My Goals for Sunday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon

Its a bit surreal to think that at this time next week I will have run my third half marathon.  A year ago, I was just getting ready to start training for my first half marathon.  What a year its been!

Preston and I before the start of last year's race

Preston and I before the start of last year’s race

I’ve been looking forward to running Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach ever since Preston ran it last year.  I ran the 5k, and loved finishing the race on the boardwalk with the ocean as the finish line backdrop.  While it will likely be hot and humid Sunday morning during the race, like it was last year, the course is extremely flat.  Because I’ve been doing a lot of hill training this summer, I’m hopeful that it’ll pay off for me on race day and will help me push myself that much faster on the flat course.

The course elevation chart

The course elevation chart

I’ll admit, I’m going into Sunday’s race with very ambitious goals.  When I won the Pacebands giveaway that We Run Disney hosted, I debated for awhile which band to order, but ultimately decided that I should push myself on race day since my training has been going really well this summer.

Goal A – Finish the race in under 2:30:00 (11:27 pace)

Goal B – Finish the race in under 2:37:30 (12:01 pace)

Goal C – Finish the race in under 2:45:00 (12:35 pace)

Meeting any of these three goals would allow me to also PR, since my current half marathon PR from Rock ‘n’ Roll USA is 2:55:26 (13:24 pace).  I’m very optimistic about not only meeting one of my three goals but also crushing my PR.  Given that I ran the Leesburg 20k two weeks ago in 2:25:47 (11:44 pace), I’d say setting a new PR this weekend is very likely to happen, especially given how hilly of a course I ran on in Leesburg.

I know several bloggers will also be running the race this weekend, and I’m hoping to see as many as possible throughout the weekend.  And anybody who is running should keep their eyes out for Preston at the start line, as he’s volunteering there instead of running the race this year!

QOTD: Do you push yourself to reach ambitious goals, or do you play it safe with your goal setting?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to My Goals for Sunday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon

1. Woohoo! Great goals! Given that your training has been going so well, you’ve got this in the bag. Look forward to seeing you guys around this weekend. 🙂

2. Kathleen says:

I knew it! You’ve got this!! Just make sure you don’t go out of the gate too fast to start with and you’ll be fine. It was super hot at my race last weekend, so just make sure you stay cool at each water stop 🙂

3. jillconyers says:

It all depends with goals. I probably lean more to the conservative side of goal setting. You’re going to rock the 13.1! Can’t wait to hear all about it!

4. Awesome goals!!! I always tend to make my goals a bit more ambitious than I should but not outside the realm of possibility. You’ll do awesome at the race, I have heard the Rock’n’Roll series is a blast!

5. You are so going to rock this (no pun intended). 🙂 I think your goals are more than attainable, especially that 2:30! Good luck and kick that asphalt! 🙂

6. Kristen says:

Terrific goals! We can celebrate your new PR at the Hard Times Fairfax Teacher HH on the 5th!

Wow, it looks like you’re really set to crush your previous PR! I hope you guys have a great time this weekend 🙂

8. You’re going to ROCK that race girl!!! I have no doubts you will PR! Have fun and I can’t wait to read all about it!!!

9. LilMysNinja says:

You got this! I’m running VA Beach too!! 🙂

10. Your “A” goal is my goal for RNR Vegas which I am hopeful I can do since my training run PR is 2:20, but that was last summer and a lot has changed since then ( and not for the better,,haha). I know I will not PR at VA Beach this weekend due to injuries and I know it will be SO hot. Which corral r u in? I’ll be looking for you. Give us a shout when you are at expo!

11. Good luck!!! I PRed at RnR VB last year, so I’m sending good vibes for you this year :). I’m really sad I had to drop out this year, but hope you have a fantastic time!!

Just a suggestion…you may want to bring water with you. I STRGGULED from mile 6.5-9 because of lack of shade and water–soooooo so hot. My PR would have been AWESOME were it not for that mistake I made in not bringing my handheld water bottle.

12. Great goals! Have fun and good luck! 🙂

13. You’ve totally got this, Kathryn! Enjoy that course – it sounds like a gorgeous finish. Your hard work and dedication is so inspiring!!! 🙂

14. Good luck this weekend!!!

15. jenzenator says:

Excellent goals! GOOD LUCK! Go get ’em!

Good luck!!! So excited for you 🙂 You’ve had amazing training runs I think you are going to def Rock VA! Look forward to updates this weekend.

17. I have no doubt that you are gonna PR in a huge way! Have so much fun, drink tons of water and look out for Mar! 🙂

18. Pingback: Friday Five – August 29th – Fall Race Preview | From Dancing to Running

19. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 18 | From Dancing to Running

20. Pingback: 2014 Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Recap | From Dancing to Running