My Goals for Saturday’s Dulles Day 10k

Saturday morning I’ll be running my first 10k in eight months.  My 10k PR is 51 weeks old, so a new PR is long overdue!

dulles day

I’m very hopeful about completing Saturday’s race in record time for me.  Because the Dulles Day 10k course is on the runway at Dulles Airport, the course is super flat.  Last year I ran the Dulles Day 5k (there wasn’t a 10k option), and loved the race!  It was an absolutely incredible experience to run on the runway, and I cannot wait to have a similar experience this year.

Around mile 2.5 of last year's race Photo Credit: Potomac River Running

Around mile 2.5 of last year’s race (I’m in the black shirt)
Photo Credit: Potomac River Running

Mornings this week have been on the cooler side, and I’m hopeful that the weather will be the same way Saturday morning.  I did a lot of hill training and speed work this summer while training for Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach, and I cannot wait to see just how fast I can push myself Saturday morning.

As always, I have three goals for the race:

Goal A – Finish the race in under 1:08:02 (10:57 pace) – the pace I completed Sunday’s last long run at

Goal B – Finish the race in under 1:10:17 (11:19 pace) – my current 10k PR which I set at the Perfect 10 10k last September

Goal C – Finish the race in under 1:11:09 (11:27 pace) – my Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach pace

QOTD: What is the most unique race course you’ve ever run on?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to My Goals for Saturday’s Dulles Day 10k

1. Simone says:

My 10k PR was set last May & I don’t think I’ll break it this weekend. I’m running the first of 3 “bridge series.” Basically Houston has these smaller towns closer to the Gulf with huge bridges so ships can get in/out. It’s quite the opposite of a flat runway, but it’s pretty unique in that all 3 you have to run a massive bridge. Good luck this weekend!

2. What a neat course! Good luck reaching your goal.

Good luck this weekend, I am sure you will have a fantastic run! I will be out of town attending a bridal shower. The 10K is one distance I would like to run more of next year (hopefully Dulles Day 🙂 )

4. Running on a runway sounds so fun! Good luck girl! I know you will do great! The most unique place I’ve run….probably this last weekend on the Talladega Superspeedway!

5. Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do great after all that hill + speed work you did over the summer (plus some hopefully cooler temps this weekend too). My first 5K was actually the Airport 5K in Rochester, NY way back in 2010! Though an airport tarmac isn’t the most scenic, it’s flat and fun.

6. Larissa says:

Those goals are great! Right around where I would be I think. Have a fantastic race!

7. FLRunnerBoy says:

Best wishes!! You can do it!!!

8. i think you will absolutely run a huge PR — good luck!

I need to run this race some year, I’m dying to run on the tarmac!

10. samtravels20 says:

Answer: I ran the JFK Runway 5K April 2013 as my first 5K ever. I had started the C25K in January and was stoked. So much fun running while planes are taxiing and landing/taking off!

11. Pingback: 2014 Dulles Day 10k on the Runway Recap | From Dancing to Running