So Many Races to Consider!

Since I started running almost a year ago, I’ve come to realize that I need to have an upcoming race to train for in order to be motivated to run.

My current race bling collection.  I can't wait to add more to the pile!

My current race bling collection. I can’t wait to add more to the pile!

This is one of the many reasons that I’m determined to complete 14 races in 2014.  Thus far, I’ve completed two – the Disney World 10k and the Disney World Half Marathon.  I’ll run Rock ‘n’ Roll USA in just over three short weeks, and the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in a little over six weeks.  But I’ve been struggling to figure out which other races I will add to my calendar in 2014.

14in2014

Why am I struggling?  The problem I’m facing is not that there aren’t enough races, but rather the opposite – that there are too many great races to choose from!  We are blessed here in the DC area to be home to some of the country’s most prized races.  Last year I also fell in love with a local running store’s race series.  I ran four races with Potomac River Running last year, and am looking forward to running many races with them again this year.

Preston and I are also debating a return trip to Disney World in November for the 5th anniversary of the Wine and Dine Half Marathon.  Finances and leave from work are our top considerations for this race, particularly since there are so many other places we’d love to travel to.

Last month I posted my tentative 2014 race calendar as part of my announcement to complete 14 races in 2014.  My updated race calendar with possible races is as follows:

March 2nd – Reston 10 Miler

(I’m keeping a close eye on the weather for this one – it’ll be a last minute decision!)
March 15th – Rock ‘n’ Roll USA Half Marathon
April 6th – Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
April 26th – Jaguar 5K

July 4th – Firecracker 5K
August 31st – Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon
September 6th – Arlington Police, Fire & Sheriff 9/11 Memorial 5K
September 27th – Clarendon Day 10K
September 28th – Perfect 10 10K or 10 Miler
October 12th – Army Ten Miler
October 18th – Baltimore Half Marathon
October 26th – Marine Corps Marathon 10K
November 8th – Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

November 9th – Veteran’s Day 5K
(races in italics are possible races – I haven’t registered for them yet)

Clearly, there’s a lot of races I’m considering right now.  I’ve learned over the past year that I love the thrill of racing!

If there’s a race that you’ve run before that you’d recommend, especially if its a local DC race or within driving distance, I’d love to hear your recommendations!  Even if its not within driving distance, I’ve also been starting my race Bucket List, and am always looking for more ideas for that list as well.

QOTD: What race are you most looking forward to running in 2014?

About these ads
This entry was posted in Motivation, Races and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to So Many Races to Consider!

1. Gabby says:

I’m running Baltimore and Wine and Dine this year too! I’ve heard great things about the Frederick Half in May too. If you complete Baltimore and Frederick you get an extra medal for doing the MD Double :)

2. Stephanie B. says:

Have you looked into the Marine Corps Historic Half in Fredericksburg? It’s on Sunday, May 18 this year. There are three races; 5K, 10K, and half marathon. Very popular events and not too far from DC. The Marines really know how to hold an event. You won’t be disappointed!

3. We’ve done RnR VA Beach the past several years, Love that race! Will more than likely do it again too! We will have to meet up! Have you checked out the Diva half Marathon Series ( and 5K)? There was one in NOVA/DC area last year I wanted to run but the date conflicted with something else. I believe it’s in Sept/oct. I don’t know how far Bethlehem is from you or how far you are willing to drive for the weekend but the Runner’s World Festival in PA was a lot of fun! You can get 3 races in that weekend: 5K, 10K, and half. Good luck with your goal! I did 13 races in 2013 without even realizing it. They really started to add up quick!

• If I sign up for Virginia Beach then we’ll definitely have to meet up!

And I looked into the Diva half in DC and Runner’s World last year but as you said, there’s so many events on the same day! I’ll definitely have to add them to the bucket list and see if they can be worked in this year.

4. I can’t give you any recommendations since we live so far apart but I know exactly what you mean about there being so many races out there to choose from! I tend to run the same races over and over but this year I’d like to venture out some!

5. kathleenb85 says:

Baltimore is on my list too!! Not this year, because I couldn’t pass up a great deal for an International Half in Detroit that I can drive to :) There are so many great races and I’m like you, I need to be training for something to be motivated to run!

6. cheriarmour says:

I’m getting married this year, so I’ve definitely had to pull back on how much I can do. This year, the only things on the calendar are the Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh, the full, and the Nike Women’s Half in DC. I’m also thinking about doing the Rock ‘n’ Roll USA, but we will see. This wedding planning has GOT to get done!

7. I’ll see you at the Reston 10 Miler and Cherry Blossom! I loved the Clarendon Day 10k last year – I did the double and ran the 5k then the 10k, which was tough but fun!

8. Ashley @ Brocblog says:

I have my first race of 2014 this sunday and I am beyond excited. I also have 3 other races between now and may but I havent really planned out the second half of my year.

9. I ran RnR VB last year! I really enjoyed it, but just be aware that there is a non-shaded part between 7-9 miles with no water stops. It was HOT and I really regretted not carrying water with me last year. I’m still trying to decide if I want to do it again this year!

I am debating between the W&D half or the RnR Savannah half. They are both on the same weekend, and I can’t figure out what to do! I’ve also heard good things about the Richmond, VA Marathon weekend (they have a half, too) in mid-November.

• There are so many great races to choose from in mid-November. So many races, so little time!

Thanks for the heads up about VB. My husband ran the half last year, and I ran the 5k, and we both remember very well just how hot and humid it was that day. The weather is the main reason why we’re debating running it this year.

Have R10 and CB10 on my list as well! Love sharing schedules with other local bloggers. The MCM10K is always fun and I enjoy watching the marathon following the race. November has tons of races, but if you are not afraid of heights there is the Across the Bay 10K http://www.bridgerace.com/

11. kristenk says:

I’m also struggling with signing up for races because there are too many good ones! I have 7 that I’ve signed up for through the first weekend of May so I have to do 7 more throughout the year to reach my 14 races goal! It shouldn’t be too hard, especially with all the awesome races I want to do in the fall!

12. shanaran says:

I have a spreadsheet of all the races I want to do…it’s just hard to cap off money wise and travel wise!

13. Pingback: Best Moments of 2014 Marathon Weekend | From Dancing to Running

14. Chelsea says:

You are so lucky to have so many races accessible to your area! I have also decided to run 14 in 2014, but it is extremely difficult to find races anywhere near me. I have done two virtual races so far, simply because there are none in the area around me. Good luck in your upcoming races! Can’t wait for the Rock n’ Roll Half Recap!

15. Pingback: I’ve Run Two Half Marathons…What’s Next? | From Dancing to Running