Since I started running last March, the online running community has proven to be an invaluable resource and support system. As I’ve grown as a runner, I’ve relied more and more on this community. One of the most incredible things about this community though is the fact that 99% of the people that I interact with I’ve never met in person, yet I feel as though I’m able to connect and relate to them in so many different ways!
There’s so many things I love about the online running community, especially:
1. The online running community provides a network in which to bounce ideas off of one another and gain additional insights into various races and running related products. If it weren’t for the online running community, I would have never learned about the benefits of compression socks and sleeves or many of the races on my bucket list, particularly the Shamrock Anthem Half Marathon.
3. There are a variety of different networking groups runners can join, particularly on Facebook. I belong to a number, including Team #runDisney, Sweat Pink Ambassadors, and FitFluential Running. These groups not only allow me to network with other bloggers, but my membership in some of these communities has led to some opportunities, including the Spartan Race Giveaway that I recently hosted.
3. Runners support one another, regardless of where they live or how fast of a runner they are. Generally speaking, most runners are there to provide encouragement to each other, particularly when runners really need it in order to overcome an injury or another obstacle in the way of their training.
4. Twitter chats are some of the most exhilarating hours of one’s life. During these chats, runner discuss any and all aspects of running and other fitness activities. Nothing beats the excitement and fast paced weekly #RunChat every Sunday evening. On nearly everyday of the week its likely that a Twitter chat is being hosted, and these chats have fostered many of my virtual relationships with other runners.
5. Meeting virtual running friends in person for the first time is beyond exciting. I’ve had the privilege to meet some of my favorite bloggers in person, including Heather from Through Heather’s Looking Glass and Kimberley from Maker Mother Marathon Runner during Disney World Marathon Weekend. This past weekend at the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run I also met Cyanne from Run Stretch Go, Jenny from Run Jenny Run, and Christine from We Run Disney.
QOTD: What do you love about the online running community?
As always, thank you to the DC Trifecta Bloggers (Courtney from Eat Pray Run DC, Mar from Mar on the Run, and Cynthia from You Signed Up For What?!) for hosting the weekly Friday Five Link Up. Be sure to check out their posts as well!