My Goals for Saturday’s Jaguar 5k

This Saturday I’ll experience another first in my running: I’ll complete a race that I’ve previously run.  Saturday I’ll be running the Jaguar 5k, which is an annual athletics fundraiser for Falls Church High School, the school I taught at for the first five years of my teaching career.  I’m excited about visiting with several old coworkers and friends, as well as running on a course that I am familiar with.

jaguar5k

The Jaguar 5k course is relatively flat, with the exception of one steep hill about halfway through the course.  I can’t wait to run this course again, and of course, strive to finish faster than I did last year.

My current 5k race PR is actually from last year’s race, when I completed the race in 32:24 (10:26 min/mile pace).  Although I’ve been focusing on increasing my speed over the past couple of weeks, my fastest runs have been treadmill runs, which of course don’t include the added challenge of running outside.  But you know that I’m always up for a challenge, and will be pushing myself as hard as I can on Saturday.

Goal A – Finish the race in under 31:07 (10:02 pace) – my current treadmill PR

Goal B – Finish the race in under 31:51 (10:15 pace)

Goal C – Finish the race in under 32:24 (10:26 pace) – last year’s finish time

QOTD: How do you approach races that you’ve previously run?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to My Goals for Saturday’s Jaguar 5k

1. Depending on what my previous time was on a race I’ve run before, I would say my new goal would be to beat that time the following year! I hope you do well!

Good luck! That’s awesome that you get to run the same course again and also visit with old friends 🙂

3. Good luck Kathryn! I know you will crush your goal! 🙂

4. Good luck at your race this weekend! I’ve yet to run a race twice, I’d be interested to hear how your approach works on Saturday.

5. If it was a great race that I plan on repeating, I usually look and see where on the course I can make up time from the previous year. I learned my lesson and made sure to submit a start time for last year’s Wine and Dine, as I hadn’t the first time around. I ended up shaving 22 minutes of my time because of it! 🙂

6. Kristen says:

Can’t wait for Saturday’s race!! It’s always so fun to run a race with so many students, coworkers, and parents you know. I have motivation to run faster this year. For every 1 minute faster they are than me, I promised my students 1 extra credit point. The track team is going to have all As fourth quarter! 🙂

7. Chelsea says:

I’m rerunning the very first race I ever did again in May! I can’t wait to see how much faster I complete it this year- and of course to compare the finish line photos! Good luck, and here’s to hoping you set a new PR! Can’t wait to read about it!

8. Fun! It’s exciting to go back and “re-run” a race; I’d say I always just try to do a little better than I did last year. Here’s hoping you set a new PR! Sounds like a fun time. 🙂

Oh, and I nominated you for a Liebster Award! If you’re interested, all the info is here! 🙂 http://thefinalforty.com/liebster-award/

9. Good luck! You’re gonna rock it!

10. Good luck! Have a great race! I don’t run a lot of repeats, but I try not to compare the speed. I do try to use my knowledge of the course to run a smarter race.

Good luck this weekend – you are going to do great! I look forward to your recap, especially since this is your 2nd time running it!

Have a great race Kathryn. When I repeat a race, my goal could be a PR or to just have fun. In February, I ran the Princess Half for the 4th time and I planned on going slow….and it was my personal worst in the half marathon distance, but I had a blast. Hope you get goal #1, Can’t wait to read your recap!

13. Pingback: Friday Five – April 25th | From Dancing to Running

14. Denise says:

So exciting! I haven’t run a race twice (yet!) but my goal would be to beat the previous year’s time. Best of luck to you this weekend 🙂

15. Hope you met your goal yesterday! I’ve repeated two races this year, and I always want to beat the time from the year before.

16. Pingback: 2014 Jaguar 5k Recap | From Dancing to Running