My Goals for Sunday’s Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

cucblogo

Ever since I found out in December that my lottery entry into the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run had secured me a coveted spot in this DC spring tradition, I’ve very much been looking forward to this race.  The Cherry Blossom course is known for being one of the flattest to race in this area, and not only do I have the honor of participating in this DC tradition for the first time, but its also my first ten mile race.

You know what that means?

Guaranteed PR!

But just because I have a guaranteed PR coming my way doesn’t mean that I don’t have ambitious goals for this weekend’s race.  I completed my last ten mile training run back at the end of February, and completed it on a hilly part of the W&OD Trail in just under two hours (1:59:40 to be exact).  I have based this weekend’s race goals on that training run, knowing that the trail is much hillier than the course I’ll be running this weekend.

Goal A – Finish the race in under 1:50 (11:00 min/mile pace)

Goal B – Finish the race in under 1:55 (11:30 min/mile pace)

Goal C – Finish the race in under 2:00 (12:00 min/mile pace)

QOTD: How many different goals do you set for yourself for each race that you run?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to My Goals for Sunday’s Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

1. Kristin says:

Have fun!! My husband did that race and loved it!! I know you’ll PR and nice goals!! I like how you lay out several options!! That’s fantastic!! Me? I usually set one goal at the beginning of my training plan and another goal as the race is approaching. Usually the goal I set at the end of my training plan is more ambitious. Have a great day!! 🙂

• Part of why I set multiple goals for myself is so that if something goes wrong on race day and I can’t push myself as hard as I’d like to I won’t feel completely disappointed in not meeting a goal if I only set one for myself.

• Kristin says:

Gotcha!! 😉 I literally re-set my goal the day before the race! I have a running coach so we work together to set my goal pace mile by mile! It always works fabulously!!

Yayy for guaranteed PRs! I also use A,B, and C goals and mine are exactly the same for this weekend’s race. Perhaps I’ll see you on the course in the corral. Good luck!

3. So excited for you! I usually have a goal time in mind before the race but then know that I might have to adjust it during the race depending on how things are going ( heat, injury, etc).

Good luck! I hear this is a great race. Since I’m so new to running my goals have mostly just been to finish in a faster time than the last 5k 🙂

5. Good luck this weekend Kathryn! I hope you make your first goal! If not, at least you know you will be able to make one of them. I always have several goals as well, which make me less disappointed in the outcome!

6. I usually set an A and B goal. The A goal is the one that I train for and the B goal is a fall-back if something on race day isn’t favorable (bad or random weather, sickness, being tired, etc.). Sometimes I come up with a new goal during the race if things are going better than expected 🙂 Enjoy the race & good luck!

7. Good luck and have fun!

I usually have a goal in mind, but rarely share them, so kudos for being so brave. Running a race without a goal in mind is difficult for me because of my competitive personality, but something I am working on!

8. runsaltrun says:

Oh awesome! Congrats on getting accepted into Cherry Blossom! I’ve heard so many amazing things about it and I think your weather is going to be really beautiful for it. I usually go into a race with one or two goals, but keep them on the DL because I’m weird and superstitious. 🙂

9. C says:

Suerte, suerte, suerte!

10. i usually set A, B and C goals but since this race is just a week after my killer trail marathon my goal is to have fun. i’d like to be in the range of my PR (1:45) but i won’t kill myself if i’m not.

11. megroach says:

I’m running Cherry Blossom too. I ran my first 10 mile race last weekend and I hope I do the same or better this weekend, so getting your goal is mine too! I usually make race goals too but finishing always makes me happy!

12. kathleenb85 says:

10 milers are fun!! I’ve only done 1 but it was a great time!! Good luck!

13. Pingback: Friday Five – April 4th | From Dancing to Running

14. Kristen says:

Two goals:
    Goal A: 1:47:20 – One second faster per mile than my best 10K time.
    Goal B: 1:55:21 – New 10 miler PR – one second faster than my Reston 10 miler time last month.

I love telling people my goals – makes me accountable!

But you know the goal that is my White Whale…why is a sub 30 in the Jaguar 5K so elusive??? This year, maybe! 🙂

15. Pingback: Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run Expo…and a Pre Race Meltdown | From Dancing to Running

16. Pingback: Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run Recap | From Dancing to Running