When Your Body Can’t Keep Up With Your Mind

Each day as I recover, I’m more and more eager to get back to a normal routine.  We’ve had a couple of snow days this week, which has eased the stress of writing sub plans for school, but yesterday as I wrote the sub plans for today it crossed my mind several times how much I would have rather been getting myself ready to go back to school instead of writing plans for a sub to follow.

Not only am I eager to get back to work but I’m also eager to get back to a normal workout routine.  Last Wednesday was the last time that I ran, and other than a short yoga session last night I haven’t worked out at all.

My body and my mind are not on the same page right now.  I have yet to go a day since I was in the hospital without needing to take at least one nap during the day.  Much of my time has been spent on the couch.  I haven’t left our apartment once since getting home on Saturday, and I’m getting cabin fever.

Yesterday FitFluential posted this reminder on both Instagram and Facebook:

bepositive

Its a difficult reminder for me.  I’m eager to get up and get moving, but I also know that the more time I take now to rest and recover the more prepared I’ll be when I do return to a normal routine.

I know I need to take things one day at a time.  My type A personality has me wanting to get back to the grind, and feeling guilty about not being able to go to work or the gym, even though I know I shouldn’t be.  I have to take things one day at a time and wait until I have the all clear from the doctor to return to my normal routine.  Its certainly much easier said that done since at this moment my body cannot keep up with my mind.

QOTD: When you are sick or injured, are you eager to get back to your normal routine or do you relish in the necessary rest and relaxation?

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to When Your Body Can’t Keep Up With Your Mind

1. Kristin says:

I feel your pain!!! 😉 When I am sick, I go craaaazy trying to convince myself that this is what I need to do, that I need to rest!! I need a routine or I am completely miserable!! Hang in there!!

2. I absolutely know how you feel! I was just discussing this last night with my husband about how I couldn’t wait to feel “normal” again. I have so much pain in my knee and hips that it hurts to even stand! I know there are others who have it much worse so I shall not complain, but it is frustrating when you want to go out and do the things you normally do ( run, exercise) and you can’t! I hear ya! I hope you recover quickly too!

3. Each time I start feeling aggravated about not being able to work out, how much I want a different job, or what I would give to hit the Powerball big :), I just remember someone always has it worse than me. Keeps things in perspective. Hang in there girl, you’ll get back to where you’re supposed to be!

4. I definitely understand! I always feel guilty when I take rest days…even though I know it’s what is best for my body. You’re doing the right thing! You will be out there in your normal routine before you know it! Hang in there!

5. joedalio says:

Thanks for the excellent words! I found the quote especially inspirational. My experience is that the body soon catches up with the mind, and it will happen for you too. To answer your question, as much as I would want to get going, I sometimes cherish those sick days where I just have to stay in bed in relax. It’s me saying yes to God’s cue to slow down and take a break 🙂

6. Jessie says:

I wish I could relax but all I think about it how much I miss my runs/workouts! Hang in there, you’ll be back to normal soon 😉

7. Nathan says:

You have the attitude and drive to accomplish anything you want in this sport. Thanks for your honest comments and I 100% agree with you, this sport can be mental sometimes. You really have to prioritize your time and many times, time manage to accomplish what needs to get done. I have followed you on twitter and anytime you need support please contact me.

8. I’m the same way. I hate just sitting around and resting, even when I know that’s what I need to do. I also worry about what’s going on a school when I have a sub! My control-freak personality makes me hate when I’m not the one in control of my classroom for a day

• I feel the exact same way, Amy. Since Friday’s absence was last minute, I had three different subs, one for each of my classes. Yesterday I had a different sub, and today yet a different one. I hate being out of the classroom and not giving my students the consistency they need!

9. Kristen says:

I know how dedicated you are, and how eager you must be to get back to work. I’m sure you’re getting bored, too. But like you say, the more you rest the stronger you’ll be when you come back.

• If any teacher can sympathize with me, its you Kristen. I’m going a bit stir crazy, but fortunately have plenty of blog reading, grading (too many AP World DBQs for my liking), and bad reality TV to keep me company while I’m stuck at home. Fortunately, I have a very reliable sub who started for me today, and will be there for me tomorrow and Monday as well. He even e-mailed me a couple of times throughout the day today to keep me updated on what’s going on at school. 🙂

10. neurosciency says:

i hope you feel better soon! in general, i tend to err on the side of caution and take more rest days than i need when i’m not feeling well. i feel like it’s better to return to my workout routine strong than possibly make myself more sick/injured.