Persistence and Hard Work Will Pay Off…The Story of My Sub-31 Minute 5k

For several weeks now, I’ve been pushing myself to increase my running speed, particularly during my weekday runs.  With my weekend runs focused on distance, I’ve been trying to push myself as hard as possible to run a sub-31 minute 5k during my twice a week weekday runs.  While this may not seem speedy to some, I’ve been struggling to run below a 10:00 minute per mile pace, and pushing myself to run a sub-31 minute 5k seemed like a realistic goal given that my training plan calls for weekday runs to be around 30 minutes.

Some days, I’ve stepped onto the treadmill with a very positive mindset, telling myself that I could conquer this goal.  On those days, I pushed myself as hard as I could, and focused on telling myself that I could complete my run with only a single one minute walk break.  On several days, I came very close to breaking 31 minutes.

My fastest run prior to Tuesday evening was at a steady 10:00 minute/mile pace

My fastest run prior to Tuesday evening was at a steady 10:00 minute/mile pace

Some days, I’ve stepped onto the treadmill completely exhausted, knowing that the fact that I made it to the gym was an accomplishment in and of itself.  On those days, speed hasn’t been my focus, but rather just completing a 30 minute run has been my immediate focus and goal.

On Tuesday when I stepped onto the treadmill, I felt incredibly confident that it was the day that I would push myself to complete a sub-31 minute 5k.  As I neared the 1.55 mile mark, which is usually around when I take my one minute walk break, I felt really good and felt as though I could push myself to not have to walk.  I kept telling myself that I could do it.

And I did it.

sub-31 min 5k

Not only did I conquer my goal on Tuesday, but I crushed it!

I know that running is 90% mental and 10% physical, and Tuesday evening’s run proved just that.  I continuously told myself that I could push myself to not have to walk, and I did exactly that.  As my run continued on, I slowly increased the speed on the treadmill to a speed that I used to only be able to sprint at.

mental

Tuesday evening’s run is evidence that my persistence and hard work is paying off.  Going forward, I’ll be reminding myself of the milestone that I reached on Tuesday as I push myself to become an even faster runner.

QOTD: What recent milestones have you reached?

This entry was posted in Milestones, Motivation and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Persistence and Hard Work Will Pay Off…The Story of My Sub-31 Minute 5k

You’ve been working so hard (inside and outside the gym)- so happy for you Kathryn!

Yay, that’s awesome! That’s such an impressive milestone you’ve hit. I had been working on a 5k under 40 minutes. Currently I’m back to working on increasing distance but am trying to do my weekday run without the walk breaks too. I can currently do around 2 miles without a walk break so hopefully I’ll get to 3 miles some day 🙂

3. Awesome-sauce girlfriend! Like you, I’ve been fighting to get that average mile into the 9’s consistently. It’s so nice to see that single digit, isn’t it?

4. Congratulations! To be able to push yourself like that on a treadmill (and not actually running a race) shows that you could DEFINITELY bust the 31 minute mark in a race too! I’ll be trying to bust the 30 minute 5k this Sunday!

5. irenejean says:

Congrats on breaking 31! I’ll be running 10 miles this weekend, and it’ll be my first double digit run since my half marathon in April and subsequent hip injury. Hoping the hips continues to feel good and the 10 miles don’t hurt too bad!

6. runsaltrun says:

Such amazing progress! PRs are the best…they keep us going and pushing on to bigger things. You are doing so great! The 20’s are in your very near future. I can feel it. 🙂

Nice job Kathryn on getting to sub 10 minute miles. I do think running has a huge mental aspect, but summer heat and humidity will also factor into the ability to go fast. By fall you will be looking at 9:15 pace!

8. So awesome girl! Congratulations!!!

9. Juliana says:

awesome! congrats!! I am working towards the same goal so it definitely motivates me to keep pushing!
    I also have a second goal of running a 5k nonstop in a race so I need to work up to that as well!

I’ve been super stressed with work so Im hoping once work calms down, I can get in a good run (right now my training PR stands at 31:20 and during a race is 30:40 but I don’t count that one).

10. Running a 5k race without a walk break is also one of my goals. And I hear you about the work stress. Any stress definitely impacts our ability to train at our greatest capacity. I hope things slow down for you soon!

11. kristenk says:

Congrats! I’m working on consistently running a sub-30 5k and I know how big of a deal this is! It totally is a mental thing!

12. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 9 | From Dancing to Running

13. Pingback: 2014 Year in Review | From Dancing to Running