Friday Five – May 23rd – Five Places I’m Looking Forward to Running At

Happy long weekend everybody!  If your week has been like mine, its been long, stressful, and slow moving, and you’ve been looking forward to a day off on Monday just as much as I’ve been.

Next week is only a two day work week for me.  After work on Wednesday, we’ll be headed to the Outer Banks for my sister-in-law’s wedding next Friday.  Other than when I was home resting after my TIA earlier this year, I haven’t taken time off from work since Disney World Marathon Weekend, and I cannot wait to have a couple of days away from work.  Being at the beach will just be the icing on the cake for my couple of days off from work.

In addition to my sister-in-law’s wedding next week, I have many fun events on the calendar in the coming weeks and months, and with those events on the calendar, there’s many places I’m looking forward to running at, including:

1.  At the beach

coronado

Throwback to last August on Coronado Island

While we’re in the Outer Banks I’m looking forward to running at least once, if not twice, at the beach.  There’s something that I’ve always found calming and soothing about breathing in the fresh, salty air at the beach, and I can’t wait to enjoy the weather and scenery while also making sure that I stay on top of my training plan.

2.  Downtown DC among the monuments

wwii memorial

At the World War II Memorial back in November the morning of the St. Jude Give Thanks Walk

Although both Rock ‘n’ Roll USA and the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run courses included running among the monuments, I have yet to complete one of my long training runs downtown with the monuments as my scenery.  This summer, I want to ensure that I complete at least one of my long runs downtown instead of on one of my usual W&OD or Mt. Vernon Trail routes.

3.  In our new neighborhood

Now that we’re under contract to purchase our first house, I’m not only looking forward to the move itself, but also to discovering new running routes.  Since we’re moving about 45 minutes west of where we currently live, we’ll have a brand new area to acquaint ourselves with, and I can’t wait to explore our new neighborhood by foot.

4.  In our current neighborhood

On the W OD Trail back in February

On the W&OD Trail back in February

Until we move, which likely won’t be until mid-July, I’m looking forward to running along some of my current favorite routes.  These routes will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was on these routes that I started running last March, and have run on over the past 14 months.  I’ve conquered many fears and accomplished many goals on these routes, and they’ll always hold great meaning in my running world.

5.  On the boardwalk at Virginia Beach

I cannot wait to earn this beautiful beach themed medal at the end of my third half marathon!

As you already know, I’ll be running my third half marathon on August 31st in Virginia Beach.  The course ends on the Virginia Beach Boardwalk, and I cannot wait to conclude the last part of my 13.1 journey with the ocean as the backdrop.

QOTD: Where is one place that you are looking forward to running at in the coming weeks or months?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Friday Five – May 23rd – Five Places I’m Looking Forward to Running At

1. What fun places to be running! I am looking forward to running on the beach in California when we attend my brother-in-law’s wedding and at the track this summer with my friends

2. Great list! We need to meet up for a run before you move farther away!

I’m loving this link up of postings. Such beautiful places!

3. The beach run is always lovely and I bet running near the monuments would be too (i’ve never done it).
    Finding a new running trail in your new neighborhood is going to be fun! Keep us posted!

Great places! I LOVE Coronado…that’s where my hubby and I got engaged! You definitely need to do some long training runs downtown, it never gets old. You should join us for a run sometime!

5. I’ve never done the Va Beach RnR but I hear it’s a great race. One of these years I have to get there. Great list!

6. I love that you’re excited about running in your new neighborhood – totally awesome! 🙂 And I can’t wait to see you in Virginia Beach this summer!!

7. Love this! I moved last summer (but just a mile away) and discovered new neighborhood jaunts and am still discovering new paths and things. Love that feeling of “new” and exploration!

8. SuzLyfe says:

A great list of spots–running on the beach (especially the beaches of the east coast, and Charleston area for me in particular) is just such an experience. I can tell you from experience that running through the DC monuments is amazing (I did MCM last year). And I love to run through neighborhoods to explore them. LOVE IT. One of my favorite things to do when I go home. I’ve not yet run the boardwalk but I’ve heard good things! I have the Lake Front trail here in Chicago, but I hate running on the concrete 😦

9. Those all look like amazing places to run! I’d love to run among the monuments in DC!

10. Virginia Beach looks awesome! I’ve never run on the beach, it looks like so much fun!

11. let’s get that DC run in soon, lady!! 🙂

12. kelsnsher says:

Wow sometimes my idiot-icy sup[rises even me…I just figured out what QOTD means haha..anyway, I think you have a great list here! I love getting out to explore my own area just as much as a new one.

13. I love running at the beach! I hope I get off work for the Virginia Beach Rock n Roll this year and to see other bloggers there:) It is such a fun weekend. The new medal is so cool. I have not been to D.C. ever to run a race. The Marine Corp. is one of the races there I’d love to run!

14. I will be in Minnesota in Lake Country in July so it will be a nice change of pace but I am actually looking forward to my lunchtime run right here in San Diego!

15. I have some bucket list beach runs on my list too! Nothing more inspiring than a beautiful view!!

16. John @ run. geek. run(disney) says:

Great list. Looks like you have some good running lined up. I plan to eventually run the RnR at Va Beach. Looks great and have heard great things about it.

17. Lindsey says:

Enjoy your runs! I’m excited about running this summer on all my little road trips 🙂

18. Running among the DC monuments sounds like fun.

19. kristenk says:

I love DC – last time I visited my best friend there I ran a race that ran past the capitol and the national mall! It helps having pretty views during a race 🙂 I definitely want to run a half there someday so I can spend more time running among the monuments!

20. Jolene says:

Great list!! I can’t wait to get to the beach (next month) to run!

I’d like to get to DC as well (maybe next year) to do the MCM.

21. Runner says:

I love running through the monuments. I take it for granted that I live so close and can run there so often.

I am also running the Half at VA Beach. I have ran it the last two years and it is so great finishing a race right on the beach.

22. Momshomerun says:

Running at the beach is a great workout, but it’s also much harder because of the sand. But it is beautiful!

23. I thought about adding VA Beach to my list too – I hope to do a race there soon!

Sooo much to catch up on the past two weeks!! Congrats on your purchase and I am glad you were able to get into the ATM! I love the photo of the WWII Memorial you posted – it is one of my favorite memorials in DC. Even though I live so close to the monuments, I def do not take advantage of it as much as I should – a change this summer for sure! Have a great weekend Kathryn!

25. My 5 would be: Marathons in NYC, Chicago, Paris, London, & the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim hike.

26. I’m looking forward to running in Chicago this summer! I’m doing the ZOOMA half there, and it should be great!

You’ll love the end of the RnR VB course.,,especially when people hand you ice pops at mile 11.5/12! Still deciding if I am going to run that or not…I just love that medal!