Friday Five – August 22nd – Five Things I Love About Cooking

When I first shared our Cooking Challenge with all of you a month ago, and my intention to share here on the blog, I didn’t realize how interested some of you would be!  Some of you have been very vocal about how much you’ve appreciated the recipes, and how its inspired some of you to be more adventurous with your cooking.  Some of my friends who read the blog, but don’t comment on here, have also shared with me how much they’re enjoying reading about our Cooking Challenge.  Truth be told, I never imagined I’d get the response that I have, and I’m glad that so many of you are enjoying the recipes!

There are so many things to love about cooking!

love about cooking

1.  Recipes are only guidelines.  What makes each chef, and their cooking experience, unique is the personal spin that they put on what they cook.

None of the recipes that we’ve tried or that I’ve shared here on the blog have been followed word for word from the recipe that we derived the inspiration from.  While I’ve always shared where the idea for the recipe originated (in no way am I trying to violate copyright laws or pass somebody else’s ideas off as my own), we’ve always made the new recipes that we’re trying out our own.

2.  Its all about trial and error.  Not every recipe is going to be a success.

Tuesday evening, looks were deceiving, as the stuffed clams we made didn't taste as great as they looked

Tuesday evening looks were deceiving, as the stuffed clams we made didn’t taste as great as they looked

This week Preston and I took a stab at making Stuffed Clams.  While it looked good when we pulled it out of the oven, it didn’t appeal to either of our taste buds (and thus, I won’t be sharing this recipe with all of you).  Given that this is the first recipe over the past month that we haven’t liked, I’d say we’re doing pretty well!

3.  Its something that Preston and I enjoy doing together.

Preston and I at a sushi class at Sur La Table in 2012

Preston and I at a sushi class at Sur La Table in 2012

Cooking is one of the many common interests that Preston and I have.  Who doesn’t enjoy doing something they like with their significant other?

4.  Its fun!

I absolutely love trying out new recipes, and then getting to taste the results of our hard work.

5.  Cooking at home is usually healthier than eating out.

limefiestachickensalad2

Its imperative that runners, and all athletes for that matter, fuel their bodies with nutritious food.  Although eating out is convenient, and sometimes a treat, we don’t know exactly what ingredients are being used to cook our meals.  I’m not saying that you should never eat out, but eating out several times a week isn’t the healthiest (or cheapest) option.

QOTD: Why do you love to cook?  If you don’t like to cook, why not?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Food and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Friday Five – August 22nd – Five Things I Love About Cooking

1. jillconyers says:

I always prefer to eat at home! Lots of trial and error LOL!

Have a wonderful weekend Kathryn 🙂

2. Farrah says:

All very good points! I save so much in terms of my wallet and my health by not going out to eat! 😛

3. I love cooking as well. By cooking at home you decide what goes in your recipes so it is much healthier. Besides, you can beat the great leftovers.

4. Coco says:

What a great topic! I definitely prefer to cook and eat at home, but I still hate meal planning!

Ahh too bad about the clams – they do look good 🙂 The nice thing about cooking is you have control of what ingredients or substitutes you can put into the recipe. I feel better about eating my banana bread vs. one loaded with sugars from the bakery or starbucks (but still good haha).

6. haleyduke17 says:

You guys make some beautiful creations. Even those clams look really pretty, even if they didn’t taste good. I can prepare some tasty recipes, but they never look that good. lol

7. I agree that cooking at home is healthier! I love homecooked meals! But I’m not a cook. I don’t enjoy it and I’m not very good at it. My hubby does the cooking in our house and I clean the dishes! It works great for us!

8. I love cooking and coming up with fun new ways to prepare my favorite foods. Now that I started a Meatless Monday link up I’m on the hunt for new recipes.

9. i love that picture of you guys at your cooking class. so cute 🙂

10. thefitpepper says:

There’s so much I love about this post! Great job! It’s a struggle for me to remember that sometimes recipes fail (or I fail at the recipe)! I’ve always wanted to do a Sur la Table cooking class! Definitely looking in to that more, too! Thanks for showing how fun it is!

11. Amalia says:

I love the trial and error part of this post especially – I wish my fiance and I could share our kitchen (it’s too small) but its nice that our home is open concept so we can still have conversations. I’m a relatively new cook, so I am starting to understand when he orders pizza after trying a bite sometimes – but I’m getting better! Learning to love the process for sure.

12. love it! I wish I was better about cooking – I’ve become so lazy about it!

My hubby and I used to cook all of the time and get really creative before we had kids. Unfortunately that’s gone out the window since our kids aren’t that adventurous when it comes to food. Hopefully someday we will be foodie chefs again 😉