My Goals for Saturday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll USA Half Marathon

rnrusa

Last night I completed my second run since I was discharged from the hospital.  I completed a 5k on the treadmill, and while it was no where close to my fastest run, it did boost my confidence about my ability to complete my second half marathon this weekend.

I’m going to be realistic about the Rock ‘n’ Roll USA Half Marathon though.  I am well aware that I am under trained as a result of all that’s been going on health wise.  The last time I completed a long run was two and a half weeks ago.  Unlike when I trained for my first half marathon, the Disney World Half, and I ran a complete half marathon as part of my preparation for the race, the farthest I’ve run this training cycle is 10 miles.  The last time I ran anything further than that was the day of my first half marathon.

When we met with the neurologist on Monday, he was very encouraging of me running the race this weekend.  Since I know I’m under trained and not 100% better yet, I’ve come to accept that if I need to walk a good part of or all of my second half marathon then that’s okay.  The course time limit is 4 hours, which requires that I maintain a minimum pace of 18:18 min/mile.  When Preston and I walked the Disney World 10k, we maintained a 16:41 min/mile pace, and that included stopping for pictures with a couple characters.  That has me more than reassured about finishing within the course time limit, even if I have to walk all 13.1 miles.

Deep down, I know that if I don’t attempt the race that I’ll wonder if I could have done it this weekend.  Am I more physically prepared than I’m giving myself credit for?  Probably not, but I won’t know until I cross the start line Saturday morning.

I’ve been debating with myself about sharing publicly the finish time goals I set for myself a couple of weeks back.  After much debate, I’ve decided to go ahead and share them, even though I know that its highly unlikely that I’ll finish the race as fast as I wanted to when I originally set these goals for myself.

Goal A – Finish the race in under 2:45 (12:35 min/mile pace)

Goal B – Finish the race in under 3:00 (13:44 min/mile pace)

Goal C – Finish the race in under 3:15:58 (14:57 min/mile pace) – my current half marathon PR from the Disney World Half Marathon

And with what’s been going on over the past two weeks, I’m adding a fourth goal.

Goal D – Finish the race upright and in under 4:00 (18:18 min/mile pace)

QOTD: Do you ever adjust race goals as a result of an injury or illness?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to My Goals for Saturday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll USA Half Marathon

1. Kristin says:

You can do it!!! I’m sorry to hear about what has been happening with you but just go out there and do the best you can and have some fun. You’ll finish strong!! I’ll be thinking about you Saturday!! I’m doing the Shamrock Half Marathon Sunday!

2. You’re going to do great! Just listen to your body out there and walk when you need to walk! And I think your training has prepared you more than you expect. A lot of people do not run more than 10 miles when training for a half. You got this! 🙂

3. Sarah says:

Hi there! I agree with all the other comments- you are going to do much better than you think 🙂 And yes, I have adjusted goals based on the weather, training, illness, injury, etc. I always try to have at least 3 time goals for a race (one being to finish upright and smiling 🙂 ) so that I’m not disappointed in my performance.

Trust your conditioning. You’ve totally got this!

4. kathleenb85 says:

I’m with Mindy. While I’m a relatively new runner too, I’ve never done a long run over 10 miles before any of my four halfs. When I hit that 10 mile mark during each race, I just think… I have 3.1 miles to go…. that’s not so bad! The fact that you’ve already done 10 miles a few weeks ago, you’ll be ready… even though you had to take some time off! Just enjoy the race, the music and you’ll have Preston there pushing you along the way so that’s a plus too 🙂 You’ve totally got this!

5. You will be just fine. 🙂 No matter what time you finish with, you still got off the couch and moved for 13.1 miles! How many people can say they’ve done that? TWICE! You got this and all your fellow TrD’ers will be right there with you in spirit. 🙂

6. Absolutely! I had to adjust my goal for the Disney half after my knee injury! Good luck, I will be thinking of you!

7. Lauren says:

I’ll be running the DC RNR half too and just wrote a post about how I’m unprepared, haha! Hope it’s a fun race! Good luck!

8. I think you are making the smart choice — you’ve done everything you can in terms of prep given what happened and you’re just gonna see what happens. If you feel tired / dizzy / etc. then walk. If you want to run, run. Listen to your body and know that I’ll be cheering you on 🙂

9. Lindsay says:

I’ll look for you out on the course and you do the same!!! ❤ 🙂

10. Good luck on your race! You’ve put in the hard work and will have the tools to overcome your setback. The fact that you’re willing to go out there and still run this race is a huge accomplishment and more than most people can say they’ve done!

11. hbarnstein says:

Oh you got this thing 🙂 Long term that’s not that much time off, and many training plans don’t go past 10 anyway!

Good luck Kathryn! I know you will have a smart race!

13. brianna says:

I’m running Saturday but pulled my calf last month on a run. I’ve decide to totally change my goal…and strategy. I’m going to try the jeff galloway run walk method. I found your post from Twitter and happy to know I am not the only one with a new set of goals. Good luck out there and remember 13.1 miles is 13.1 miles no matter how fast – Enjoy!

Good luck, and I hope you have fun along the way!

15. You know I feel your pain on this one. Good luck to you and run a smart race 😉 there is no shame in walking!!

16. Pingback: Friday Five – March 14th – Off to the Races | From Dancing to Running

Kathryn, I hope you have a great race Saturday and are able to enjoy the running. You have very reasonable goals and only you will know what your body is capable of that morning. Smile and have fun!

18. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll USA Half Marathon Recap | From Dancing to Running

19. Pingback: Reflecting on My Past Half Marathon Training | From Dancing to Running