My Debate About My Fall Races

Over the past two weeks I’ve been in a huge debate with myself.  When I first started planning out my 2014 race calendar, I knew that my fall races would be up in the air until I knew whether or not I’d be able to get into the Army Ten Miler.  If I weren’t able to get into the ten miler, then I was thinking about registering for an October half marathon, and if I did get in, then I was thinking I’d delay running a fall half marathon until November.

Now that I know I’ll be running the Army Ten Miler on October 12th, I know that its completely unrealistic, and asking for injury, if I register for an October half marathon.  So my focus has turned to November.  The only two half marathons that have caught my attention within a reasonable driving distance of the DC area in November are the Richmond Half Marathon on November 15th, or the Philadelphia Half Marathon on November 23rd.  Neither race is really calling to me though, which is making my debate that much more drawn out.

The thought of flying to Las Vegas for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon on November 16th did cross my mind, but with Preston and I being in the midst of buying a house, we aren’t in a position to commit to a racecation this fall.  Although it looks like a fun race, Vegas just isn’t looking like a realistic option for 2014.

The other day I also thought about the idea of not registering for a fall half marathon at all.  Instead of treating the Army Ten Miler as a training run as part of training for a half marathon the following month, I could instead treat the ten miler as my big fall race.

Oh the choices!  There’s so many options to choose from, and I’m not sure what my final answer should be.  I know that part of the problem is that there’s been so much going on lately, especially with it being the end of the school year and working on all that goes into buying a house (does the paperwork ever end?!?), but I also know that I need to make a decision about the fall, especially since each month registration prices increase.

QOTD: Have you ever had a similar debate with yourself when trying to decide which race(s) to register for?

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to My Debate About My Fall Races

1. I currently am signed up for next to nothing. And I’m ok with that. But I have to say, Richmond is a really great race….

2. Irene says:

I would say only do a race you are excited about doing and moves you. If you have to force it,then it’s not worth doing. That’s how I roll. 😉

3. kathleenb85 says:

If I were you, I would sign up for something in November. I don’t even live out there, but I’ve only heard good things about Richmond :). You’ll already be trained for your 10 miler in October and you’ve said it yourself before that when you’re training for a race is when you’re really motivated to get out there and run :). I’m a little sad that I have a half in October and then nothing till Disney… but my winter/spring calendar is already pretty full, so I’m really looking forward to 2015!

• I’ve also heard great things about Richmond, which is why I’m considering it.

You’re going to be so busy preparing for Dopey, that you’ll barely notice that you aren’t running any races between October and January.

4. megztap says:

I am really fortunate that in my area there is a run on every weekend throughout the year. my problem is choosing the ones to run and the ones to skip. I get serious FOMO (fear of missing out)! If you are ever looking to run internationally, pop me a mail about South African runs – we have some great scenery and an awesome running spirit in the fellow runners 🙂

5. Seeing you in Vegas this fall would be a blast, but I understand priorities of house buying do come first.

I’ve only signed up for the races because I really wanted to do them (because of where they were or what they offered). That’s what gets me excited about them. I don’t usually go out looking for races just to get one done! If you are just looking for one “just because”, you might not feel that excited to train for it because it will just feel like work. Just my opinion. I’d just do the 10 miler as my Big race for the fall and then look for something in the Spring.
    Can’t wait to see what you decide.
    Oh, another option would be to do a virtual race in the fall too. They are inexpensive, you get cute medals, and some are actually themed. I couldn’t do the Surfin Santa with Lacey this past winter in VA beach, so we did the virtual Jingle Bell challenge together. We dressed in our christmas gear and did our run and then earned a cool medal.

6. I’m from Richmond, and the Richmond race has a great course and great crowd support! I’ve never done it, but I’ve heard great things. I’m planning to do the full Richmond Marathon in 2015!

7. RICHMOND RICHMOND RICHMOND!!! It is honestly the best.

8. I ran the Richmond half last year & it was a nice race. I went to VCU and met my husband there and also interned at The National (where the race starts) so it was a little more sentimental for me I think. It was a great race, can’t say it’s the best because we are really spoiled here in Columbus with amazing races and the best crowd support I’ve experienced ;-), but the course is nice and the crowd support is strong and I would say it’s worth it and recommend doing it!

9. Richmond was my first half three years ago. It’s a beautiful route and a lot of fun and the weather is usually pretty good. I’d be running it again this year, but I will be running the Avengers race the same weekend.

I have been in debate about what 10-miler race to run this fall. I’m running my first marathon at Walt Disney World in January and wanted to see if I can get a better coral placement. The main thing I was looking for is the elevation. Trying to get a really good time means I don’t want many hills. Also would be the distance from home (can I do morning of packet pick up or do I have to stay the night). There are also 3 10-mile races in VA on the same weekend in September. I have narrowed it down and will probably make my final decision this month. It’s hard sometimes. 🙂

10. I think I’m doing the Philly Marathon in Nov. with my mom. Haven’t registered yet because I’m scared to make that commitment right now lol hopefully it doesn’t sell out soon, because I do plan on registering by the end of the month.
    I’ve heard great things about Richmond too though! I was debating on a fall marathon a few weeks ago so I totally know how you feel – so hard to choose one!

11. 262x2 says:

I really wanted to do the Vegas Marathon (it would be my first runcation!) but sadly, I have to work. Boo! I have to keep my race schedule up in the air because of my job. 😦

I’ve heard many great things about Richmond – I am a bit biased b/c that event is on my running bucket list. As for Philly races, I think there are more “recognized” races throughout the year – LOVE Run (March), RnR Philly (September), and Philly Half (Nov). I think I may do the LOVE Run again in March if they host it again.

13. kristenk says:

Do Philly! I used to live there, it’s an awesome race 🙂 But seriously, I’ve been in your position before and have been trying to decide over a few races that didn’t really call out to me and then somehow found an awesome race that I didn’t know about before! It’s almost like once you stop looking so hard, you find something. Hopefully you find the perfect race to do. Good luck!

14. Pingback: Friday Five – June 6th – This Summer I Will… | From Dancing to Running

15. lnrbailey says:

I have to put another tick in the Richmond column. I love that one.

16. Pingback: 14 in 2014 Update | From Dancing to Running

17. Pingback: My Final Decision About What My Big Fall Race Will Be | From Dancing to Running