Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 1

Its hard to believe that I’m officially back in training for a half marathon!  Week 1 of training for Virginia Beach went just as planned, and I’m very proud of the workouts that I completed.  Between house hunting, work, and being out of town over the weekend for my sister-in-law’s Bachelorette party in Philly, my schedule was jam packed, but I refused to let that cause me to sway off of my training schedule during the first week of training.

My training highlight of the week was my hill workout on Saturday.  Since I was only scheduled to run three miles, I decided to use this as an opportunity to work on running hills.  Up to this point, I haven’t been the most successful in conquering every hill that I come across, so I ran in the neighborhood near our apartment building, which has many hills and thus, multiple opportunities for me to practice running hills.  I successfully ran up all of them expect the last one.  My legs burned by the end of my run, so I’d say mission accomplished!

All in all, it was a great first week of training for half marathon #3.

Mon 4/28 – 3.10 mile treadmill run, 0.50 mile cool down walk, kettlebell squat swings, abs, glutes, arms, shoulders

Tues 4/29 – 30 minutes on the arc trainer, 0.62 mile cool down walk

Wed 4/30 – 2.92 mile treadmill run, 0.48 mile cool down walk, chest, arms, shoulders, abs

Thurs 5/1 – 30 minutes of yoga

Fri 5/2 – Rest day

Sat 5/3 – 3.65 mile hill workout

Sun 5/4 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 12.83 miles

This coming week will be just as busy.  We’re headed back up to my in-laws next weekend, and while there I’ll run my sixth race of the year.  The entire family will be running or walking at the BA5k.  I’ll discuss my goals for this race later in the week, but I’m hopeful for another great finish time since its a flat course.

With as busy as my week ahead is looking, I’m turning to Fred Devito for inspiration today and for the rest of this week.

devito quote

QOTD: Do you incorporate hill workouts into your training?

This entry was posted in RnRVB Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 1

1. I should incorporate more hills into my training 🙂 I live on Cape Cod and we don’t have too many hills. Although some races feel like we found some! I try to play with incline on the treadmill and run a “hillier” run outside when I can, but nothing formal.

Great job! I don’t deliberately incorporate hill training in my runs but there are generally hills around here and I try to make sure I power through and run up them. I’m doing the Semper Fi 5k this upcoming Saturday and I’m excited about that one. I hope you have a good week!

3. Katrina Elle says:

What a week girlie – keep it up! I’m loving the off season for me 😉

4. I wish I could! We’re a little short on major elevation changes here in south FLA! 😦 Make sure you check out my Dancing shout out! 🙂 http://blackdogrunsdisney.com/2014/05/05/you-like-me-you-really-like-me-i-think/

Nice week Kathryn! Christine and I will also be running the Virginia Beach ROck ‘n Roll race so hopefully we will see you there! There are virtually no hills where I run, which is going to be a problem with my fall Marine Corps Marathon. I need to find some!

6. Great job Kathryn! No training for me until Fall. It’s too hot here to train for long distances. But I’m still running to keep it up. I should do more hills….I hate them but always feel so accomplished when I’m done!

7. I love running hills. However, I get really angry if I race and the course is advertised as flat, but is full of hills. If I am not mentally prepared for the hills that are coming, then I get really mad.

8. So sad that we may not being doing VA Beach after all. We will still have to meet up at some race along the East coast though.

9. runawaybridalplanner says:

Great week, good luck with all your half marathon training!
    I love training hill, which is good because living in Utah you don’t really have any other choice but to run up or down a hills:)

10. runsaltrun says:

Woo hoo! Congrats on a great first week and good luck with the rest of it!
    Hills are unavoidable where I live. It’s actually a little harder for me to pace myself running on flat!

11. irenejean says:

Hills are a given where I live (Park City, UT). I love it must of the time, but sometimes I just need a flat run and wish I didn’t have to drive somewhere to get one done.

Great job sticking to your training plan with a busy week! I’ve been incorporating hills into some of my running routes, but would def like to add in some focused hill workout days.