Friday Five – August 8th – Race Memories

Anybody that knows me well knows that I’m extremely sentimental and love taking lots of photos to capture every major event.  Every month or so I love spending time looking back at old photos and reliving all of the wonderful things that I’ve gotten to experience throughout my life.  So when I found out that this week’s Friday Five theme with the DC Trifecta is Race Memories, I was extremely excited and immediately turned to reliving my races through photos and all of the recaps that I’ve written here on the blog.

So what are my top five race memories?  It was difficult to narrow the list down to just five, but in almost no particular order (my number 1 is definitely at the top of my list!), I present you with my top five race memories!

5.  2013 Dulles Day 5k

dullesday

How many people can say that they’ve gotten to run on an airport runway?  I’m so excited to run on the Dulles Airport runway again next month, and for double the distance this time since a 10k option was added this year!

4.  2014 Disney World 10k

One of the many great things about blogging is being able to interact with so many other bloggers and being able to support one another online.  Prior to Disney World Marathon Weekend, I hadn’t met any bloggers in person, so you can imagine how excited I was to meet both Heather from Through Heather’s Looking Glass and Kimberley from Maker Mother Marathon Runner in the middle of my first runDisney race!

3.  2013 Army Ten Miler

armytenmiler

Okay, so I volunteered at this race and didn’t run it, but that doesn’t mean that this race doesn’t hold any less meaning in my heart.  Volunteering at the finish line and congratulating the wounded warriors as they completed the race was an experience that I’ll never forget.  Their enthusiasm and joy for racing was evident, and gave me the encouragement that I needed as a newer runner to be able to go out and conquer whatever I put my mind to.

2.  2014 Rock ‘n’ Roll USA Half Marathon

postracernr

You may recall that I ran this race just two weeks after spending the night in the hospital due to my TIA earlier this year.  To date, this race was the most mentally and physically challenging race that I’ve completed.  If it weren’t for Preston and my friend Kristen texting me during the second half of the race and providing me with the support I needed, I’m not sure that I would have made it to the finish line.

1.  2014 Disney World Half Marathon

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon! Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon!
Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

For those of you who have been reading for awhile now, my number one race memory should be of no surprise.  I will never forget crossing the finish line of my first half marathon with Preston by my side.

The past year and a half of running has been filled with so many great memories, and I cannot wait to see what race memories lie ahead!

QOTD: What is your favorite race memory?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Friday Five – August 8th – Race Memories

1. Beautiful moments! Thank you for sharing!

2. Coco says:

Love these! The Dulles event has no appeal to me because all I can think of is how hot and sunny it could be — I am such a wimp that way!

3. Finishing my first half marathon is certainly #1, but another cool race memory was running the Daytona Beach Half this year. You start out in the Daytona International Speedway and actually run the track! It was pretty cool to get to run up that really steep embankment (if you wanted to) and just see the track from the driver’s perspective. We also finished the race on the finish line of the track, so that was pretty cool!

4. Yay! was so great to meet you, then run into you again at DHS!

5. Katrina says:

One day we’ll meet – I love looking back at old Disney race photos!

6. Aww I love looking at these pictures! What great race memories!!!

7. Finishing my first half in 2007 is one of my favorites…as well as crossing the finish line for the Chicago marathon with my sister in 2012, and having my daughter run me in to the finish for the Fox Valley Marathon in 2013! My husband and I will be crossing the finish line for the half this year, and its his first so I can’t wait!

8. That’s great that Preston was right there by your side for your first half. I don’t remember my first half very much since it was many years ago, but I do remember my first full which was at Disney World as well. It’s such a great place for first timers.-L

Great list! I love that photo of you guys crossing the finish line together 🙂

10. Volunteering at races does count and it’s on my list too! Some of my most meaningful memories have been as a volunteer. Haven’t done the Dulles day yet it’s on the list for sure #FridayFive

11. AWww I love that pic of you and Preston crossing together! I love runnign with my husband 🙂
    So cool you included a volunteer race–that looks like a very moving/emotinal race to be a part of.

All great memories, and I love that one of them you were volunteering in! Volunteering is really a fun time and great way to give back! I love that you finished your half marathon with your hubby too! Fun!

13. Fantastic race memories. You should be proud. Love the photos !

14. Kat says:

There is a race that runs on one of Chicago’s O’Hare runways! I understand your excitement, it was pretty awesome. O’Hare dropped the 10k this year, which I was a little bummed about, but at the same time, it was a mess last year. It was a double loop of the 5K… on my second loop the 5K fun run people were just…standing. In my way. Ah well. They had fun and I still ran a pretty good obstacle course 10K.

15. that Dulles race sounds SO fun!!! I have a charity run that day I think so not sure I’m free but I definitely am gonna look into it!! I wanna run on a runway!!

16. i did kind of guess what your #1 would be 🙂 love all your pictures 🙂

Always a great photo of you/your husband! Volunteering is a wonderful race memory!

18. Love your memories!!! This also reminds me that I need to find a race to volunteer at!
    🙂