. Totally agree about social media and honest blogs. I’ve also found that social media has been a great tool in holding myself accountable when it comes to achieving my goals. Once I put it out there I am more inclined to not give up. Also, I have quit following several blogs because I felt like there was too much “fluff” and they weren’t “raw”. It isn’t that I want to see other runners fail at all. It is that I want to see that they are human too. When bloggers are honest it makes my setbacks seem more ok and normal.

7. Love what you said about honest blogs — they are SO inspirational to me! I sometimes second guess myself when it comes to sharing all of those ridiculously personal thoughts that go through my mind when I’m struggling through a long training run or hitting the wall in a race — and, let’s face it, there’s a fair share of unladylike talk on my blog when it comes to the oh-so-fun physical aspects of running long distances, haha. But I’m like you — I love to connect with runners who are honest and share the good and the bad. It sometimes just helps to know that I’m not alone!

8. MB says:

I love the social media interaction as well- instant spark!

9. Wonderful! I think it’s great that social media serves as an inspiration to a lot of us. Always the negative nellies, but never would’ve thought I’d get so much support and drive from people I’ve never even met!

10. great list, kathryn. i’m inspired by SO many amazing people in our running world 🙂

I would have to agree with your list Kathryn! I also love watching the Biggest Loser transformations (I just started watching last year). I am also a fan of the Extreme Weight Loss Makeover with Chris and Heidi Powell – all the journeys are remarkable!

Great inspirations! I definitely agree about the honest blog posts. It’s nice to hear from people who have faced similar struggles.

13. jillconyers says:

Great inspiration! Social media is my go to for inspiration second only to my husband.

14. Pingback: My Favorite Friday Five Posts | From Dancing to Running