2014 Jaguar 5k Recap

This past Saturday, I ran my first repeat race, the Jaguar 5k.  This race is an annual athletics fundraiser for Falls Church High School, the school I taught at for the first five years of my teaching career.  I went into the race excited about not only running a repeat race but also knowing that I’d see several friends at the race.  After a couple weeks of successfully increasing my 5k speed, I was very confident going into Saturday’s race.  My confidence, in addition to the perfect running weather (it was sunny and in the low 50s), made for perfect race conditions.

The race started at 8:30am, but we arrived around 7:30 to pick up our bibs and to meet up with friends.  Since fewer than 1,000 people ran the race, bib pickup was easy, and we had plenty of time to take our race shirts back to the car before heading to the start line.

Before the start of this year's Jaguar 5k

Before the start of this year’s Jaguar 5k

Because I ran this race last year, I knew that the course was relatively flat (for this area), with one major hill at the halfway point of the course.  Last year, the hill got the best of me and I had to walk the hill.  I knew I wanted to conquer the hill this year, and I’m so glad that I accomplished that goal.

When the race started, my confidence got the best of me, and I started the race at too fast a speed.  When I got to the one mile marker and realized that I was running a sub ten minute per mile pace, I knew that I needed to better pace myself or else I’d burn out and not meet my goal time.  I made it to the hill halfway through the race, successfully ran up it, and continued running all the way to the water station at just before the end of the second mile.  I walked through the water station, and as I started running again faced difficulty getting back into a good groove.  I had to walk a second time to catch my breath, and had I not started the race as fast as I did I probably would have made it through the race without the second walk break.

The course finished with a lap around the school track, and as I neared the track I tried to push my speed, but my legs didn’t want to run as fast as my head wanted to.  I wanted to sprint the last .2 miles of the race, particularly since it was on the track and the flattest part of the course, but my body wasn’t up for tackling the challenge.

After crossing the finish line runners got a high five from the FCHS mascot, the Jaguar

Nonetheless, I crossed the finish line in 31:40 (10:12 min/mile pace), which is a 44 second PR from last year’s race, which prior to Saturday was also my fastest 5k race time.  My B goal was to finish in under 31:51 (10:15 pace), and I’m beyond ecstatic that I met this goal and beat last year’s time.

It felt incredible to PR at Saturday's race!

It felt incredible to PR at Saturday’s race!

After running the race, there was nothing like refueling with pizza and a banana.  This was a high school race after all – what teenager doesn’t appreciate pizza at 9:00 in the morning?

Who doesn

Who doesn’t love indulging on some post race pizza?

I can’t wait to run this race again in 2015, so that I can attempt to improve my finish time even more!

QOTD: What is your favorite post race food?

About these ads
This entry was posted in Milestones, Races and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to 2014 Jaguar 5k Recap

1. Congrats Kathryn! I love seeing friends have great races and I’m really excited to see how well you are racing this year! :) Keep up the good work!

Congrats, sounds like it was a great race for you! Post-race pizza sounds delicious :) So far my tradition has been post-race brunch somewhere decadent.

3. mlavens says:

Post-race pizza is a new one! I’ve never seen that at the end of a race. I typically stick with bagels after. Haha.

Congrats on a great race!

4. Congratulations on your PR girl!!!

5. runsaltrun says:

Great recap and awesome improvement on your time! I’m not really a pizza in the morning kind of person, but that does sound kind of nice after a hard run. I am always hightailing it to the nearest Starbucks after a race!

6. AWESOME! Congrats on your PR. It’s always great to be able to see your own improvement! :) I would totally eat pizza in the morning, haha — it does make a perfect post-race meal!

7. Rachel says:

Nice job! I’m doing my first repeat 5K on Sunday, coupled with a long run. Not sure if I should try to PR and long run after, or long run before and loop the 5K in at the end.

And yeah… pizza at 9 am? Can’t beat it!

Congrats again!

8. Stephanie says:

Congrats on your new PR! :)

I ran this race as well and finished right in front of you. How neat!

9. woot woot! i would’ve loved post race pizza — they had pizza after the richmond marathon (another reason it’s awesome!) :)

10. runawaybridalplanner says:

Great re-cap! I am a pizza girl too, that would be my favorite post race food too:) Cute pictures!

11. Great job! As a teacher, I’d love to run a race that supported my school :)
    My favorite post-race food is a banana. I really don’t like them at any other time, but after running they are great! I also like to refuel with chocolate milk. It sounds weird, but I tried it after RnRVB last year, and I’ve never felt better after a race!

Way to go Kathryn! You’ve had some awesome training runs as of late – knew you would have a great 5K! Post race pizza actually sounds good!

13. YAY! Congrats to you on the PR! I would love to have a slice of pizza after a race! I’ve never ran a race that offered any really great post race food, except for the J and A races in VA Beach. They always offer some sort of soup/chowder in a bread bowl. That’s pretty yummy!

14. Pingback: May 2014 Monthly Goals | From Dancing to Running

15. Juliana says:

Congrats on your PR! It’s so great to run a course you have run before, you know so much more the second (and 3rd and 4th) time around.

16. Christy says:

I’m a new collower from Mindy @ Road Runner Girl. Congrats on your PR! My favorite post race food is an orange.

17. Pingback: My Goals for Sunday’s BA5k | From Dancing to Running