What Not To Wear While Running

We’ve all read articles about and shared thoughts with others on the best fitness gear.  These suggestions help us to accomplish and/or avoid any number of things while we’re working out: chafing, overheating, drowning in our own sweat, etc.  Once we’ve developed our own fitness wardrobes, its difficult to fathom working out in anything else.

During my long run this past Saturday, I saw quite the array of “running” clothing.  The things I saw people wearing were too mind boggling to not share with all of you.  Let’s just say that witnessing people wearing each of the below items had me pondering for much of my run just how these people wearing these items could possibly be comfortable, not overheating, and getting the necessary foot support in order to prevent injury.

what not to wear

Based on what I witnessed during Saturday’s run, I present all of you with my list of the top five things not to wear while running:

5.  A Dress
4.  Jeans
3.  Velour pants
2.  Plaid Button Down Shirt
1.  TOMS shoes

The TOMS especially baffled me.  Where is the support?  I really hope the person I saw wearing TOMS wasn’t injured by the end of their run!

QOTD: What is one item on your “not to wear while running” list?

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to What Not To Wear While Running

1. STOP IT! How can you possibly run in TOMS? I think the only thing worse than that would be flip flops!

2. “Jorts” (homemade denim shorts)

3. I see a lot of people who are dressed “inappropriately” on the trail I run on. They are mostly just power walking so maybe that’s okay, but still I would think sport shorts would be better than jean shorts.

4. Curlers. Seriously. Combined with the velour sweat suit. But at least she was moving!

I can’t believe you saw someone running in a dress and someone running in jeans! Hopefully they were just running for the bus or something. I have seen people running in polo shirts which always baffles me.

6. gtaylor07 says:

Haha! I laugh just picturing people running in those items. At the beach I saw someone running in Crocs. It made me hurt just to watch.

7. SuzLyfe says:

An underwire bra. Only. YEAAAHHHHH

LOL, that’s funny. We have an old lady that runs every morning in her khaki pants and midriff button down shirt and a pair of new balance from like 40 years ago and with full on makeup. But she’s so darn cute and out there every.freaking.day. She’s about 80 years old.

9. etueller says:

Wow! My feet hurt just thinking about running in TOMS.

10. kristenk says:

Omg what! How are any of those possible?!?! Running in jeans would kill me! I actually just saw a guy at the 5K I ran last weekend who was wearing a polo shirt. Like a nice one. He was wearing running shorts so I had no idea why he chose to wear a polo too!

11. there used to be a “running in jeans” blog out there somewhere. it was hilarious — captured people running in jeans on treadmill at the gym. so crazy!

12. All of those things for running = bananas! I love my TOMS, but don’t wear them for running. And jeans? All I can imagine is the chaffing. Ouch. Something people wear that baffles me: cotton shirts. Ugh – so uncomfortable (especially for someone like me who sweats A LOT, no matter the temperature). I know that’s not a crazy thing to be wearing, but not something I would suggest.